In other Big 10 news....

eoltmer

Well, Arkansas sees LSU as their BIG rival. That's their one team. Just like Mich-OSU. So, yes they have a "worse" loss But they also have better wins...and better wins RECENTLY. The loss was WAY early in the season.
If you are looking at Auburn, besides Alabama, who have they beat this year that was a really good football team. I'm guessing that you will bring up Texas A&M, and they are good, but not elite this year. The only other ranked teams that they have beat are Georgia and Ole Miss(was ranked at that time) and those teams aren't that good this year. Auburn has had one really good win, Alabama. I'm not taking anything away from that win, but it's hard to say that they are that much better than Ohio State because, IMO, Auburn hasn't had an impossible schedule this year either.

And if they win this weekend, that's TWO Top 5 teams they've beaten.

Well, Arkansas sees LSU as their BIG rival. That's their one team. Just like Mich-OSU. So, yes they have a "worse" loss But they also have better wins...and better wins RECENTLY. The loss was WAY early in the season.
If you are looking at Auburn, besides Alabama, who have they beat this year that was a really good football team. I'm guessing that you will bring up Texas A&M, and they are good, but not elite this year. The only other ranked teams that they have beat are Georgia and Ole Miss(was ranked at that time) and those teams aren't that good this year. Auburn has had one really good win, Alabama. I'm not taking anything away from that win, but it's hard to say that they are that much better than Ohio State because, IMO, Auburn hasn't had an impossible schedule this year either.

And if they win this weekend, that's TWO Top 5 teams they've beaten.

That's very true, but you are talking about them like they have beaten all of these big opponents already and I was simply pointing out that they have beat Alabama and that is basically it. I'm not taking anything away from Auburn, but I'm getting tired of people saying that a one loss, all powerful, SEC team deserves to be in the NC over Ohio State because they feel that Ohio State hasn't played anyone! It's a pathetic argument and one that people are making just because they can't stand to see all SEC teams on the outside looking in!

I think there's validity to both sides at the end of the season, of teams ranked in the top 25, for arguments sake, lets include CCG:

OSU has beaten: #21 Wisconsin and #10 MSU. Thay have lost to nobody

Auburn has beaten: #24 Texas A&M, #22 Georgia, #5 Missouri and #1 Alabama. They have lost to #15 LSU

Florida State has beaten: #13 Clemson and #20 Duke. They have lost to nobody.

Auburn is worse because of the loss, but better because of their wins.

FSU and OSU are worse because of their wins (similar, although FSU has a marginally worse SOS) and better because they are undefeated.

In the end, although I think Auburn deserves a shot at the BCS, I can understand why they could be left out. If I REALLY wanted to be sure an SEC school was in, I would have been rooting for Bama. It's an imperfect system that a 4 team playoff helps, but an 8 team playoff would. IMHO, be almost perfect.

That being said, BOY do I wish we had that playoff this year!

Definitely agree with this. A four-team playoff would be (assuming favorites win CCGs):

#1 - Florida St vs. #4 - Alabama

#2 - Ohio State vs. #3 - Auburn

Settle the Ohio State/Auburn debate on the field. What a novel concept.

Although you probably wouldn't get too many arguments about the top 4 this year, I still think eight teams is the way to go - with conference champions automatically making it (I usually say if they're in the Top 12 but I'll go Top 14 for now as that includes Northern Illinois, although they could be in the Top 12 after this weekend) and no more than two per conference. This year, you'd have:

#1 - Florida State vs. #8 - Northern Illinois

#4 - Alabama vs. #5 - Oklahoma State

#3 - Auburn vs. #6 - Stanford

#2 - Ohio State vs. #7 - Baylor

I'm glad there is no playoff this season.

Any other time I wouldn't be, but damnit, I'm a Nebraska fan, and the BCS has ensured that I can still in good conscience claim that our run is still the greatest ever with Bama being knocked out.

This is true. Especially since this could have been the second time they didn't even win their division.

• Fire 1

Well, they beat Georgia when Georgia was HEALTHY, and has only lost 1 game in conference. Their other two losses coming to Top 10 teams.

Whether you think they are good or not, they have a top 15 ranking. They're as "good" as Michigan State is. That's why I said "thus far" Now, if/when y'all beat MSU, especially if you throttle them, then that puts OSU on equal footing with FSU, at least as far as the "quality wins" argument goes.

OSU beat Northwestern when Northwestern was healthy and was undefeated.

In 2 years, Clemson has 4 losses, all of which are to top 10 teams, with 2 wins over top 10 teams (LSU 2012 & UGA 2013).

Ohio State hasn't even played a top 10 team.

We're not a great team, but you can't act like we haven't played anyone.

Never said Clemson hasn't played anyone. I'm simply saying you're not a great team, just like you said.

Regarding the top 10 comment. Wisconsin was jobbed out of a chance to be top 10 when they played Arizona St. (I say chance because I can't verify they would have made the FG) Northwestern was on their way to top 10 until they got hit with the injury bug. And now MSU is top 10.

Clemson's reputation was from beating a 8-4 UGA team that lost to Vandy.

Clemson's reputation was from beating a HEALTHY UGA team. They were crushed by injuries this year.

Ohio State would get crushed by FSU or SCar, which are the two teams that beat Clemson. When's the last time Ohio State even played a top 10 team?

mediocre scUM should have beat So. Carolina last year. I think everyone knows we could AT LEAST play with them and I know we'd beat them more times than they'd beat us.

As for FSU, we MIGHT see on January 6th we might not. I'd give FSU the edge but I'd take Urban over Jimbo to win one game any day of the week and everyone in America would as well.

And there is NEVER an excuse for losing to Vandypants with a team filled with depth like UGA. excuses about depth are for small BCS schools like Northwestern. the state of Georgia has too much talent.

Clemson's reputation was from beating a 8-4 UGA team that lost to Vandy.

Clemson's reputation was from beating a HEALTHY UGA team. They were crushed by injuries this year.

Ohio State would get crushed by FSU or SCar, which are the two teams that beat Clemson. When's the last time Ohio State even played a top 10 team?

I'm not so sure. I think Ohio could go toe to toe with any of those teams but FSU.

Ya know, we had to play Purdue when the Spoilmakers were at their peak this year!

Try looking at the teams OOC schedule because if you are in a conference, most of your sos is forced upon you.**

#1. Washington St, Fla Atlantic, and two nobodies.

#2. Florida, Nevada, and two nobodies.

#2. Cal, SDSU, Buffalo, and FL A&M.

None of those looks particularly impressive, but one stands out. Florida would normally be a major game between two powers. So lock them into #1. The other two are closer, but you don't have to split hairs to say that the top line looks like it was made by a program attempting to get an easy 4-0 ooc. Line 3 also screams 4-0 except there are three names that might be capable of scoring points and making it a two score game instead of a 40 pt blowout.

So before the season has started, a normal fan and most computers would way that the OOC benefit of the doubt goes: #2 >>> #3 > #1.

** although in the future I may have to consider that Maryland and Rutgers were added into a division expecting that they should not pose a football threat for the intermediate future.