Defensive Shortcomings

I know that I'll get beat to death for posting this, but something I've seen from the first game till now, and it's driving me crazy...

The inability for the defense to make the tackle at initial contact.

I wonder how many long gains would have been avoided and how many scoring drives negated? I think that this would have affected the outcomes and scores of every game that has been played this year and could have this team sitting undefeated...

I know that I'll get beat to death for posting this, but something I've seen from the first game till now, and it's driving me crazy...

I wonder how many long gains would have been avoided and how many scoring drives negated? I think that this would have affected the outcomes and scores of every game that has been played this year and could have this team sitting undefeated...

I don't have problem with anything you're saying. If our defense plays anywhere close to the way we did in '09-'10 we are probably undefeated. Might have still lost to UCLA. Offensive woes.

I don't have problem with anything you're saying. If our defense plays anywhere close to the way we did in '09-'10 we are probably undefeated. Might have still lost to UCLA. Offensive woes.

If you get a chance, if you're watching any game replays from earlier this year, watch how many of the guys on D, make initial contact, but fail to tackle...

If you get a chance, if you're watching any game replays from earlier this year, watch how many of the guys on D, make initial contact, but fail to tackle...

Its been a problem for a few years now. We also have problem with poor angles. Most of players seem to run to where the ball carrier "was" instead of "is."

Did you just wake up out of a coma?? Everyone has known this has been a problem for awhile now. Even crazier is its not just us. Watch football at any level, tackling sucks!! I was drilled at a young age to wrap up and drive. It was something that stuck with me my entire football career. Its simple, its just not being taught well or drilled into kids memories near enough now.

Did you just wake up out of a coma?? Everyone has known this has been a problem for awhile now. Even crazier is its not just us. Watch football at any level, tackling sucks!! I was drilled at a young age to wrap up and drive. It was something that stuck with me my entire football career. Its simple, its just not being taught well or drilled into kids memories near enough now.

Apparently you missed the Stanford/Oregon game... Stanford missed maybe 3 tackles the entire game.

saw-that-going-differently.gif

Ball+Space=Poor Tackling

The game is played much differently now than it was back in the day. In a perfect world you could wrap and drive but in open field, that is rarely the case. Their is no such thing as a bad open field tackle. Just find a way to get him down. Wrap and drive is how you are taught to tackle in the box. On the perimeter it is all angles and just get the ball carrier down.

Apparently you missed the Stanford/Oregon game... Stanford missed maybe 3 tackles the entire game.

I wouldn't go that far Stanford did a great job against Oregon, but they missed more than 3 tackles. Oregon also fumbled 2x in the red zone, that doesn't help you win.

Watch the Baylor/OU game. Oklahoma's defense looked like fools out there half they time. They tackled a lot of air.

• Fire 1

Ball+Space=Poor Tackling

The game is played much differently now than it was back in the day. In a perfect world you could wrap and drive but in open field, that is rarely the case. Their is no such thing as a bad open field tackle. Just find a way to get him down. Wrap and drive is how you are taught to tackle in the box. On the perimeter it is all angles and just get the ball carrier down.

It is different. But tackling fundamentals are still the same. Square up and wrap up. They work anywhere. It may be more difficult in space but still if you get the head in front and wrap the arms around the legs, the ball carrier is most likely going down.

It still comes back to our lack of discipline and fundamentals.