Special teams.....

Comish

I just shook my head when I saw that. It didn't get much better as the game went on. Surprisingly Foltz was solid today, so there's that...

Yeah, when we were on our own one yard line, I had visions of him shanking about a 25 yard punt out of our end zone. Great play call by Beck ... or apparently Pelini.

When MSU ran the fake they did, we got outcoached BY A MILE.

Of all the fakes you can run, you turn your hands guy free to run up the middle?

You know why? Because they saw it on tape time after time that WE DO NOT SEND ANY PRESSURE off the edge to force any action if a bobbled snap, fake, potential block, hurried kick affect, etc.

They knew we simply sit back and expect the kick. So why not just run it up the middle?

It wasnt so surprising to me that

1) they faked it

2) they faked it the way they did

3) got it

Why do teams rugby punt? The punter waits a count, takes 3-4 steps to one side while his coverage descends, and punts a low line drive bouncing around inside the 10.

If we sent even ONE man to force action (not even block it, same as FG) we eliminate the time one has to kick or punt.

Simply outcoached on that front. And teams are/will exploit it.

Football is agame of inches and comes down to a few plays or a series almost every week against quality opponents. We are losing those inches and series consistently.

Hmmm, I remember us winning today, and against UM, and NW, and Purdue, and Illinois, and SDSU, and SoMiss, and Wyoming. zdid those not happen?

When MSU ran the fake they did, we got outcoached BY A MILE.

Of all the fakes you can run, you turn your hands guy free to run up the middle?

You know why? Because they saw it on tape time after time that WE DO NOT SEND ANY PRESSURE off the edge to force any action if a bobbled snap, fake, potential block, hurried kick affect, etc.

Actually, the coaches actually anticipated a fake and left the starting defense on the field. Problem was, that left us in good position to defend most fakes - run wide or a pass - but left us vulnerable to a run up the middle because we didn't have as many linemen as they did. We actually might have been better off with our FG unit because there likely wouldn't have been a hole there. But then they could have run a different fake as well.

I think we did what we thought we should to watch for a fake. Just didn't work out.

Didn't VV penetrate pretty deep on the fake? He has issues seeing the play and getting off blocks when he gets penetration. If he could figure that out he could be Suh'esk.

He did on that play and they ran on the other side of the guy blocking him but it probably wouldn't have mattered - if he would have gone the other way they could have run inside him.

But there have been a few screens this year that he's sniffed out and started chasing before they threw the pass and he's pursued to the sideline on several occasions. Still needs worked but I've been pretty impressed.

Same story today. We may be the most inefficient team in Div 1 on special teams.

And if we include the ill-fated fake punt, (not tecnically a special teams play, but in the area code), it's even worse.

First, we need to admit that if we applaud a successful fake, we can't necessarily be critical of a failed play (and I wish we would try things more often), but this year we have tried 2 fake punts.

The first had a reserve defensive tackle trying to juke the defender and instead lumbered just short of the line to gain. Today, we tried a fake from our own 20 or so with plenty of time on the clock and within a score of tying the game. Seems to me the timing and style of fake needs to considered. But, since the dismal results of the rest of Special teams doesn't seem of import to the coaches, I doubt this will either.

• 2 weeks later...

From today's Lincoln paper quoting Ross Ells, the special teams coach "We've got a shot to get our offense the ball back. We're concerned about roughing the kicker. Are we willing to take that risk? Not right now....with the fakes and making sure we're not getting penalties, lets make sure we get the offense the ball back"

That quote maybe the most disturbing admission I've read yet about our philosophy. It is in sync with the " lets NOT blitz on 3rd and 19" theory we witnessed last Saturday...i.e....passivity rather than attacking.

Wow!

More than the turnovers, more than "failed execution, more than faulty schemes, more than game management,...............That ATTITUDE bothers me the most about this season.

well, we can let Ells go now..........anyone can coach this way...f'ing waste!

You say 'coach'. I say 'do nothing and lay on my pile of cash.'