What will equal success?

eoltmer

We pretend like we don't want undefeated seasons all the time but lets face it, we do. That is why losses create so much crying.

That is what makes us fans. We hardly set realistic expectaions and coaches know that, its why they try to downplay wins and accomplishments. It is why Hoke is going to be fired (and might have been fired this year if they would have lost to NW the other day), because he came in saying seasons are a failure if you don't win the big ten.

All of us fans want them to win each game...then if that fails we want them to "win out"

This is true. Anyone that says they don't deep down dream "undefeated season" each year is lying to themselves.

We pretend like we don't want undefeated seasons all the time but lets face it, we do. That is why losses create so much crying.

That is what makes us fans. We hardly set realistic expectaions and coaches know that, its why they try to downplay wins and accomplishments. It is why Hoke is going to be fired (and might have been fired this year if they would have lost to NW the other day), because he came in saying seasons are a failure if you don't win the big ten.

All of us fans want them to win each game...then if that fails we want them to "win out"

This is true. Anyone that says they don't deep down dream "undefeated season" each year is lying to themselves.

Totally! It doesn't mean that you are not happy with a 12-1 season but lets face it, when you have that one loss, that weekend you freak out and lose perspective. It is kind of what makes it fun!

I think Nebraska's expectations can be analyzed for a 10 year period. In a decade, Nebraska should win at least 9 games every season. They should win 11 or 12 games four or five times. They should win at least two conference titles. They should play in at least two or three BCS games, win at least one of them and compete for a national title.

Again, that's over a 10 year period. And regardless of how the college football landscaped has evolved, I still don't think that's unreasonable expectations for our program. What we've done the last six years is close to what we should be doing, but in the three title game appearances we've made, we should have at least one won to be on pace.

Double-digit win seasons, bowl wins, conference titles, top 10 rankings, national titles,

This, and a bit more. If you lose, at least make a game of it, blowouts are rare. Be competitive in every game you play.

I'd include fundamentals but if your fundamentals aren't sound, then our high expectations listed above will never be met.

As fans we demand excellence and we aren't seeing excellence, and I don't think many would argue otherwise.

I think Nebraska's expectations can be analyzed for a 10 year period. In a decade, Nebraska should win at least 9 games every season. They should win 11 or 12 games four or five times. They should win at least two conference titles. They should play in at least two or three BCS games, win at least one of them and compete for a national title.

Again, that's over a 10 year period. And regardless of how the college football landscaped has evolved, I still don't think that's unreasonable expectations for our program. What we've done the last six years is close to what we should be doing, but in the three title game appearances we've made, we should have at least one won to be on pace.

I'm old enough to recall when Nebraska was a perennial top 10 team. I want that again. I want other teams to fear us, I want other teams to still feel the effects of playing us next week. 18 top 10 finishes in 25 years....yeah....I'd settle for that again. :)

Guilty. heh

If NUpolo8 is Head Coach.

In all seriousness. Other than the obvious Championships and rankings criteria

1. Bring back physicality and nasty demeanor on both sides of the ball

2. Randy Stella/DeJuan Groce type players on Special Teams

3. Consistent play, turnovers to a minimum. Basically knowing we'll put out a good product even in our "bad" games

4. Home Field Advantage, meaning, LOUD! I hate west stadium. Move the Students closer...etc...

5. Be that team that the opposing players realize the next day "holy crap, I can't believe I'm still alive" after playing NU.

It's not all about national titles, but about the threat of winning national titles. That at least kept it interesting. We put up with going 20+ years without one, because we knew we were capable of doing it or coming very close most years.

I'd gladly put up with a 10 year period like 1978-1987 again, even though we won zero national titles. Why? Because we were in it every year. Even though Oklahoma ruined a few of those, at least we were in a position where an Oklahoma could ruin it. We had a title stolen from us in '82, and we missed it in '83 by fractions of an inch.... but the window was open.

We had a nice run of Sugar Bowls and Fiesta Bowls alongside the Orange Bowls.

Is being in the conversation once in awhile too much to ask for?

Agree.

Can you name me a team that has done this over a 10 year period in the last 25 years? Any team?

Can you name me a team that has done this over a 10 year period in the last 25 years? Any team?

Alabama did. In 5 years.

Oregon did. In the same time frame...

Ohio State did so from 2002 - 2012 except for 2 years. 8-4 one year and that nasty 6-7 year was bad as well. Otherwise they never won less than 10 games.

Alabama did. In 5 years.

Ohio State did so from 2002 - 2012 except for 2 years. 8-4 one year and that nasty 6-7 year was bad as well. Otherwise they never won less than 10 games.

Tack on LSU, USC, Nebraska...

Perhaps the 11-12 wins four or five times in a decade was a little over the top, but winning at least two conference title, one BCS game and competing for a national title in a 10 year time frame is completely, 100% reasonable.

Alabama did. In 5 years.

Perhaps the 11-12 wins four or five times in a decade was a little over the top, but winning at least two conference title, one BCS game and competing for a national title in a 10 year time frame is completely, 100% reasonable.

Here is the thing though. Change that BCS game requirement to "playoff appearances"

Alabama did. In 5 years.

Here is the thing though. Change that BCS game requirement to "playoff appearances"

True, I forgot about that. I'd love to see Nebraska win a title at least once every ten years, but obviously there are a lot of teams competing for that privilege and who knows what direction the program will go. But, Nebraska should at the LEAST be making an appearance in the playoffs once or twice a decade.

Alabama did. In 5 years.

No, that wasn't what he said. He said over a ten year timeframe.

Alabama:

2003 - 4-9 - unranked

2004 - 6-6 - unranked

2005 - 0-2 (10 wins vacated)

2006 - 0-7 (6 wins vacated) - unranked

2007 - 2-6 (5 wins vacated) - unranked

2008 - 12-2

2009 - 14-0

2010 - 10-3

2011 - 12-1

2012 - 13-1

Oregon:

2003 - 8-5 - unranked

2004 - 5-6 - unranked

2005 - 10-2

2006 - 7-6 unranked

2007 - 9-4 - ranked #24

2008 - 10-3

2009 - 10-3

2010 - 12-1

2011 - 12-2

2012 - 12-1

Ohio State is the closest, but even then, he said he didn't think that was unreasonable expectations, even though one team out of 119 has done it in the last 3 decades since we did it?

Alabama did. In 5 years.

No, that wasn't what he said. He said over a ten year timeframe.

Alabama:

2003 - 4-9 - unranked

2004 - 6-6 - unranked

2005 - 0-2 (10 wins vacated)

2006 - 0-7 (6 wins vacated) - unranked

2007 - 2-6 (5 wins vacated) - unranked

2008 - 12-2

2009 - 14-0

2010 - 10-3

2011 - 12-1

2012 - 13-1

Oregon:

2003 - 8-5 - unranked

2004 - 5-6 - unranked

2005 - 10-2

2006 - 7-6 unranked

2007 - 9-4 - ranked #24

2008 - 10-3

2009 - 10-3

2010 - 12-1

2011 - 12-2

2012 - 12-1

Ohio State is the closest, but even then, he said he didn't think that was unreasonable expectations, even though one team out of 119 has done it in the last 3 decades since we did it?

Oklahoma is probably the closest:

2003: 12-2 (BCS Bowl, At-Large) #3

2004: 12-1 (Conference Championship, BCS Bowl) #3

2005: 8-4 #22

2006: 11-3 (Conference Championship, BCS Bowl) #11

2007: 11-3 (Conference Championship, BCS Bowl) #8

2008: 12-2 (Conference Championship, BCS National Championship Game) #5

2009: 8-5 NR

2010: 12-2 (Conference Championship, BCS Bowl) #6

2011: 10-3 #15

2012: 10-3 (Conference Co-Champion) #15

2013: 8-2 (So far) #22