From Shawn Eichorst

I do believe Bo is the right man...I just wish some staff changes could be made. Not sure this will happen...guessing he is on very thin ice/short leash. Might not be fair, but it is what it is. Hope for a great bowl performance and they use these extra practices to continue to build for next year. GBR!

He hired this staff. But he's the right man right?

The problem is that the Bo apologists have a quiver of excuses ready for every season. This year it was "injuries." (Though, as a factual matter, I actually don't think the injuries have been that much above average.) Next year it will (again) be a young offensive line.

The point is you can literally look at any season at any program and come up with excuses (youth, injuries, new scheme, etc.). But short of NCAA sanctions, there is rarely a legitimate excuse for a coach to underachieve. And when you factor in the counter excuses (namely the pathetic schedule), we have simply underachieved.

The real irony is that in the unlikely event Pelini does actually turn the corner and get some success, he's going to jump ship faster than you can say, "Bo don't go!" All the bizarre loyalty from the Husker fans will be rewarded with a middle finger from Pelini as he laughs all the way to the SEC.

• Fire 1

I am ok with giving Bo 1-2 more years. Yes this year didn't go as planned, but we saw a defense get better throughout the year with alot of first year players and a bunch of first year contributors on an offense riddled with injuries. The future looks bright, and I would like to see Bo have his chance with these players.

We hear the same tired sh#t every year. You know what I saw at the game? A lot of empty seats. Not just the student section. It will continue next year. This is the least hopeful I've ever been about the direction of our program. We're a national laughing stock. I'm glad so many are okay with that.

The sellout streak may end next year. People are tired of Bo and the same poor fundamentals year after year.

When an AD remains so tight-lipped through most of a season with a question looming so large, I suspect we had better hang on every word. It is unlikely there will BE many words.

My guess is this is as good as saying, "Pelini WILL be here next year. UNLESS there is off the field behavior from the coach that makes us really question him or some legal problem."

In other words, I think Pelini is the coach next year. If that is the case, I will dutifully line up and support the man, hope for some other coaching changes, and so on. In fact, with the benefit of some time to cool off, I wonder if some new coordinator(s) would be the answer after all. If anyone can 'force' such a change, I bet it's a brand new AD. Gives Pelini an 'out' by saying, "Sorry, I had no choice. It was either you or ALL of us, including all your friends."

If Bo is on the hot seat and may be fired after next year, then it will be difficult to get a great coordinator. A good coordinator would also demand a multi-year contract, which would require a buy-out if Bo is fired.

We officially just became Iowa. Great.

I would go on a rant.......if I cared anymore, but I don't. It would be extremely counter-productive for me to care more than our AD or HC. They aren't changing so I will. #apathy

I think you won the internet with this post. That just summed up my feelings precisely.

• Fire 1

I do believe Bo is the right man...I just wish some staff changes could be made. Not sure this will happen...guessing he is on very thin ice/short leash. Might not be fair, but it is what it is. Hope for a great bowl performance and they use these extra practices to continue to build for next year. GBR!

yeah. and frankly, if you want to keep him, you have to let him run the program as he sees fit. it is crazy to micromanage his staff and expect him to be able to work with the people that were chosen for him. you cannot undermine him and expect success, especially when he cannot succeed with the people who he wants to work with and he wants to work with.

again, why does bo get a pass, but his staff are the sacrificial lambs? and it has always been the coordinators that get the surplus of the blame.

Well if that is the final decision I guess there is nothing we can do but hope he is able to make the necessary changes that have to be made.

But realistically, I don't think that will happen and we will be back here again next year having the same discussions. Delaying the inevitable?

Bo is going to be in trouble if the competition improves. he has benefited from weak schedules the last couple of years.

I'm with sd'sker.

Why do you magically expect things to get better next year? We've been waiting to get over that same hump for years now. Seems we have the same convo about how next year is the year every year... well, congratulations, now we're the f***ing Cubs.

If you're willing to give Bo another year because the defense got better this year, what the hell do we do with the offense? The turnovers? The penalties?

Newsflash: It's not getting fixed if Bo is retained and retains Beck, which he will. #fireBeck

and the real joke with the argument that the defense got better throughout the year is that:

A. the defense was a complete joke last year, the beginning of this year, and parts of the end of the year. so it would be impossible for it not to have gotten better, and truly impossible for it to have gotten worse.

B. the defense was terrible and in such desperate need for improvement because of bo. why does he get credit for fixing something he broke?

I believe I saw a stat that our defense has only looked so good against offenses that are floundering this year. Given, they still answered the call, but if it really was just against bad offenses, how much have we really improved?

And I kind of believe it too. Iowa laid the wood to us yesterday... scored so many points because of stupid mistakes and choice field position we handed them.

On further review, we played a grand total of ONE top 25 scoring offense this year, with UCLA clocking in at 25th.

Using total offense is an even worse metric. We played no top 25 offenses, and only two top 50 offenses with UCLA at 35 and Penn State at 50.

How good is our defense?

We officially just became Iowa. Great.

I would go on a rant.......if I cared anymore, but I don't. It would be extremely counter-productive for me to care more than our AD or HC. They aren't changing so I will. #apathy

yup. this is what bo has done. but hey, the bo supporters are happy we can expect 9 wins (maybe).

• Fire 1

Eichorst is shrewd like a fox.

Pelini clearly is struggling and was basically begging to be fired so he can collect his $7 million. With this, Eichorst is calling Bo's bluff and putting him right back in the fire. You can't stand the heat, Bo? Quit. Because Eichorst ain't gonna bail you out that easily.

Eichorst may well be counting on Bo doing something so insane that he can legitimately be fired for cause. The odds are pretty good.

I see where you're coming from but I don't think this helps the program at all. At this point I just can't see Eichorst sacrificing the program for a stand off with Bo. Now maybe the buyout is too much. Or maybe Eichorst and Bo do have a good relationship and Eichorst truly believes Bo should stay.

I don't know if that's it either. One thing for sure, if he intended on firing him, it's a huge mistake to wait anymore. Since he is waiting, he can't possibly consider it after the bowl game? So I'll go on with the belief that Bo will be the coach next year. I think this program will suffer quite a bit from this decision. I hope the sellout streak is held. I also think recruiting will be a struggle. Might be some tough times ahead.

Eichorst is shrewd like a fox.

Pelini clearly is struggling and was basically begging to be fired so he can collect his $7 million. With this, Eichorst is calling Bo's bluff and putting him right back in the fire. You can't stand the heat, Bo? Quit. Because Eichorst ain't gonna bail you out that easily.

Eichorst may well be counting on Bo doing something so insane that he can legitimately be fired for cause. The odds are pretty good.

It's nice of Bo to put the players through this

yeah. and frankly, if you want to keep him, you have to let him run the program as he sees fit. it is crazy to micromanage his staff and expect him to be able to work with the people that were chosen for him. you cannot undermine him and expect success, especially when he cannot succeed with the people who he wants to work with and he wants to work with.

again, why does bo get a pass, but his staff are the sacrificial lambs? and it has always been the coordinators that get the surplus of the blame.

I believe Beck is an exception because Bo has no offensive experience and therefore that whole side of the ball becomes Beck's baby.

Therefore, any offensive flaws fall right on Beck's doorstep.

But then again, you can play the chicken/egg game, because Bo chose to hire Beck...