Nebraska's Super Secret Coaching Search

Ric Flair

Gruden could win anywhere, mans a festering ball of knowledge. Turned down USC so probably wont come here though.

Like I said, all the money he wants.

I think he would do it for pennies if he had it worked into his contract we play highlights from the Bucs v Raiders Super Bowl pre game every week.

Landlord I think the issue is the NCAA is a joke with its policies. The comparison of Miami wasn't to say they got out of it so OSU should too but rather that we probably don't see half the crap that goes on under the NCAA's watchful nose. Tressel got caught in a mistake. Bo got caught in a mistake earlier this season. Which one was worse? Insulting the entire fan base and making a fool out of your Employer on a National scale or covering up some special benefits received by players (which happens probably everywhere) and made your school look like cheaters? To me it's a wash. Only difference is the NCAA considers this form of "cheating" to be wrong. TO's teams did it back in the day. Guess we should ship back our trophies.

While I have some questions in regards to Tressel's character, it's based of spec. and the stories of some things he supposedly did that were in that SI story about him. The real concern for Tressel to me is his age. How many legit years can we actually get out of him? And would he be able to recruit at the fullest necessity with a name that has been dragged through the dirt? What would be said about our program for going to get him? I understand that we could put some coordinators under him as coaches in waiting, but still the more I look at it, I just dont see Tressel as anything close to feasible.

I think Saben is older Account.

Before the SI/NCAA deal, he was considered one of the most honest coaches in the country. Bad pub can do things that is not always correct. I do not the whole story, I doubt few do.

I would want to see a coach in waiting under him, and most likely I would want Scott Frost to be that guy. I see him and Tressel, with their MNC rings being a gawd send on the recruiting trail. I see Coach Tressel being very thankful for the opportunity if given. Scott then would have been trained by Walsh, Osborne, Kelly and Tressel. If he did not know the job in four or five years, he never would.

Like I said earlier, age is a number, to sum it limits, to sum it challenges.

I think Saben is older Account.

Before the SI/NCAA deal, he was considered one of the most honest coaches in the country. Bad pub can do things that is not always correct. I do not the whole story, I doubt few do.

I would want to see a coach in waiting under him, and most likely I would want Scott Frost to be that guy. I see him and Tressel, with their MNC rings being a gawd send on the recruiting trail. I see Coach Tressel being very thankful for the opportunity if given. Scott then would have been trained by Walsh, Osborne, Kelly and Tressel. If he did not know the job in four or five years, he never would.

Like I said earlier, age is a number, to sum it limits, to sum it challenges.

True on Saban, but he's established himself. I'm referring to essentially starting over at a new program. Not just starting over for yourself, but starting over for the program as well. Saban is in his 7th year at Bama already.

On the deal with Tressel and how he was viewed before the scandle, your right, and I agree. But that's what I mean. What's his perception now? I just fear for what that would mean for Nebraska on the national level.

I could go along with Frost as OC and coach in waiting. Even though I have my reservations about Scott, and know for a fact that his arrogance has turned a lot of people off, it's a role that I believe he could embrace and grow into. And learning from a very experienced and accomplished coach like Tressel could very good. It's also a case that would unite nearly 100% of the fanbase for there are many already infatuated with Frost coming back in a coaching position. I'm not one of them yet. Not sure what the big fuss is about him, YET. But I also believe all this is asking too much. Asking for too many stars to align here.

As far as age goes, I agree with you again. But again, at that age, it's only fair to say we really have no idea how long he would last. That's an honest assessment. I would just prefer to get someone young who we're sure we can get a good 10+ years out of. It's harder on this program to change coaches than most. We dont have the in-state HS talent to rely on. Every time we make a change, the main issue is we have to spend a couple years building and rebuilding recruiting pipelines and connections with the new staff. That's why the thought of Bo being ousted scares me. We seem rather close to getting over the hump. I'd just rather he bit the bullet, made the changes he needs to make, and get it done himself.

Scary time IMO.

As you know, I am not a Bo fan, but I give credit where it is due. I have seen things from him that I did not expect, due to his previous history. I could live with it, if he made changes, IE OC and DC that have proven success at other programs. I am not sure I would even require a BCS level hire. But someone that knows what they are doing and that would allowed to run that side of the ball. But Bo is so stubborn, I just do not see him giving up any of the control, firing his friends. He seems loyal enough to me to take the bullet and let it all go before he did it. Loyalty is a good thing, but not always works out the way you want. Either way they are fired.

I really do not think any of us comprehend just how much there is to being a head coach. Some say a CEO of major company is on line. I say bullsh#t. He has a hundred kids, families that he has to take care of some way every single day. It is just not setting in a meeting about finance or progress. It is everything under the sun. I really do not think there is a tougher job to be a first timer in. The spectrum is so large, the demands never end. That side of the house, no one could ask for more. I thought he would fail on this side, never on the football side. I thought with Suh and the kid from LSU batting for him, he would really be good at recruiting right off the bat. That may have turned now, I know a lot of people say it has. We see improved play, but would that improved play show up against a Oregon, Stanford, Bama or Baylor. I do not know.

As far as Frost, he has some defensive background, but the main reason I would like to see him here, is to calm the natives. It would help the transformation I think. Even those now saying no to head coach (I TOTALLY AGREE) could possibly live with a coach in waiting scenario, and that would depend on who ever the head coach was being successful.

I liken some of us an abused woman. Afraid to move on because the next one could be worse. If it is time to do it according to the AD and Pearlman, then do it and do not look back. Successful head coaches are not going to look just at the wins and losses Bo has had, they will be looking at who those wins and losses are against, and most if they are worth a damb are not going to be to afraid of bettering the record or at least living up to it.

But I must admit, I have said these things since day one, but I am really tired of what is going on on this board.