Quarterback Play

BRV920

I could also see us still being a 4 loss team with a guy like Murray or MacCarron, etc. Good coordinators know how to craft their offense around the tools they have. While you're correct, Manziel could probably mask some of the inherent flaws within this system, if it takes a Heisman candidate to be consistent and ranked at Nebraska we need to look at things a little deeper. Pinkel has an 11 win team that played a chunk of their conference play with a freshman backup QB. They adjusted and the rest of the team stepped up. That's not something that happens under this staff. There's the system (whether it's offense or defense), and if it doesn't work it's a lack of "execution". We've been hearing about it for years. We're always going to be 1-2 players from a championship team if we continue to shape our program around the need for those 1-2 players. Guess what, we aren't gonna have another Suh, or another Tommy for a long time. But with the right coaching, we don't need them. Plenty of teams show that coaching can balance out a lack of talent. And we don't lack by much, so it won't take a Saban to get us winning a couple more games a year.

That is a totally ignorant statement JDhusker. T mart showed progress every year he was here. Thru the Minnesota game this year he had 10 td's and 2 ints and I believe that we were + 2 on turnover margin with one of the games being Armstongs 3 pick game against Purdue. The turnover bug was more do to inexperience.

AA's plenty experienced and put the ball on the turf multiple times. I don't think TMart was all that much farther along in his last game than his first 6 games as a freshman. He just never developed like I though he would. If you told me his Junior season would look the way it did, 4 years into the program after his first few games I would have said it wasn't possible. He was too good as a freshman to be that mediocre as a Junior/Senior. Not saying he was bad...he was more than enough for this team to win with - I'd say a #25ish QB...but when I saw him as a freshman I thought for sure he'd be a shoe in for a trip to New York by a junior/senior.

BAM, Landlord. Great stuff.

I love the two quarterbacks we have currently going into next year. JSV and Tommy Armstrong are both guys with a lot of skills and promise. I hope they'll become our next great QB but even some of the greatest can't do it without a successful program behind them. I mean, Jake Locker was a stud, but didn't Washington not do much during his tenure? I don't think he himself even had such otherworldy statistics.

There is no doubt that coaching is a big part of winning. Missouri is a great example. They had a losing record last year which I believe was Franklins first year as a starter. This year they get better QB play and they are in the SEC championship game. If you look at the top 5 or 6 teams they are getting solid QB play. It would have been pretty easy for Missouri to fire Pinkel after last season. Losing record, DUI, and very messy divorce but they stuck with him and now it's paying off.

Its clear there is ZERO quarterback development on this team.

Didn't we take a raw, barely-recruited, burner and turn him into 1st Team All-Big Ten QB, ahead of an Urban Meyer coached Braxton Miller.

I do feel that TM devoloped over his career. But I would wager if you offered any coach (other than Bo) in the country the choice between TM and Braxton Miller it would be an overwhelming choice of Miller.

Just curious all you Bo haters out there. What do you think our record would have been with Johnny football of Oregons Qb running our offense? Is it possible that we a one player away from having a very good team?

Totally, 1000% agree. Where has Texas been since Vince Young/Colt McCoy split town? A&M hadn't been relevant for 20 years until Manziel showed up. Watch what happens when Alabama has a new QB next year. The fact of the matter is that a good QB can make everybody look like a genius. We haven't had crap at QB since Ganz graduated. Everybody trashed Bo for losing to a good Iowa team while using a third string QB. Stupid.

We are not just one player away. A QB like Manziel/Mariota would have done better, but when you are as fundamentally bad as we are, one player doesn't matter. A football team has to be able to sustain blocks, tackle and hold onto the football before it even thinks about being great.

In the 12th round when both fighters are running on empty, it's the boxer who can keep his hands up who will win.

I dont know why anyone would think we would of been any better this year with a different QB, even a healthy martinez. Its clear there is ZERO quarterback development on this team. Every single QB that has played under pelini has had turnover problems and problems reading coverages. Stanton wont be any better than Armstrong if we dont have anyone here developing these guys. As of right now it looks like next year we will be getting more of the same thing we have been seeing for the QB position for the last 6 years. INTS, Fumbles, Bad reads.

Your right taking a kid who had hardly played the QB position, and making him into a first team all B1G QB as a junior shows no development at all...wtf?