The First Game We're Supposed to Lose?

Zaimejs

Im feeling mixed about this. Momentums on our side but jeebus is the location just not the worst. Maybe we will be competetive but it feels like another nail biter.

Not to mention the officials getting intimidated/involved by the huge crowd. I can't help but remember two years ago when a pathetic roughing the punter call really sealed the deal.

We should comfortably win this game. We are better than Michigan but who knows what will actually happen.

What is it that makes you believe this?

I mean it literally. What about our team right now makes you believe we should walk into Michigan and win that game comfortably? I'm trying to understand the mindset of fans like this?

Home Field Advantage + Mich

Coming off last game results + Nebraska

Head Coaching + Nebraska

Coordinators + Mich (slightly)

End result: Nebraska by slim margin

slightly? by a WIDE margin.

Based on ... what exactly? That you don't like ours?

Nebraska is #21 in scoring offense. Michigan is T-22.

Nebraska is #29 in total offense. Michigan is #64.

Nebraska is #46 in scoring defense. Michigan is #68.

Nebraska is #70 in total defense. Michigan is #28.

Nebraska has played the #101 SOS (Sagarin). Michigan has played #66.

The last five years (starting with 2013), Rivals has ranked Nebraska's recruiting classes #17, #25, #15, #22 and #28 (average: 21.4). Michigan has been ranked #5, #7, #21, #20 and #8 (average: 12.2). And that doesn't even take into account a fact that you like to bring up (iirc): that several of the higher ranked recruits have since left NU.

So in the four major categories, we're even with them in one, way ahead in two and way behind in one. Even adjusting for SOS that's at best a wash. And they have had significantly better recruiting class rankings than we have the over the last five years. So they're basically doing the same job with more talent, but they are much better, right?

We should comfortably win this game. We are better than Michigan but who knows what will actually happen.

What is it that makes you believe this?

I mean it literally. What about our team right now makes you believe we should walk into Michigan and win that game comfortably? I'm trying to understand the mindset of fans like this?

Because, man! Huskers, at home, beat a winless-in-conference NW on a last-second hail mary pass. How does that not exude confidence lol

Head Coaching + Nebraska

slightly? by a WIDE margin.

Based on ... what exactly? That you don't like ours?

Name recognition.

Greg Mattison has the track record of being a better defensive coordinator. Greg Mattison was defensive coordinator of Florida from 2005-2007, and was the defensive coordinator of the Baltimore Ravens. Al Borges was the offensive coordinator of Auburn from 2004-2007.

Papuchis nor Beck have that track record. So, in a matter of convenience, people will assume that Borges and Mattison are MUCH better coordinators--but the stats don't really back that claim. At least they don't this year, which is really all that matters in this context.

Im feeling mixed about this. Momentums on our side but jeebus is the location just not the worst. Maybe we will be competetive but it feels like another nail biter.

I have zero feeling on what to expect for sure. Everyone thinks it is going to be a pretty high scoring affair so I predict just the opposite. Two teams that have some of the same issues, same talent level in my opinion and coaches who are taking heat. Just like to come out with a win but know they have not been beat at home since Hoke has been there.

Teams =

Head Coaching + Nebraska

I see a similar score like last week. Maybe 50 total points. No blowout by any means but the team that takes control in the third wins it.

What I think will happen:

Michigan is 19-0 at home under Brady Hoke. But they have been the image of inconsistency this year. One week they're blowing Minnesota out of the water, 42-13. The next week, they're either scraping by Akron or winning a shootout against Indiana. They haven't been Good Michigan for 3 weeks--losing in 4OT to Penn State, surrendering 47 points to Indiana, and accumulating -48 rushing yards in a 29-6 loss against Michigan State.

The onus will be on TA and RKIII as well as Beck to execute and call pass plays that make our offense successful. We are going to be able to run the ball. But the success of our running game will hinge in large part to the success of our passing game. We shouldn't force the ball downfield unless it's been set up. I think we aren't going to be in too much trouble offensively. Probably somewhere in the 28-35 point area.

This game will be decided based on how well we are able to contain Michigan's offense. I hope Michigan paid attention to the frequency with which we blitzed Northwestern in the second half. If they do, they are going to more than likely try to air it out to Gallon. That's fine. Still blitz and make Gardner throw tough passes. He's prone to interceptions and we have one of the best ball-hawking corners in the Big Ten.

This game is more than winnable. This Michigan team isn't the same Michigan team that it was in 2011. The circumstances are much different. They have no sense of urgency anymore. We do. We're going to go into Ann Arbor 6-2. We're going to walk out of Ann Arbor 7-2.

Nebraska wins, 31-23.

Seeing the stats scares me. I am a sort-of coach... not athletics, but still the same theory. I was just thinking about my team going up against a team with an amazing amount of raw talent. We couldn't compete. We're better than most other teams, but because of numbers, recruiting, what have you, we just don't measure up to the elite. That's what worries me about Nebraska. I have always thought that we have had the players to do well, but what if that's just not true. We just don't have the talent to measure up. So we go into these games with our tradition high-hope fandom Kool-aid drinking selves... but in reality, it's one mediocre team vs. a team that has better players. And sometimes, occasionally, we'll win that game, but most of the time we'll lose and lose badly.

I know I don't make much sense... it just dawned on me that maybe Nebraska is just that type of team. Up against any of the "real" teams in the NCAA we have no chance of winning just because they are that much better.

On the bright side... I think if Tommy throws no picks, we win by a touchdown.

Based on Bospective, beins it's a game we're supposed to lose, I'm looking for a complete game. Dominant victory, that reels us all back in. Sucks back in the entire fanbase to an unforseen level of high so we can be kicked in balls again next week.

Normaly, i would totally agree with this but i lean towards the "if both teams have equal talent" we tend to fall WAY short. I would guess Michigan wins comfortable 24 - 14. Probably would be closer with a heathy Martinez, but not drastically different.

Based on Bospective, beins it's a game we're supposed to lose, I'm looking for a complete game. Dominant victory, that reels us all back in. Sucks back in the entire fanbase to an unforseen level of high so we can be kicked in balls again next week.

Normaly, i would totally agree with this but i lean towards the "if both teams have equal talent" we tend to fall WAY short. I would guess Michigan wins comfortable 24 - 14. Probably would be closer with a heathy Martinez, but not drastically different.

On paper I completely agree. What we do not know is will the momentum of the katch carry into Saturday? Will we stumble and have a turnover filled day? Will we win this one only to lose the next one? Stay tuned. It's going to be a great game to watch.

Seeing the stats scares me. I am a sort-of coach... not athletics, but still the same theory. I was just thinking about my team going up against a team with an amazing amount of raw talent. We couldn't compete. We're better than most other teams, but because of numbers, recruiting, what have you, we just don't measure up to the elite. That's what worries me about Nebraska. I have always thought that we have had the players to do well, but what if that's just not true. We just don't have the talent to measure up. So we go into these games with our tradition high-hope fandom Kool-aid drinking selves... but in reality, it's one mediocre team vs. a team that has better players. And sometimes, occasionally, we'll win that game, but most of the time we'll lose and lose badly.

I know I don't make much sense... it just dawned on me that maybe Nebraska is just that type of team. Up against any of the "real" teams in the NCAA we have no chance of winning just because they are that much better.

On the bright side... I think if Tommy throws no picks, we win by a touchdown.

He'll throw a pick...mainly because Beck will shove the passing game down his throat, probably after we have success running the ball.