Playoff System

Scratchtown

Joe Schad@schadjoe 1m

CFB Playoff announces it will pledge minimum of $5 million this year as part of new philanthropic initiative, Extra Yard For Teachers

Joe Schad@schadjoe 1m

The CFB Playoff plans to help teachers K-12 w resources for classroom needs as they are "underappreciated" per CFB Playoff Foundation

Joe Schad@schadjoe 10m

The CFB Playoff plans to recognize teachers at their games

Joe Schad@schadjoe 7m

ND AD Jack Swarbrick initially suggested teachers may be a good place to put their $

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

On the occasion of the two-year anniversary of its birth Friday, the College Football Playoff released a document to USA TODAY Sports and other outlets that reveals its vision for how teams should be selected. The document, drafted June 20, 2012, also details the order of criteria its founders envision for the selection committee to break ties when setting the four-team playoff field.

"Strength of schedule, head-to-head competition and championships won must be specifically applied as tie-breakers between teams that look similar," the document reads. Those were proposed to differentiate between "teams with similar records and similar pedigree."
Those also are three of the criteria the College Football Playoff Management committee, a group of commissioners from Football Bowl Subdivision conferences and Notre Dame athletics director Jack Swarbrick, outlined in the document titled "How to select the best four teams". The final criterion listed is "Comparative outcomes of common opponents", but without factoring in margin of victory.

USA Today

"Strength of schedule, head-to-head competition and championships won must be specifically applied as tie-breakers between teams that look similar," the document reads. Those were proposed to differentiate between "teams with similar records and similar pedigree."

I saw this today as well. Kind of the same info we were already privy to but they are at least trying to make it clear how they will be voting.

• 4 weeks later...

Per 247:

The power conferences will receive almost double the amount they received from the BCS this season thanks to the new College Football Playoff, according to George Schroeder of USA Today. The ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC will earn approximately $50 million according to estimates from playoff director Bill Hancock.
The other conferences actually are scheduled to receive almost five times what they earned previously, with approximately $75 million to be split among the other five FBS-level leagues. "There's more money for everybody," Hancock told USA Today. According to the article, Notre Dame will receive $2.3 million in 2014; the other three independents will split $922,658. However, they would receive bonuses for appearing in the playoff or Cotton, Fiesta or Peach bowls.

• Fire 1

I'm still not sold on playoff system and new selection committee .... could be a couple of biased and/or kickback guys (and Rice too). Anyway, #5 team left out ...and #6 and #7 ....... controversies continued, again. I like the old BCS; divided by human polls, coaches and computers plus I enjoyed BCS Selection Show presented by ESPN. If it ain't broke, don't fix it I say. I know, minority voice.

And I'm disappointment for Rose Bowl event if Huskers will win in CCG (unlikely) but not enough for Top4 ratings ...... traditional bowl match-up down the drain (B1G vs. PAC12). BTW, what bowl? Guaranteed "at large" bid ?