Interesting fact.

Nebraska is regressing. I'll believe the better talent chestnut when I actually see a better product.

Please, elaborate.

In 2009 they were a disputed second away from a BCS bowl and had an all world defense.

Their defense now gets completely dominated in the trenches and threatens to set futility records every game against a team with a pulse.

I really wouldn't have to say more than that. But if these recruits are so amazing right now, why can't they get onnthenfield over the previous misses?

If you honestly expected us to be better than 2009 I don't know what to say. Every defense on the planet would be better with Suh and every defense would be worse without him. It's that simple.

I don't think it's any secret we need to recruit better and have done so the past two seasons.

I think our great recruiting the past two years would come as a surprise to people outside of Nebraska. The last two classes have been, maybe, marginally better in terms of the rating services and offer lists. They have been wildly better in the eyes of self-styled amateur recruitniks who think they can evaluate talent by reading message boards and watching a 5-minute highlight video.

So far, the results are inconclusive. I think our younger guys look more athletic to some fans because those fans desperately want them to be more athletic. If you listen to Husker fans, the freshman are always faster and more athletic than the upperclassmen who have been in the program a few years.

If you are saying I'm a hopeful Husker fan who thinks our defensive line is going to be pretty dang good......then you are correct.

Nebraska is regressing. I'll believe the better talent chestnut when I actually see a better product.

Please, elaborate.

In 2009 they were a disputed second away from a BCS bowl and had an all world defense.

Their defense now gets completely dominated in the trenches and threatens to set futility records every game against a team with a pulse.

I really wouldn't have to say more than that. But if these recruits are so amazing right now, why can't they get onnthenfield over the previous misses?

If you honestly expected us to be better than 2009 I don't know what to say. Every defense on the planet would be better with Suh and every defense would be worse without him. It's that simple.

Yes. I thought and expected that Nebraska would be better than a four loss team at this point that was undisciplined 4 years after the fact. Especially when this was the year everyone was pointing to as the breakthrough.

No way anyone can possibly say one of the most respected academic schools in the nation that is in the state of California has as many built in disadvantages as NU.

athletes could not care less about academics. c'mon man.

Hoping there was sarcasm here.

You don't get to have both sides of the argument about places like the sec and then use the academics argument.

"Athletes" is a very general term and to say that some "athletes" don't choose a school because of the academics is foolish. Cain Kolter was committed to Stanford because of academics and Andrew Luck graduated at the top of his class in HS. To make the claim that athletes don't care about academics is very untrue. Add in the fact that Stanford is located in one of the nations most populated state and a state in the top five in terms of producing HS talent and there you have it.

The SEC is all about location plain and simple.

Stop ignoring facts to suit your misguided argument.

Please, elaborate.

At this point in 2009, we were just coming off a 21 point loss at home to a Top-15 team and a loss at home to an Iowa State team that won 7 games all year. This year, we lose by 20 at home to a Top-15 team and a loss on the road to a team that already has 7 wins. That year we have Suh and already lost to VaTech, also. This year, we have serious injury problems and control our own destiny.

Glass half-empty or glass half-full depending on your agenda.

No way anyone can possibly say one of the most respected academic schools in the nation that is in the state of California has as many built in disadvantages as NU.

athletes could not care less about academics. c'mon man.

Hoping there was sarcasm here.

You don't get to have both sides of the argument about places like the sec and then use the academics argument.

"Athletes" is a very general term and to say that some "athletes" don't choose a school because of the academics is foolish. Cain Kolter was committed to Stanford because of academics and Andrew Luck graduated at the top of his class in HS. To make the claim that athletes don't care about academics is very untrue. Add in the fact that Stanford is located in one of the nations most populated state and a state in the top five in terms of producing HS talent and there you have it.

Irony.

Stanford's a pretty rare case. Just an exceptional university in pretty much all areas.

Is Oklahoma a better example then? Or Wisconsin?

Yeah, Oklahoma's a very good example, actually.

They've had a pretty outstanding run for a lot of years. Once or twice they didn't get to 9 wins, but look at all the seasons around that.

so... bo peaked too soon?

We are a lot more rounded as a program now than we were in 09 and I don't see how anyone can disagree there. Is our defense better than 09? Of course not. We will probably never see another Suh. But are we better in other areas? Absolutely.

a lot of cherry picking for someone accusing someone else of ignoring facts to suit a misguided argument. two athletes that may or may not have cared about academics and one school in the nation that benefits from strong academics. or wait, we better watch out for that up-and-coming football powerhouse harvard.

a lot of cherry picking for someone accusing someone else of ignoring facts to suit a misguided argument. two athletes that may or may not have cared about academics and one school in the nation that benefits from strong academics. or wait, we better watch out for that up-and-coming football powerhouse harvard.

Location.

I think our great recruiting the past two years would come as a surprise to people outside of Nebraska. The last two classes have been, maybe, marginally better in terms of the rating services and offer lists. They have been wildly better in the eyes of self-styled amateur recruitniks who think they can evaluate talent by reading message boards and watching a 5-minute highlight video.

So far, the results are inconclusive. I think our younger guys look more athletic to some fans because those fans desperately want them to be more athletic. If you listen to Husker fans, the freshman are always faster and more athletic than the upperclassmen who have been in the program a few years.

If you are saying I'm a hopeful Husker fan who thinks our defensive line is going to be pretty dang good......then you are correct.

I can't hate on you for being an optimist and I hope you turn out to be right. Hope springs eternal from the Ogallala Aquifer :D

I hate to be the one to say it but 2009 is no gold standard of defense. If we're going to resign ourselves to it always being worse than that, then count me out. Sure Suh would make any defense better but hopefully that year is no insurmountable pinnacle of greatness. Suh only makes it all that more obvious that we have issues on that side of the ball. He was a once every 25s year type of player. If we need another Suh to play good defense, we might be waiting a long long time. There are eleven guys that can contribute.

I hate to be the one to say it but 2009 is no gold standard of defense. If we're going to resign ourselves to it always being worse than that, then count me out. Sure Suh would make any defense better but hopefully that year is no insurmountable pinnacle of greatness. Suh only makes it all that more obvious that we have issues on that side of the ball. He was a once every 25s year type of player. If we need another Suh to play good defense, we might be waiting a long long time. There are eleven guys that can contribute.

21 years to be exact!