Recruiting for the QB spot?

Aaron Bailey

Kincade

Two that come to mind. I feel had we gotten either we wouldn't have taken Johnny. I'm more than happy we got Johnny though. He didn't start at the top of our board, but with the summer he had he ended up there.

Malik Zaire we wanted too, IIRC. But Stanton was def up there....Chip Kelly wanted him too.

Aaron Bailey

Kincade

Two that come to mind. I feel had we gotten either we wouldn't have taken Johnny. I'm more than happy we got Johnny though. He didn't start at the top of our board, but with the summer he had he ended up there.

Malik Zaire we wanted too, IIRC. But Stanton was def up there....Chip Kelly wanted him too.

I knew there was one I missed. Had Malik committed with Hart Johnny never would have been a Husker IMO.

Saw in a tweet that Walton (recent LB commit for us) that he was texting Zach and Darlington basically says he expects to be a battle next spring with Tommy and Stanton.

I read a report that Darlington is running, lifting heavy weights, and passing almost everyday. Based on these activities alone, Darlington's progress is very optimistic. The next step would be to see him start in some light practices (nothing full contact) then normal full-contact practices. These are big next steps, so he will have to work closely with his physician, but I would say, forgoing his senior year most likely has done a lot for the speed of his recovery. With Darlington's progress, I would not be surprised if we see him play in some no contact practices, maybe even for spring ball (which is more than it sounded like after his injury was first reported).

With Armstrong and Stanton, we should have at least one QB that can execute the offense well (the one who shows the best ball security should be the one who gets the gig next year). No need for another QB this class. Let's focus one our to big 2015 QB recruits.

Aaron Bailey

Kincade

Aaron Bailey... didn't he commit to Illinois..then think about coming back to us and we said no?

I know the staff thought they got the best (interested) QB on the board and it was affirmed by Chip Kelly trying to pluck him from us.

Aaron Bailey

Kincade

Aaron Bailey... didn't he commit to Illinois..then think about coming back to us and we said no?

I know the staff thought they got the best (interested) QB on the board and it was affirmed by Chip Kelly trying to pluck him from us.

I'm in no way complaining about JS and I wouldn't trade him for any other QB. But in January 2012 I don't think he was number one on our big board.

Correct about Bailey.

Aaron Bailey

Kincade

I'm in no way complaining about JS and I wouldn't trade him for any other QB. But in January 2012 I don't think he was number one on our big board.

Correct about Bailey.

Number one on our big board? Probably not. Number one on actually interested potential recruits? I think so. For instance, Malik Zaire said he was interested. I highly doubt there was any way he would've legitimately came here.

Aaron Bailey

Kincade

Correct about Bailey.

Number one on our big board? Probably not. Number one on actually interested potential recruits? I think so. For instance, Malik Zaire said he was interested. I highly doubt there was any way he would've legitimately came here.

Pulling a kid away from ND in that area is easier said than done.

If you think this staff is willing to do that to a kid just to win football games I feel sorry for you.

Kinda like how we trotted Martinez out there against Minnesota after he was a month into an 8 month injury?

Not even close to a good comparison. We are talking about Zach's brain, not his 2nd and 3rd toes.

What about playing Cody Green through a concussion?

Of course he's not going to play a guy who is ~0% like Darlington is now. But what about when he recovers to the point that he's 40% and doctors are saying "Yeah, probably should wait a little longer on this one" but Bo looks past that because it benefits him? What empirical evidence do you have suggesting Bo wouldn't play him then?

If you think this staff is willing to do that to a kid just to win football games I feel sorry for you.

Kinda like how we trotted Martinez out there against Minnesota after he was a month into an 8 month injury?

Not even close to a good comparison. We are talking about Zach's brain, not his 2nd and 3rd toes.

Of course he's not going to play a guy who is ~0% like Darlington is now. But what about when he recovers to the point that he's 40% and doctors are saying "Yeah, probably should wait a little longer on this one" but Bo looks past that because it benefits him? What empirical evidence do you have suggesting Bo wouldn't play him then?

I am not privy to the exact circumstances with the Cody Green deal but I do know there were rumors that he played against ISU with a concussion that year.

I think you are reaching pretty far on your last comments there.

I am not privy to the exact circumstances with the Cody Green deal but I do know there were rumors that he played against ISU with a concussion that year.

I think you are reaching pretty far on your last comments there.

Definitely reaching.

Good points made on the recruiting services. I tend to default to Rivals.com, so that is on me. Scout and ESPN saw things differently. That's good and I hope they're right. I do remember missing on Matt Alviti, who ended up at Northwestern. Then again, the guy didn't start this year and they all kinds of QB issues there with Coulter and Seimen. So maybe it was good that we missed on that guy.

It's interesting to talk about Tebow. He was a five-star and was a dual threat guy at Florida. Urban just gushes about the guy and with good reason. He put up some gaudy numbers for the Gators. I think the perception of Tebow as a pro, i.e. terrible thrower, is what I kind of get hung up on. And I think I might be hung up a little on the T-Mart experience. I think T-Mart was a great player for us in some regards and I admire all he did to over haul is throwing motion, but I don't want to have to go through that with anybody else.

In the perfect world, I want to see Nebraska select a guy who can distribute better than he can run.

Quite honestly, I think this is where we went off track in the Solich era. We did not have RBs and instead chose to make the QB the main run option. On other QBs, I think they were better at orchestrating the various option fakes and getting it to our studly backs and passing to our receivers off play action.

There is more reading and more of a passing element in our offense under Beck. We need a guy who can read the defense, get the ball to our various play makers in a way that leads them into open space so they can catch and run it up the field. Running is a nice addition to that, but needs to come as a secondary skill.

T-Mart's throws often made guys stop or comeback or adjust and therefor not receive on the fly. Tommy's seem to be high a lot. Our receivers have made BIG time plays on those passes, but I would like to see it down and in front of the man so he can catch and run.

When I hear anybody describe a guy as someone that can run well and needs to work on the pass game, I cringe something fierce.

Any ways.... I guess this is why I shouldn't get caught up in the recruiting game too much. I am too easily discouraged by what a few sources say and I get down on guys before they've even had a chance to show what they are all about. And that is just not cool.

• Fire 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Is Darlington a lock to redshirt next season? I would guess that.

Unless we have a lot more in the available bullpen than I realize, I feel the smart play is to take a shot at somebody - whether that's a JUCO or a transfer or an incoming freshman - to gives us another camp body and add to the competition. And also give us an extremely important layer of depth. At this point we can't say with total confidence if either TA or JSV will pan out. Both are really promising, but so are a lot of guys! From a pure numbers perspective, I feel we gotta find another scholarship QB to bring in somehow.