Time for a new coach

BIG ERN

First would like to thank Bo for his time here. Before he came we were a 5-7 football team who didn't even make a bowl game and were on a downward spiral of suck. He took over and won 9+ games for five straight years. Got to the conference championship 3 out of those 5 years only to come up short (one real short). Got caught up in some injuries this season, but still played a little below average to my sense. 38 teams had 9+ wins last year, and after today that number will be about the same again.

The problem is he still hasn't changed as a HEAD football coach. There is nothing about him on the side lines that shows he has changed regardless of what anyone says. I don't mind some passion, but every time something goes wrong he goes bizerk on one of his rants - whether that's to one of the players, coaches, fans, or refs. Just one time get some self control. Pap and the fellow coaches on the other end of that head set have taken more ass chewings than any other coaches in football, I guarantee you that. Don't come at me with the too soft theory because I am not a hoo-rah pat Johnny on the sidelines so he feels better kind of person either, but there has to be a line drawn in the sand after a while.

The fumbles. Oh my the fumbles. We are 122 out of 123 teams right now in fumbles. I hope that sounds familiar because just last year we were also second to last in the nation. 119th in t/o margin. Penalties we currently sit 90th, which is Pelini's best of six seasons.

I wanted to wait a day to cool off for the third home loss this season to of all teams, Iowa. Maybe he stays and proves me wrong, but I see no reason to believe that logic.

Worth $3 mil/year?

57-24 at Nebraska

3-3 bowl games

0-3 conference championship games

8-14 vs top 25

Since this thread has been started again, I'm going to ask this question again, who are you "realistically" going to get that is going to do better...

I don't have insider knowledge like Eichorst has, but are you telling me there isn't one damn coach that cannot win 9 games?? Hell, 38 teams did that last year. That number could be 40 after today's games.

Well, like I said in another thread, unless you've got TO/Bear Bryant growing in a petri dish in your basement, who are you going to get?

I can think of a few. Does anyone know for sure who will excel HERE? Coaches can be average until they find the right place, and I honestly don't feel Bo fits in here anymore. I've supported the guy, but he doesn't fit. Paul Rhodes is a guy who may just excel here, do we know for sure? Of course not. But we can't fade into mediocrity, just to save ourselves from falling to the bottom. You can't be scared of the unknown for it can be be just like Schrodinger's cat, good or bad. And I have faith that our university can make the right choice.

i think its deeper than coaching. I think it is systemic and reaches to every small nook and cranny corner of the program. I don't think its just Bo or the HC position. I think this program has to go back and consider every single fundamental part of the program. we need to look around the country for best practices in every aspect of our program from S and C, recruiting, all the way to website, game day experience(dump the tunnel walk its tired), marketing etc etc. there is an answer and it doesn't lie with "the way we used to do it". If I was NU, I would be spending money on marketing, studies on what these top tier kids want, etc etc. put absolutely everything up for discussion. look at Oregon for marketing, look to Ohio state for coaching, look to Alabama/Stanford, etc for s and C, etc...once you know how to get the kids you want and more importantly WHICH kids you can get, then you scheme for those types of players....I just think its far bigger than the head coaching positions. of course this isn't a complete list, just an example of what I would be considering...I know easier said than done, but we have to switch the advantage back to Nebraska..its probably a 5-10 year process ...

So 40 other teams have Osborne and Bryant as their coaches? I think you are missing the point here. I am saying what Pelini has done isn't that impressive. I am not asking the next coach to rattle off 2 straight championships here.

Yeah, but you're still not presenting a realistic option to be Bo's replacement. The Petersen/Briles/Fitzgerald/Frost argument has been done to death, and none of them are reasonable choices...

57 wins in six years 9.5 wins per year a honest run program, high graduation rate, no serious off field issues with players, removed coaches who had bad off field issues.

Not sure if we had more first string injuries then any other BCS team but we still won 8 and the only blow out was UCLA. The team never quit unlike it's fans, as a fan base we helped let the news media fuel the fire which in turn, helps recruiting exactly what the sports media wants a failed UNL team.

BO needs to get a handle on turn overs, penalties, punting game and we would be off to the races. He needs one more year in my opinion

57 wins in six years 9.5 wins per year a honest run program, high graduation rate, no serious off field issues with players, removed coaches who had bad off field issues.

Not sure if we had more first string injuries then any other BCS team but we still won 8 and the only blow out was UCLA. The team never quit unlike it's fans, as a fan base we helped let the news media fuel the fire which in turn, helps recruiting exactly what the sports media wants a failed UNL team.

BO needs to get a handle on turn overs, penalties, punting game and we would be off to the races. He needs one more year in my opinion

I agree with what you've said mostly, he won't get another year with what happened yesterday and that's just speculation on my part. It's too bad, I like the guy and really wanted him to succeed, but he just hasn't figured out what exactly a head coach is supposed to do.

The good with Pelini:

1. Players love playing for him.

2. He graduates players at high rates and turns them into men.

3. He keeps the program clean and that's great in today's college football world.

4. He consistently wins 9 games a year and that's pretty cool to know you'll get to that every year.

The bad with Pelini:

1. His temper is out of control sometimes, but the camera is on him constantly because of a rant in the aTm game several years ago, still being punished for that!

2. His teams constantly crap the bed on national television.

3. His teams constantly turn the ball over.

4. He loses one game every year that he shouldn't.

5. His coaching staff isn't experienced enough to get the job done.

6. He's a stubborn control freak that can't be just a head coach, he has to be involved in everything and right now that's not a good thing when you see our offense and special teams on the field.

7. His temper can affect recruiting.

8. His temper and demeanor has affected the national perception of Nebraska football.

• Fire 1

I gotta admit that it has been fun to poke at Nebraska fans since the game, especially with many of the vile reactions. It is easy to be the "Greatest Fans" when you have an impeccable record, but real winners also know how to lose with grace.

We know that Iowa fans are the experts on losing, but this "winning" you speak of? Other than yesterday, I don't think you have the credentials.

In all seriousness, your team played a heck of a game yesterday, and they played above their heads this year coming off a season in which they fielded one of the worst offenses I've ever seen in D1 football. You should be proud of them. But while your fan base is all starry-eyed about an incredible turnaround to an 8 win season and suddenly have renewed faith in a coach whose record now stands at 19-18 since your last bowl win (3 years ago, in December), those numbers just aren't going to cut it at Nebraska or any school serious about football.

Just different expectations, that's all. But even at a school like Iowa where around 7 wins is the norm, 8 wins today doesn't mean quite what it used to.

• Fire 1

So 40 other teams have Osborne and Bryant as their coaches? I think you are missing the point here. I am saying what Pelini has done isn't that impressive. I am not asking the next coach to rattle off 2 straight championships here.

Yeah, but you're still not presenting a realistic option to be Bo's replacement. The Petersen/Briles/Fitzgerald/Frost argument has been done to death, and none of them are reasonable choices...

Why aren't they reasonable? Because you say so?

Have you talked to them or their representative? No? Didn't think so?

I bet Eichorst or our search firm has.

I didn't know we were now a poop bath of a university. We aren't asking to go grab Nick Saban here folks... Petersen, Franklin, Tressel, Fitz, Frost, DeRuyter or whoever are all people who we have a good chance at getting if pursued. Not lock and sealed by any means, but a damn good chance.

Why aren't they reasonable? Because you say so?

Have you talked to them or their representative? No? Didn't think so?

I bet Eichorst or our search firm has.

Do you know for a fact that SE and our so called search firm has reached out? No Didn't think so!