Putting the 9 wins debate to bed

$4,000,000+ is plenty of reasons....we will not bargain shop again.

Well, UCLA told him to name his price. So I'd like to hear another reason other than we can pay him a lot of money because at least the last time he was seriously approached, he turned a lot of money down.

You've been told this before, but more money, better facilities in place to recruit, a better conference for more BCS success and Lincoln is more like his hometown than la is.

Here's something you haven't heard before:

My uncle was an accounting professor at Boise State. He is now a big time booster at BSU. My mother was out for the BSU - Southern Miss game and sat in his press box. The common feeling among the boosters out there is that if he didn't leave to UCLA he was going to be there till he retired. I had a conversation with QMany about this Saturday as my mom was telling the story.

Last I checked, accountants...even accounting professors don't make enough coin to be considered *big time* boosters.

• Fire 4

How many times have coaches - in almost every major sport - said they weren't going to leave somewhere, and then ended up leaving to go somewhere else by choice? The right money, the right situation and the right job can pull just about anything. We've seen it time and time again.

Nebraska doesn't have great recruiting advantages. But, we have one of the most well-funded athletic departments in the country, top-notch facilities and one of the best fan bases in the country. While some of our own fans may call our passion intimidating, the amount of loyalty we show coaches is unparalleled. Look at this situation right now for proof - does anyone think Pelini would be surviving at a place like Alabama, LSU, or USC? Personally, I don't.

Nebraska may not be the best pull from a recruiting standpoint, but if a coach is willing to come here and put in the work, the payoffs are worth it IMHO. And personally, I don't think we'll skimp on a coach if we hire a new one and he has previous head coaching experience, especially previous D1 experience.

How many times have coaches - in almost every major sport - said they weren't going to leave somewhere, and then ended up leaving to go somewhere else by choice? The right money, the right situation and the right job can pull just about anything. We've seen it time and time again.

Nebraska doesn't have great recruiting advantages. But, we have one of the most well-funded athletic departments in the country, top-notch facilities and one of the best fan bases in the country. While some of our own fans may call our passion intimidating, the amount of loyalty we show coaches is unparalleled. Look at this situation right now for proof - does anyone think Pelini would be surviving at a place like Alabama, LSU, or USC? Personally, I don't.

Nebraska may not be the best pull from a recruiting standpoint, but if a coach is willing to come here and put in the work, the payoffs are worth it IMHO. And personally, I don't think we'll skimp on a coach if we hire a new one and he has previous head coaching experience, especially previous D1 experience.

I hope you have some sort of advice from an accounting professor. Otherwise, you're an idiot.

• Fire 3

$4,000,000+ is plenty of reasons....we will not bargain shop again.

Well, UCLA told him to name his price. So I'd like to hear another reason other than we can pay him a lot of money because at least the last time he was seriously approached, he turned a lot of money down.

You've been told this before, but more money, better facilities in place to recruit, a better conference for more BCS success and Lincoln is more like his hometown than la is.

Here's something you haven't heard before:

My uncle was an accounting professor at Boise State. He is now a big time booster at BSU. My mother was out for the BSU - Southern Miss game and sat in his press box. The common feeling among the boosters out there is that if he didn't leave to UCLA he was going to be there till he retired. I had a conversation with QMany about this Saturday as my mom was telling the story.

Last I checked, accountants...even accounting professors don't make enough coin to be considered *big time* boosters.

See the bolded. Notice how I said "was?" He is not an accounting professor anymore.

Any reasons to believe Chris Peterson would have any interest other than we could pay him a lot of money?

I live in Idaho and know plenty of die-hard BSU fans... and they are fairly convinced that their privilege of having Peterson as a coach is coming to an end. Many see him at NU next year. Most here (at least who I talk to) predict Texas or USC (though USC seems less likely) or NU --- the three positions people assume will open that are at name schools. The consensus emerging here is that Peterson would certainly entertain the notion of NU. Of course, no one here really knows from insider info (at least that I talk to) --- but BSU fans are beginning (for the first time) to resign themselves to the reality that their coach is too good to retain and that he will exit after this season.

Any reasons to believe Chris Peterson would have any interest other than we could pay him a lot of money?

I live in Idaho and know plenty of die-hard BSU fans... and they are fairly convinced that their privilege of having Peterson as a coach is coming to an end. Many see him at NU next year. Most here (at least who I talk to) predict Texas or USC (though USC seems less likely) or NU --- the three positions people assume will open that are at name schools. The consensus emerging here is that Peterson would certainly entertain the notion of NU. Of course, no one here really knows from insider info (at least that I talk to) --- but BSU fans are beginning (for the first time) to resign themselves to the reality that their coach is too good to retain and that he will exit after this season.

this makes more sense than him retiring there. it's going to go one way or the other though. he had an amazing run at Boise, and I'm not sure he'll ever get to repeat that again. if he's going to move, it's going to be soon because his stock is not going to go up any higher. 9-10 wins at Boise are going to become the norm again. great seasons, but nothing like what it takes to get you the Texas job. he has that opportunity now, won't in 3-4 years. he'll either take it soon, or retire there. i'd bet he takes it, whether it's nebraska or someone else...but we have as good of a chance as any, at least our field is green, that's gotta be worth something.

And every other team in the nation has the same opportunities and has failed to do so.

Here's something Bo has had the same opportunity as any other team to do in each of his first five seasons: Make a BCS bowl. It's a list that potentially grows this year, as Nebraska won't be making one. The current tally sits at 30.

Alabama (4)

Oregon (4)

Stanford (3)

Wisconsin (3)

Florida (3)

Virginia Tech (3)

Ohio State (3)

Oklahoma (2)

Texas (2)

TCU (2)

Cincinnati (2)

Notre Dame

LSU

Michigan

USC

Florida State

Penn State

Boise State

Clemson

Arkansas

Auburn

West Virginia

Oklahoma State

Louisville

Kansas State

Utah

Northern Illinois

UConn

Iowa

Georgia Tech

I can live with not making a BCS bowl in six, even seven years, if we're regularly coming within striking distance for it. But I can also completely understand anyone who says "At Nebraska, that's not a good enough bottom line."

misleading information, too many variables you haven't taking in consideration.

variables like what? Its FACTS, we cant make a BCS bowl, hell we cant even beat a team thats ranked higher than us

Some reflections on 9/10 win seasons and whether or not this is a standard we will be happy with. First off I think it is almost written in stone that we all expect a bowl game every year. Taking this into account we will be playing 13/14 games a year. If we extend this over a 10 year period and have a goal of playing in at least 5 conference championship games then 9 win seasons give us a win percentage of a bit less than 67%, 10 win seasons mean we win 74% of our games. These are not what I think of as standards that we should have as a goal for Nebraska Football. 10 wins should be the minimum with 11/12 as the goal. TO left us with great expectations and our bar should be set high. T_O_B

I think all the lines in the sand are over starting next year, no more BCS games to use as a barometer.

Going forward what we need to figure out is what is our standard? For me the standard is fighting to consistently be in the top 10-15 at the worst, every now and then a "bad" year is okay, but the bad year should be fighting to stay in the top 25.

The bottom line for me is going forward can this staff ever get us into the top 4, if not we need to find who can.

Look, I am not advocating Peterson. He is not even on my short list. What my angle was is that we are going to open the wallet for our next hire when Bo is gone. Which Vegas feels is this season. EZ i get your view on all of this you think Bo and staff rock at recruiting and are these awesome people that love Nebraska and it is their dream jobs etc. We are obviously both on completely opposing sides on this and practically all things pertaining to the direction of the program.

Just curious, you've probably stated elsewhere, but who is on your short list?

Look, I am not advocating Peterson. He is not even on my short list. What my angle was is that we are going to open the wallet for our next hire when Bo is gone. Which Vegas feels is this season. EZ i get your view on all of this you think Bo and staff rock at recruiting and are these awesome people that love Nebraska and it is their dream jobs etc. We are obviously both on completely opposing sides on this and practically all things pertaining to the direction of the program.

1. James Franklin

2. Jim Tressel

3. Mark Hudspeth

4. Tim Deruyter

5. Bobby Wilder

6. Bobby Petrino

7. Scott Frost

8. Joe Moglia

1. James Franklin

2. Jim Tressel

3. Mark Hudspeth

4. Tim Deruyter

5. Bobby Wilder

6. Bobby Petrino

7. Scott Frost

8. Joe Moglia

Every single one of these guys are better than what we have.

:sarcasm