Need your help of opinions

Count 'Bility

Situation A: 8 man football. State playoffs. Up by twelve. 4 minutes or so left. 1st down at own 22. Opponent has no timeouts left. Regardless of playcalling throughout the game, what do you do?

Situation B: As a follow up to A, you get conservative and run 3 basic plays 3 downs to milk clock. You now have 4th and 2 at own 30. 1:58 remaining. Still up by twelve. Still no timeouts for opponents. Punt? Or go for it?

Too many other factors to consider.

1- What is the score? I know you're up by 12 but have to get a feeling for capabilities of the offenses and defenses.

2- Have they stuffed your run for less than 2 yards on more than a few occasions?

3- How many turnovers (funmbles/Ints) have you had?

Sit A) I try to run the clock out. That would indicate running it but, have to consider how your O has performed against their D. If you've been tearing them up passing without ints, I wouldn't shy away from doing whatever it takes to move the sticks

Sit B) 4th & 2- If I've had good success in short yardage obvious run situations, I go for it. If their D has been stifling then apparently your D has been tough too (since you're ahead by 12) I wouldn't be afraid to kick it. You're up by 12, they still have to score, and you may get the ball again up by 5 with hardly any time left.

Keep in mind- I know jack squat about 8 man football.

Run Both first and second down. If third and short remains, play action rollout right side with TE lines up same side. TE Feigns a block then run a short out route at the first down line. Let Qb decide to keep and run or dump to the TE for the first depending on the defensive pressure. If no pressure, I'd always take the safe bet and tell qb to use TE as blocker and keep the ball for the first down.

Punt. If your up by twelve, odds are your defense has made a few good stops. Don't put the pressure on you. Punt the ball and keep the pressure on them.

A) Run the football.

B) Very difficult situation for a guy like me. How well have we been running the ball?

Regardless, this is on the defense if this team blew a 12 point lead.

Up two scores on your own 30? You punt every time. If only up one score you might think about going for it but only if getting it would ice the game (i.e., you can run the clock out by kneeling on it).

A) Run the football.

B) Very difficult situation for a guy like me. How well have we been running the ball?

Regardless, this is on the defense if this team blew a 12 point lead.

Up two scores on your own 30? You punt every time. If only up one score you might think about going for it but only if getting it would ice the game (i.e., you can run the clock out by kneeling on it).

I think if you're in that situation(If only up one score) you still punt. Kick the ball high and cover it. You want as much distance between them and your goal line.

Game theory says go for it. How far can a high school kid punt anyway? By punting you're probably giving up a ~50% chance of ending the game for a net gain of 30 yards? Not worth it. Especially since you averaged more than 2 yards per play on your first 3 plays.

Isn't this the giltner choke job scenario from the other night

yes.

My co-worker was playing know-it-all-monday-morning-qb on me yesterday. Says the coach is an idiot for running 3 plays and then NOT going for it, since the somehow or another, it's his fault for not being able to see in a crystall ball and know that the defense wouldnt be able to tackle somebody all a sudden, or recover an onside kick. It's laughable. He's just pullin some hindsight, chickensh#t bs. Then claims that since it's 8 man, the basical principles of football dont apply and that punting and running were the wrong choices. I said i dont car if it's 8 man, 6-man, or 3 on 3 in the school yard, it's basic football. You have a 12 point lead and the other team has no timeouts, you run the ball and milk the clock. If you can hold em enough and/or recover an onside kick, your doomed to lose the game anyway, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Then he proceeds to spout of about how that strategy backfired on Northwestern in Lincoln, since they had 2 possession lead with only 2 minutes left and all :dunno

My whole point in the argument actually has nothing to do with what happened. It's the fact that the coach is in a pickle. Say he does open it up on 1st-3rd down. Throws a couple of incomplete passes. Stops the clock. Then has to punt anyway on a 4th and 8 or so with 3 1/2 mintues left instead of 2, and they lose, then he's an idiot for that. Or say he goes for it, and something happens and they dont get it, and they lose the same way, he's an idiot for not playing field position with a 12 point lead. Or they do get the 4th down, or a first down, and he's a genius. It's just comical. Like I said, it's hindsight, chickensh#t bs.

I brought up how Tom Osborne is still kinda viewed as a goat for a call he made 30 years ago to go for two when he didnt have to only becuase it failed. But if he gets that 2, he's a genius.

I think if you're in that situation(If only up one score) you still punt. Kick the ball high and cover it. You want as much distance between them and your goal line.

I agree I would probably still punt. But I'd at least think about it if I had a chance to ice the game - depending on how my running game and defense had been playing.