Fan/player treatment at PSU

C N Red

Isolated incident of an idiot fan.

Kinda like the Husker and Sooners fans who used to throw oranges on the field during the annual game.

Hey knapp. I was watching the '91 OU game earlier for kicks. Funny how you bring that up. At one point in that game, Cale Gundy got thumped with an orange, and Osborne had to come out and chew ass through the ref's mic'. That was pretty neat.

A little off topic, but still relative to those who were at the game... Official listed attendance was over 98,000, but it looked to me like there were a lot of empty seats, especially in the upper deck. Hard to see on TV, but even the commentators made mention of O'Brien taking a timeout before the game winning kick in OT to give student body enough time to run from the other end of the stadium so they could stand behind the goal posts and create a distraction.

I don't know what capacity is at Beaver Stadium, but it would seem nearly impossible for a large group to quickly assemble in an entirely different part of the stadium, even if it was only half full. I realize the game had no real huge national implications, and it was cold, but did they even show up to start with?

A couple of things played into it not being sold out. I guess the students are on break, the cold and PSU made the dumb move this year for the Neb and Mich games if you wanted tics you had to also buy Kent St tics like a package deal and that turned a lot of people away. Couple that w/ a new tic pricing system they started a few years ago (higher costs) and turnouts have been on the decline, add in the scandal and there you go.

• Fire 1

A little off topic, but still relative to those who were at the game... Official listed attendance was over 98,000, but it looked to me like there were a lot of empty seats, especially in the upper deck. Hard to see on TV, but even the commentators made mention of O'Brien taking a timeout before the game winning kick in OT to give student body enough time to run from the other end of the stadium so they could stand behind the goal posts and create a distraction.

I don't know what capacity is at Beaver Stadium, but it would seem nearly impossible for a large group to quickly assemble in an entirely different part of the stadium, even if it was only half full. I realize the game had no real huge national implications, and it was cold, but did they even show up to start with?

i think capacity is up over 110K. Like 112k or something.

I believe I was at that game where Osborne had to take to the mic to calm the fans down.

Also earlier in that game, OU's qb complains to the official about the crowd noise, and it was shown how there was actually protocol and a set of rules against crowd noise back then.

Nebraska fans have gotten at least one penalty for "excessive crowd noise" in a game. That may be the one I'm thinking of.

@NealDunker - I don't know the validity of O'Brien's time out taken to give time for the students to get behind the goalposts, but as they showed the crowd shot when Smith was about to kick there were hundreds of people streaming over there, I presume to distract him.

112k sounds like too much. The Big House just reaffirmed its capacity record as largest with 110k last year I think.

According to Lindys preseason mag PSU is just shy of 107k.

112k sounds like too much. The Big House just reaffirmed its capacity record as largest with 110k last year I think.

According to Lindys preseason mag PSU is just shy of 107k.

And Memorial is something like 86k capacity now, yet there are over 91k+ in attendance. So 112k is prolly full. 107k if "official" capacity.