Chatelain's column - 2003 all over again

np_husker

If we want to make up for recruiting deficiencies, we need to amp up our strength and conditioning program. We need to take these 2 stars and make them play like 4 and 5 stars.

+1, it's time for us to return to our bread and butter. We need to bring back the cornfed linemen, the iron men running backs, the guys that just beat the sh#t out of you and seem to get less tired the more they beat the sh#t out of you.

I want Nebraska to return to being the most physical, tough, gritty team in college football. I think a Kansas State player from the 80s said "Nebraska was always very classy. They'd line up, kick your ass, then line up again." Only talk with the pads. We start doing that, we start winning championships again.

If we want to make up for recruiting deficiencies, we need to amp up our strength and conditioning program. We need to take these 2 stars and make them play like 4 and 5 stars.

4fcfc47d74b6a.preview-620.jpg

If I had a dollar for every pixel in that photograph, I would be broke. Exactly. Now, we have to do this more across the board. Especially up front in the trenches.

The location excuse is getting old....EZ-E knows recruiting and he should know that Lincoln, NE has always been located exactly where it is. It is not like we used to have beaches and sunny weather year round before Bo got here. We have ALWAYS recruited nationally. We have also usually held our own in the 500 mile radius. This staff has done a terrible job in that regard. What do you expect when your recruiting coordinator was a solich assistant for so many years though.

Ross Els was a Solich assistant?

Which kids did we miss from within the 500 mile radius that we had legit chances at?

He will tell you the long list of names of Nebraska kids we should have offered and all you will do is tell him we didn't have a legit shot with them, which would be complete bullsh#t. So what's the point. I already know your stance on this deal kiddo, so I'm not gonna argue with you, but this team needs more Nebraska kids on it. Why? Because there is talent in this state, and those kids give a f#*k about what they allow to happen out there.

I'm trying to think of Nebraska kids that we missed out on that would have been good enough to get us to play at the level we want to.

The location excuse is getting old....EZ-E knows recruiting and he should know that Lincoln, NE has always been located exactly where it is. It is not like we used to have beaches and sunny weather year round before Bo got here. We have ALWAYS recruited nationally. We have also usually held our own in the 500 mile radius. This staff has done a terrible job in that regard. What do you expect when your recruiting coordinator was a solich assistant for so many years though.

Which kids did we miss from within the 500 mile radius that we had legit chances at?

He will tell you the long list of names of Nebraska kids we should have offered and all you will do is tell him we didn't have a legit shot with them, which would be complete bullsh#t. So what's the point. I already know your stance on this deal kiddo, so I'm not gonna argue with you, but this team needs more Nebraska kids on it. Why? Because there is talent in this state, and those kids give a f#*k about what they allow to happen out there.

I'm trying to think of Nebraska kids that we missed out on that would have been good enough to get us to play at the level we want to.

It's an old model.

Get Nebraska kids for the trenches. Make them bigger, stronger and faster. And yes I've heard the mew from people like you how times have changed and other people do it. So nut the hell up and find a better way. There is one. It's happened before.

Then, go get your targets at skill positions elsewhere.

It's worked before. It'll work again.

It's an old model.

Get Nebraska kids for the trenches. Make them bigger, stronger and faster. And yes I've heard the mew from people like you how times have changed and other people do it. So nut the hell up and find a better way. There is one. It's happened before.

Then, go get your targets at skill positions elsewhere.

It's worked before. It'll work again.

You do realize Nebraska is not the only program in the country training their athletes and providing them with high-tech nutrition like we were in the 90's right? It's not 1994 anymore. That kind of philosophy wont work. Christ, there's pop-warner programs doing the kind of S&C and nutrition focus that Nebraska was so innovative in back then. Let it go man.

If we really wanna get back with this philosophy, we gotta generate an in state pride in the program that makes kids at age 4-5-6 want to become Huskers. That they want to start to develop their skills and physique at a young age. But with all this concussion bullsh#t and more and more parents not wanting their kids to play football, that wont happen either. There's a hell of a lot more to it now a days then flying Mr. Omaha BigMoney's personal leer jet out to North Platte municipal, drive an hour to Podunksandhill Nebraska, and offer the 285 pound rancher boy just because he weighs 285 pounds so we can "develop" him.

Theyre in the process of innovating. But innovation only goes so far. And all the new tricks of the trade dont stay secret as long as they used to anyway. Bottom line is, Nebraska was innovative in things that were ignored at that time. Literally ignored. The concept of strength training for football was laughed at when Boyd Epley joined the staff in '69 I believe. Now, everyone does it. Even the small baby programs. That landscape of college football, and the revenue and spending involved in the sport will not allow anyone to have such advantages.

I nominate NUPolo8 to come up with this innovative idea and pitch it to the University of Nebraska. He seems like just the person to do that since he has all the answers.

Really man? Ultimate cop out.

A University with the commitment to winning that Nebraska has doesn't have the resources to hire a guy to try and find a new way? And it's somehow my fault as an alumni, booster and fan that I can't think of the magic bullet for free to a bunch of defeatists on a message board? Ok man. You win. I hope you all wave your black participation ribbons to fire up the team for their next big home game loss against a team with a pulse.

If you think that's how it works Accountbilly, I feel bad for you.

Which part? Please specify.

Or is this one of those funny trolling comments youve been making, cuz youre really confusing me man.

And NUpolo. When did I say anything about not wanting to work hard? If that was something I implied, it was not intended. I simple pointed out that the advantages we used to have are not there no more. The emphasis put on those things, as well as college football in general anymore in terms of money and time, is so large that literally anyone who thinks theyre coming out with the next "big" thing, well, there's probably already 10 other programs trying it or already doing it. That's just the way it is. I agree that we need to strive to find every little advantage we can. I'm not totally convinced we are at this point either. I just argue the point that you seem to be making sound easier than it is. Like we can just take a bunch of big ole rancher boys and roll over the Big 10 like we used to in the Big 8.