Nebraska's Super Secret Coaching Search

Ric Flair

Am I the only one who really doesn't want Tressel? I'd rather run a clean program that wins 9 games a year and occasionally pops up than run a dirty program that wins.

I'd love to have Tressel. Just win, baby.

Also, lets be honest - we have no clue how dirty ANY program is.

there's been documented proof on how he run's a program.

Am I the only one who really doesn't want Tressel? I'd rather run a clean program that wins 9 games a year and occasionally pops up than run a dirty program that wins.

I'd love to have Tressel. Just win, baby.

Also, lets be honest - we have no clue how dirty ANY program is.

there's been documented proof on how he run's a program.

He protects his kids...no different than any other coach. What was going on there was so mild in comparison to dozens of other schools I just don't care. Search Tyrone Williams for a classic case of Osborne protecting his players. Throw in Peter's assualt, or Phillips. Whatever happened to Riley Washington, the guy charged with attempted murder? ...Osborne hired him a couple years ago and he's a director of the Nebraska football academy now. No idea what came of the case, obviously must have been dropped but the way it was presented at the time things were pretty clear cut w/ witnesses identifying him...but Osborne was involved every step of the way, interviewing witnesses like always.

Bottom line, who knows what would have come to light during the 90's if we'd had the media scrutiny these guys deal with today. Think if a coach today made a comment like this in regards to a player beating a female: "I wouldn't call it a beating, But he certainly did inflict some damage to a young lady" - TO

Wouldn't go over well, it'd likely make a few discounted tattoos seem pretty minor.

• Fire 1

people really need to get over tressel's transgression. seriously. he did not "cheat" in anyway to gain an unfair advantage. we all know the ncaa is a joke, yet we love to hold their decisions over the heads of coaches and programs we disfavor. it is rather ridiculous that some committee of nameless freaks can tell a private individual how he has to treat his personal property. yes, the greatest sin is to lie to the ncaa, but we can use some judgment and discernment when qualifying the transgression.

for crap's sake, miami received hardly any (any?) sanctions for actually cheating to gain a competitive advantage. unc received no sanctions for fabricating classes so student athletes could play the game. and here we are at good ole u.n. of l suffering sanctions for giving too many school books.

but no, by all means tressel is a cheater and should be banished from everything.

• Fire 7

Those that live in old glass houses should not throw stones. We have our skeletons, and honestly are worse than what Coach Tressel did. But he got caught, trying to protect his kids and his family. No one is perfect, protecting their kids is their job.

I like the idea of him coming to Nebraska if Bo has to go. He knows what he is doing, would bring qualified assistants that could run the program during his show cause stint.

I am sure he still has ties to recruiting in Ohio and Michigan. That Is needed.

people really need to get over tressel's transgression. seriously. he did not "cheat" in anyway to gain an unfair advantage. we all know the ncaa is a joke, yet we love to hold their decisions over the heads of coaches and programs we disfavor. it is rather ridiculous that some committee of nameless freaks can tell a private individual how he has to treat his personal property. yes, the greatest sin is to lie to the ncaa, but we can use some judgment and discernment when qualifying the transgression.

for crap's sake, miami received hardly any (any?) sanctions for actually cheating to gain a competitive advantage. unc received no sanctions for fabricating classes so student athletes could play the game. and here we are at good ole u.n. of l suffering sanctions for giving too many school books.

but no, by all means tressel is a cheater and should be banished from everything.

I have a few thoughts in response to this...

First, why bring Miami and UNC into it? They are completely irrelevant - because they didn't get punished the way they should have in no way exonerates Jim Tressel for being punished the way he should have. I can't speak for others, but personally, the fact the NCAA punished him isn't what I hold over his head - the fact that he cheated and lied through it all is what I hold over his head, even if he wouldn't have been punished. I don't want anyone associated with the Miami or UNC scandals to be involved here either.

Second, I know you didn't say this in your post, but the prevailing "pro-Tressel" sentiment is "he lied to protect his players", which I disagree with. He lied to protect himself, and it was in his own best interest to keep his players eligible. That is a huge dinstinction that immediately makes this entirely different than, say, the Lawrence Phillips situation.

Third, why are people acting like tattoo gate is his only black eye?

Youngstown State self-inflicted a lack of institutional control penalty against themselves because of what was decided to be Tressel's fault and doing, purposefully distancing himself from the initial investigation into impermissable benefits and also with testimony that he was the one that called Mickey Monus (the booster that gave the kid the massive benefits) asking him to set up a job for his quarterback.

Probably the biggest smoking gun of all - what about Maurice Clarett? Of course, there's no saying definitively what is or isn't true, but Clarret testifies (as do other anonymous sources that agree with elements of his story) towards an entire system of benefits, phantom jobs, guaranteed class grades, vehicles, etc.

THEN you throw in tattoo gate, and Tressel has dirty hands everywhere he's been and not just isolated incidents.

• Fire 2

Good post. Tressel shouldn't be judged negatively because he lied to the NCAA in particular, but it's fair to consider the fact that he lied at all. You can argue he did so to protect his athletes, that he was under job pressures, and that a lot of people in his position would have done the same, but telling a falsehood reflects poorly on your character. To what degree depends on the circumstances and who you're asking. Of course, whether NU needs a coach perceived as "clean" (or how "clean" our iconic coaches actually were) is an entirely different matter.

well said landlord. i will respond into the only part of your post that addressed something from my post. i brought up miami and unc as examples of the ncaa being ridiculous. which was really my whole point. "tattoo-gate" is not a big deal, but just another example of the ncaa not knowing what to do or acting with any integrity or consistency.

I seem to remember a missing gun, that was kept in a certain famous head coaches safe. Days with out being turned over. I wonder how that would play out today?

These guys become the second father, step forward if you have never told a lie to protect or promote your kid.

Cheating is another deal. We do not know the whole story is my guess. I read somewhere there was concern from Coach Tresel, regarding his families and his players safety from this individual.

As to tattoo gate.

Do you really believe that every player on the Nebraska football team pays for their ongoing tattoo displays? these things are not cheap, but we see it growing every year. My guess is that there are a few in the Lincoln area that donate tats to players for advertising. Guess what, that is illegal under NCAA rules. My guess is that some sort of tattoo gate happens at just about every major program.

• Fire 1