lets talk about officials

I don't want to sound like we should be blaming the officiating in this game on our loss. Our turnovers did that for us.

I do have a question for some who may be more in tune with rules and changes to rules.

Why was the punt that was downed at the one late in the first half not reviewed? The initial State player made a great play on the ball, he deflects the ball back to the one, the next guy to touch the ball has one foot in the endzone when he comes out of the endzone and downs it at the one. A player who is in the endzone can not slap, deflect or whatever you want to call it back into the field of play. (can he?)

The ensuing play we fumbled and state recovers at the 5 and scores just before half! Killer for momentum. Why did our coaches not ask for a review of the punt recovery and downing? They had too see this from the booth on replay.

Secondly, starting the second half we punt the ball down to around the state 10, our defender was clearly blocked in the back right at the point of the catch (attack) How is this call missed? INstead they return it to our 40 or so.

Lastly, Enuwa running his deep pattern in the 4th quarter when Dennard pulls his right arm down and Quncy probably would have clearly made this catch if not for interference on the play. He has Dennard beat on the route, he may have scored, at the least we would have had a first down and in state territory.

Not positive put I think all 3 ot those calls should have involved the same official on all ot them! When the big10 and the refs review this game I hope they call him out on his "lack" of action to make the right call.

State also got screwed big time on the "lineman downfield" which was questionable at best. The did however recover to score on the next play.

I don't like calling officials out, I believe the "back judge or possibly field judge" was involved in 3 calls or "no calls" that really hurt us. He should feel like a failure when he reviews the tape.

The punt being downed was questionable in my opinion. Apparently if you make initial contact with one foot in the endzone then hop back out it counts as downing it. The block in the back that wasn't called was obviously costly. The PI wasn't going to get called and coaches know that, which is why they teach the defender to play that way. Overall there wasn't much for controversy. We just pissed it down our leg as usual. Without the turnovers I think we win that game by 10 points, but who knows for sure...

The punt being downed was questionable in my opinion. Apparently if you make initial contact with one foot in the endzone then hop back out it counts as downing it. The block in the back that wasn't called was obviously costly. The PI wasn't going to get called and coaches know that, which is why they teach the defender to play that way. Overall there wasn't much for controversy. We just pissed it down our leg as usual. Without the turnovers I think we win that game by 10 points, but who knows for sure...

We win it by 11, 21-10.

The biggest were No-calls. The clips that were not called on the big punt return. Then of course the obvious intentional grounding that was not called a few plays later. That resulted in the punt being downed at the 1, hence the fumble and so on. Two no calls on obvious infractions that resulted in a 50 yard swing in field position. That swung the game. Didnt know it at the time cuz we kept fighting, but that ultimately was a huge swing.

Don't forget the kick catch interference on davie that was called even though it should have been overturned. The announcers even said that it was an invalid wave

did not about every one of these "no calls" come from the same area and same official???? If so he should be suspended for a game. The game is fast, really fast. Maybe it has passed him up and he needs to retire

On a fake field goal, is the holder allowed to catch the ball with his knee on the ground? Because the holder caught it, knee down, then tossed the ball to the kicker... Shouldn't that have been down at the spot? Would have been a game changer, I think it was a missed call.

Five turnovers forfeit all rights to referee bitching.

That's not true. The referees can't be used as an excuse (and nobody is) but they can still be critiqued.

I have the game on DVR and there are about ten plays I want to see again. Most of them have been mentioned here.

One thing I couldn't tell from the cheap seats, but why was Stanley's INT overturned? I know the ball hit the ground, but did he not maintain solid possession of it? It's a catch even if the ball touches the ground if he doesn't lose his grip when it hits.

On a fake field goal, is the holder allowed to catch the ball with his knee on the ground? Because the holder caught it, knee down, then tossed the ball to the kicker... Shouldn't that have been down at the spot? Would have been a game changer, I think it was a missed call.

He is allowed - but he didn't toss the ball to the kicker, he ran it himself. But that is an exception of a rule, that the holder is allowed to have possession with a knee down. Remember our fake field goal attempt with Alex Henery back in 2008 where Jake Wesch flipped it over his head?

The officials sucked consistently against both teams - not just ours.

I will say, though, that the student section's constant, unending, incessant booing was beyond hilarious. I was laughing for a long time while that was going on.

you're welcome.

I was in there too dork :) helping pereptuate it as much as I could because it was the funniest thing I'd been a part of at a sporting event in a long time.

On a fake field goal, is the holder allowed to catch the ball with his knee on the ground?

Yes. This is the lone exception to the "down" rule. Place holders are not "down" when they are in the holding position. If they were, you could never run a fake on a place kick, because the guy would have to be off the ground - a dead giveaway.

Five turnovers forfeit all rights to referee bitching.

That's not true. The referees can't be used as an excuse (and nobody is) but they can still be critiqued.

I have the game on DVR and there are about ten plays I want to see again. Most of them have been mentioned here.

One thing I couldn't tell from the cheap seats, but why was Stanley's INT overturned? I know the ball hit the ground, but did he not maintain solid possession of it? It's a catch even if the ball touches the ground if he doesn't lose his grip when it hits.

Didn't see it, but a girl next to me was listening to the radio on headphones and Matt Davison was saying there was absolutely no way it was a catch.

Honestly, if Stanley gets that ball, or if Jason Ankrah got one of his two, I think we win.