Playoff System

Scratchtown

Champs or nothing from the top 8 conferences, that's what the divisional championship should be for, to earn the right to be in the playoff, rankings are biased, never mind outright wrong, ESPN tries them with power rankings for the NFL NHL etc... and they are very wrong on who gets to the big game.

8 teams enter, one team leaves.

• Fire 1

Champs or nothing from the top 8 conferences, that's what the divisional championship should be for, to earn the right to be in the playoff, rankings are biased, never mind outright wrong, ESPN tries them with power rankings for the NFL NHL etc... and they are very wrong on who gets to the big game. 8 teams enter, one team leaves.

That's why there is a selection committee. Even with 4, there is no gaurantee that #s 1-4 are in. It's not automatic. If we get to 8, I hope the ACC, SEC, B1G, Pac12, and Big Dumpster Fire get their champ in, with the committee selecting final 3. Don't just go with rankings, as we have discussed, can be prone to human biases.

And for this...

Dilemma? If FSU and OSU win their games, they'll be in the title game. Not much of a dilemma.

If OSU BARELY squeaks by what? #12 MSU and Auburn trounces #5 Mizzou, an argument COULD be made. Especially when you look at schedules. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it's not as clear as one would think.

I would prefer 8 league champs seeded accordingly. You dont win your league, too bad. Outs a whole extra emphasis on winning every week.

What 8 leagues? You're saying winning the AAC or MAC is worth more than 11-1 Alabama, etc?

IsBoise State at 13-0 champ of MTN WEST better than 11-1 Bama who got left out of an 8 team playoff? Maybe not, but they won their conference, so they are in. Would 10-2 SMU be better than 12-1 Florida who lost the SEC title game? No, but if SMU was deemed the AAC champ they are in for winning their league. Is it fair? Not entirely, but it sure as hell puts credibility back in the regular season, something the SEC is robbing us of.

• Fire 1

Take the 5 major conferences and 3 highest ranked teams that don't win their conference. Only place I would change things is that the top 5 seeds are slotted dependent upon conference strength. If SEC is determined best conference by Sagarin or whatever power ranking you want to use then the SEC champs get the 1 seed and so on. The "at-large" teams will be slotted 6-8 depending on how they are ranked.

If OSU BARELY squeaks by what? #12 MSU and Auburn trounces #5 Mizzou, an argument COULD be made. Especially when you look at schedules. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it's not as clear as one would think.

You could then debate Alabama has a better loss than Auburn.

But Auburn won the head to head and is currently #2. The computers and voters won't jump Bama over Auburn but MIGHT jump Auburn over OSU.

Auburn and Mizzou have a loss. Shouldnt matter, they lost, they are out. Thats how things worked when Oki State got left out even though they won their league. Theynhad a loss, so they were out. Even though they were replaced by a team with a loss that didnt win its division. Bamas loss was better so they were in. So by that logic tOSU and FSU jave no losses, they should be in verbatim.

Always thought that was an interesting take that rarely gets brought up. Who's had the better SEASON? The team that's lost to the one-loss #3 team or the team that lost to the three-loss #15 team?

Not saying it should be that way but that's why I think you don't take only one from a conference. I'm no SEC apologist but Alabama lost on one of the craziest endings in the history of college football. Not that you can say they would have won in overtime but the sample size is too small in college football to say "you lost one game, you're out."

Always thought that was an interesting take that rarely gets brought up. Who's had the better SEASON? The team that's lost to the one-loss #3 team or the team that lost to the three-loss #15 team?

Not saying it should be that way but that's why I think you don't take only one from a conference. I'm no SEC apologist but Alabama lost on one of the craziest endings in the history of college football. Not that you can say they would have won in overtime but the sample size is too small in college football to say "you lost one game, you're out."

Mav, it's an interesting debate, but you can't look at their quality of losses without looking at their quality of wins. There is no easy answer because the system is inherently flawed. The 4 team playoff will help, but I still can't believe it will be a TRUE solution until we expand it to 8, and I believe this is the first step. My argument about At-large bids makes it less attractive to schedule Florida A&M, Northsouthwesterneast Georgia Community College, etc.

If Conf Championships are ALL that matter, then there is no real motivation for good OOC play.

OkSt were left out not because they had a loss, but because they lost LATE. It's how it happens. If you lose late and drop, even if only a coupe of spots, you don't have time to recover. I think they lost in the 2nd-last game of the season. That makes a difference.
.......unless your an SEC team.....