14 seasons with zero conference championships

JTrain

Just because you write a paragraph doesn't mean you're right. it's not that big of a deal, but the fan class-ism gets super old. we lost, let people be upset about it. we haven't won a conference title in 14 years, after chasing national titles for decades. i choose to let the fans who still remember our true identity communicate their thoughts. just because you have grown to accept our "less than" role in college football doesn't mean that others have to, or even should. And when it comes off as a preachy vibe is even more annoying. And FYI, I said we'd lose at least four this season... so you can save that "we weren't supposed to win a championship this year" stuff. Yeah there are injuries, but that doesn't hide the much larger issue of our identity in college football.... it's merely an excuse (a legit excuse, but still a small part of the machine).. Everyone has injuries. I think you know I don't have anything against you at all... just speaking my mind.

You're not a better fan than me because you bitch about the team on a message board. You're not more realistic, you're not more in tune with our "real identity" than me. You have a different opinion, and you preach at me no less than I preach at you.

No one is saying that anyone is a better fan than you. Good god this is childish. We are simply saying that people will have opposing views, deal with it and quit policing people on their "fan status". Picard-facepalm-animated.gif

• Fire 3

Just because you write a paragraph doesn't mean you're right. it's not that big of a deal, but the fan class-ism gets super old. we lost, let people be upset about it. we haven't won a conference title in 14 years, after chasing national titles for decades. i choose to let the fans who still remember our true identity communicate their thoughts. just because you have grown to accept our "less than" role in college football doesn't mean that others have to, or even should. And when it comes off as a preachy vibe is even more annoying. And FYI, I said we'd lose at least four this season... so you can save that "we weren't supposed to win a championship this year" stuff. Yeah there are injuries, but that doesn't hide the much larger issue of our identity in college football.... it's merely an excuse (a legit excuse, but still a small part of the machine).. Everyone has injuries. I think you know I don't have anything against you at all... just speaking my mind.

You're not a better fan than me because you bitch about the team on a message board. You're not more realistic, you're not more in tune with our "real identity" than me. You have a different opinion, and you preach at me no less than I preach at you.

Pretty defensive sir. You think that i'm trying to say that I'm a better fan than you? Thats what you got out of that? Really? :facepalm: I digress...

Pretty defensive sir. You think that i'm trying to say that I'm a better fan than you? Thats what you got out of that? Really? :facepalm: I digress...

You serious?

God this self-indulgent whining crap is tiring.

I find the intolerance with the frustration even more annoying, in times like these.

If you're expecting some kind of remorse for supporting this team, you're in for a long wait.

Go ahead and be frustrated. But being upset because the team didn't meet some arbitrary benchmark is on you, not the team. We're fans, so we expect that our guys will make the block, make the catch, run real hard and score the TD. We expect we'll make the tackle, break up the pass and get the sack.

But if we do all that all the time, we'll be National Champs every year. And that simply isn't realistic. We're a good team. We're playing .700 ball with a myriad of injuries, guys playing who should never have seen the field except in mop-up duty.

We were never going to win a Championship this season. We didn't have the defense to win our conference. When we lost 2/3 of our starting offense we didn't have the offense, either. So what do you expect? That all the tackles will still be made, all the catches, all the passes completed? That's completely unrealistic, and being distraught that it's not happening doesn't help anyone.

There are things we can critique about the game, or the team, or the coaches. But something like being upset about not winning conference championships... meh. They're pretty damned hard to win, especially when you still haven't even completed one recruiting cycle in your new conference.

We'll get there. But even if we don't, does that mean we throw in the towel on these guys? They haven't met our expectations, so let's pile on the angst?

I mean, if that's what you're calling me being "intolerant," that's what I call being a fan. And I'm not about to apologize for it.

Here's the thing:

Knapp never said anything in his post about being disappointed that we aren't going to win the national championship, conference championship, nor even appear in our conference championship game this year. Everybody wants to see their team win it all, and only 1 fan base will get to experience that joy every year. Sometimes, no team gets to win everything (I'm looking at you Alabama). So everyone is going to be disappointed.

Nobody is okay with being in a less than role in the grand scheme of college football. You're crazy if you think people are. Setting forth expectations that are way too high for what the team can realistically achieve given their talent and experience level leads you to be more disappointed than if expectations were more in-line with talent and experience levels. So when we have these crazy high expectations and we fail to meet them, the resulting disappointment comes off as over the top.

We all want our team to succeed. None of us are okay with it when we lose, but some of us are more understanding and thus less disappointed than others.

Whatever, it's college football. We're all going to miss it when it's gone in just over a month.

• Fire 1

You serious?

Yes. I am serious. I didn't make any outlandish claims. You made yourself pretty clear with your initial reply. :dunno

If you're not trying to be "More Fan Than Thou" then saying "i choose to let the fans who still remember our true identity communicate their thoughts. just because you have grown to accept our "less than" role in college football doesn't mean that others have to, or even should" was an exceedingly poor way to communicate that.

I find the intolerance with the frustration even more annoying, in times like these.

If you're expecting some kind of remorse for supporting this team, you're in for a long wait.

Go ahead and be frustrated. But being upset because the team didn't meet some arbitrary benchmark is on you, not the team. We're fans, so we expect that our guys will make the block, make the catch, run real hard and score the TD. We expect we'll make the tackle, break up the pass and get the sack.

But if we do all that all the time, we'll be National Champs every year. And that simply isn't realistic. We're a good team. We're playing .700 ball with a myriad of injuries, guys playing who should never have seen the field except in mop-up duty.

We were never going to win a Championship this season. We didn't have the defense to win our conference. When we lost 2/3 of our starting offense we didn't have the offense, either. So what do you expect? That all the tackles will still be made, all the catches, all the passes completed? That's completely unrealistic, and being distraught that it's not happening doesn't help anyone.

There are things we can critique about the game, or the team, or the coaches. But something like being upset about not winning conference championships... meh. They're pretty damned hard to win, especially when you still haven't even completed one recruiting cycle in your new conference.

We'll get there. But even if we don't, does that mean we throw in the towel on these guys? They haven't met our expectations, so let's pile on the angst?

I mean, if that's what you're calling me being "intolerant," that's what I call being a fan. And I'm not about to apologize for it.

Here's the thing:

Knapp never said anything in his post about being disappointed that we aren't going to win the national championship, conference championship, nor even appear in our conference championship game this year. Everybody wants to see their team win it all, and only 1 fan base will get to experience that joy every year. Sometimes, no team gets to win everything (I'm looking at you Alabama). So everyone is going to be disappointed.

Nobody is okay with being in a less than role in the grand scheme of college football. You're crazy if you think people are. Setting forth expectations that are way too high for what the team can realistically achieve given their talent and experience level leads you to be more disappointed than if expectations were more in-line with talent and experience levels. So when we have these crazy high expectations and we fail to meet them, the resulting disappointment comes off as over the top.

We all want our team to succeed. None of us are okay with it when we lose, but some of us are more understanding and thus less disappointed than others.

Whatever, it's college football. We're all going to miss it when it's gone in just over a month.

I really do not think that expecting our team to at least be ranked in the top 25 in year 6 of the pelini era is exceeding expectations. Yes, this team has been plagued with injuries this year. But we have also seen the same mental mistakes and miscues year in and year out. Losses to teams like Minny shouldn't be happening. Something is wrong with the formula that needs fixing. That is all we are saying. No one was expecting crystal balls at this point except Taylor Martinez (reference last years quote).

Here's the thing:

Maybe not Ok with being less than.... certainly tolerable of being less than, though.

Yeah, you're right... maybe we shouldn't place these super duper crazy high expections of losing only three games and competing for conference titles once maybe, oh i don't know, 14 years. Maybe you're right, maybe we need to look in the mirror and tell ourselves that we just want too dam much... we're too needy. *sarcasm*

If you're not trying to be "More Fan Than Thou" then saying "i choose to let the fans who still remember our true identity communicate their thoughts. just because you have grown to accept our "less than" role in college football doesn't mean that others have to, or even should" was an exceedingly poor way to communicate that.

If it sounds harsh, it is what it is... wasn't necessarily intended that way. But I think that I expressed exactly what I wanted to. There is no innuendo in that statement. I genuinely took your reply as someone who has grown tolerant of where we are in the grand scheme of college football. Are you not?