This needs to be Pelini's last game as our coach

SUPERBUNNY

I'm the guy that started this thread and did it out of my love for Big Red football and the university as a whole. Many have ripped me for it as I expected. We are all frustrated with the way things are going. We can agree on that. Please don't question my love for the program. For me, this isn't about whether we won the game today, last week, or any others. It's about the direction of the program and I just don't believe Pelini represents either the program or the university in a satisfactory manner. I've felt that way for a while. That incident on the sideline was just the final straw. I love the Big Red football for its tradition of being a program run the right way, the class with which everything is done, the way the fans conduct themselves, and the fact that it has earned a reputation as a great place for college football. Bo Pelini has only tarnished the image that the program and the school have spent decades building. That should be very troublesome to all of us. I admire his fire and passion but time and time again he has crossed the line into poor sportsmanship. There are many documented cases of it but today was the last straw for me. It's more than wins and losses for me. It's about being a program that I can be proud of. I will always pull hard for the players and the school. I can't be excited about Pelini as the coach anymore.

"Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory."
  • Fire 1

I think it would be bad form to fire a coach before we know if we are going to a bowl game.

Fire Bo:

1. Inconsistent defense over the years with some inexplicable blowouts against good and bad team. Apparent cause is usually schemes and prepartion IMO.

2. Turnovers high every year with no apparent improvement coming.

3. Sometimes poor special teams play this year particulary for punts. Some issues in previous years.

4. Bo's temper and loose mouth at times.

5. Loss of Husker tradition for excellence and very disappointing conference championship runs. Loss of the Blackshirts reputation.

6. Six years of mediocre performances.

7. Husker offensive line play has not improved to our standards and needs.

8. The game announcers remarked about his job being on line several times and also about his behavior. Lou Holtz's comments about the state of the program were not good at all. Perlman and Eichorst did not have favorable or supporting statements for Bo when given the chance.

Keep Bo:

1. Winning seasons every year.

2. Stadium is still filled every game and the fans still travel.

3. Academic excellence still good.

4. Keeps the team motivated to play despite some heartbreaking and embarrassing losses.

5. Does not tolerate bad or criminal behavior from the players or coaches.

6. The coach and assistants contract buyout would be costly.

7. Firing would send a signal to perspective coaches that you must win championships or get fired- temperamental fan base and revolving coaches door.

In the end, the new AD must consider if Bo would produce improvement next year or just more of the same from the past 6 years. Will a change be worth the cost in program funds? is there someone better who would take a chance after two coaches were fired after having all winning seasons?

My guess because of the money situation, Bo gets one more year to prove himself.

Maybe, I could see one more year. But I can't see this entire staff escaping the offseason unscathed at this point.

I'm taking it upon myself to write the requirements for a new coach as I understand them from the "fans" I hear. You must win MORE than 9 games/year, you must win the conference title about 8 of every 10 years (You'll be in hot water the 2 years that you don't), must go to a BCS bowl game every year, win a National Championship at least twice a decade, have the sideline demeanor of an alter boy even when getting screwed by the Zebras, never swear (swearing and name calling are reserved for "fans"), you aren't allowed to lose even when injuries have depleted your offense we don't care that the 3rd team isn't good enough, if you do lose you can not lose by more than about 7 points. So, if you can do all of that get your name in the hat if the job opens up. :)

damn Bo, you sure got on here quick after your presser.

Hey, we have a lot of areas to improve but RB has been consistently good. Helu, Burkhead, Abdullah...all these guys improved as backs for us and have done a hell of a job. Abdullah wasn't always the starter. I wish we'd have some of the success in other units as we have had with RB's.

Shouldn't Beck get the credit for Helu, and some (most) of the credit for Burkhead, if that's how you're going to play it? Why there is such a lack of depth with such perceived talent and so many fumbles, is what I want to know.

And why is it a guarantee our punt returner will be awful, no matter who we put back there?

I'm the guy that started this thread and did it out of my love for Big Red football and the university as a whole. Many have ripped me for it as I expected. We are all frustrated with the way things are going. We can agree on that. Please don't question my love for the program. For me, this isn't about whether we won the game today, last week, or any others. It's about the direction of the program and I just don't believe Pelini represents either the program or the university in a satisfactory manner. I've felt that way for a while. That incident on the sideline was just the final straw. I love the Big Red football for its tradition of being a program run the right way, the class with which everything is done, the way the fans conduct themselves, and the fact that it has earned a reputation as a great place for college football. Bo Pelini has only tarnished the image that the program and the school have spent decades building. That should be very troublesome to all of us. I admire his fire and passion but time and time again he has crossed the line into poor sportsmanship. There are many documented cases of it but today was the last straw for me. It's more than wins and losses for me. It's about being a program that I can be proud of. I will always pull hard for the players and the school. I can't be excited about Pelini as the coach anymore.

"Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory."

agree, Bo sh#t in his Cheerios once too often.

Bo made a complete fool of himself today, repeatedly.

I had been a solid supporter, and really believed he should have been given 1-3 more years.

He now has made himself, the team, the school, look like a joke in a crude manner that eclipses his past transgressions.

I have done a 180 and think the sooner the door hits him in the ass, the better. I wonder how many others he lost today. And it had nothing to do with Iowa winning. It had everything to do with our team wildly underperforming, even with the injuries. For me, it was all about Bo and his immature, embarrassing behaviour.

• Fire 3

Hey, we have a lot of areas to improve but RB has been consistently good. Helu, Burkhead, Abdullah...all these guys improved as backs for us and have done a hell of a job. Abdullah wasn't always the starter. I wish we'd have some of the success in other units as we have had with RB's.

Shouldn't Beck get the credit for Helu, and some (most) of the credit for Burkhead, if that's how you're going to play it? Why there is such a lack of depth with such perceived talent and so many fumbles, is what I want to know.

And why is it a guarantee our punt returner will be awful, no matter who we put back there?

Roy Helu was a Callahan recruit, if I'm not mistaken.

I think it would be bad form to fire a coach before we know if we are going to a bowl game.

Fire Bo:

1. Inconsistent defense over the years with some inexplicable blowouts against good and bad team. Apparent cause is usually schemes and prepartion IMO.

2. Turnovers high every year with no apparent improvement coming.

3. Sometimes poor special teams play this year particulary for punts. Some issues in previous years.

4. Bo's temper and loose mouth at times.

5. Loss of Husker tradition for excellence and very disappointing conference championship runs. Loss of the Blackshirts reputation.

6. Six years of mediocre performances.

7. Husker offensive line play has not improved to our standards and needs.

8. The game announcers remarked about his job being on line several times and also about his behavior. Lou Holtz's comments about the state of the program were not good at all. Perlman and Eichorst did not have favorable or supporting statements for Bo when given the chance.

Keep Bo:

1. Winning seasons every year.

2. Stadium is still filled every game and the fans still travel.

3. Academic excellence still good.

4. Keeps the team motivated to play despite some heartbreaking and embarrassing losses.

5. Does not tolerate bad or criminal behavior from the players or coaches.

6. The coach and assistants contract buyout would be costly.

7. Firing would send a signal to perspective coaches that you must win championships or get fired- temperamental fan base and revolving coaches door.

In the end, the new AD must consider if Bo would produce improvement next year or just more of the same from the past 6 years. Will a change be worth the cost in program funds? is there someone better who would take a chance after two coaches were fired after having all winning seasons?

My guess because of the money situation, Bo gets one more year to prove himself.

Maybe, I could see one more year. But I can't see this entire staff escaping the offseason unscathed at this point.

I agree with the staff changes. I don't think conditioning and basic fundamentals coaching will eliminate turnovers and injuries but I believe they will minimize the problems. If the posts about Bo's presser comments are true, he may be gone for sure. i don't think Perlmand, Athletic Dept and the fan base (particularly the moneyed fan base) want to be represented to the nation or conference with a temperamental head coach that lacks maturity and common sense. He could have ended his tenure at Nebraska with his mouth.

Roy Helu was a Callahan recruit, if I'm not mistaken.

You are not mistaken.

He's an ass that had worn out his welcome.

I'm sorry you feel that way. The sad part is, some people actually read this and believe you when you say that. Until you have met the guy in person, please be careful of what you say.

Sidenote: Pelini has young children and his kids and family have had to deal with the fanbase (the self-proclaimed, "Greatest Fans in College Football") this year, through all of this media garbage... Try explaining to a 3rd grader how you could lose your job and the entire state would know about it. And yes Bo can be an aggressive, toe-the-line type of person but it's that mentality that turns in championship teams and helps form boys to men.

- And please, do not compare this to Osborne. Although we respected Osborne over time, his lack of aggression/vocally expressing his angry or disagreement frustrated the fans like crazy. Osborne was also shielded from that because he had some assistant coaches and players who had no problem laying into a ref vocally.