Playoff System

Scratchtown

I think those are rosy predictions that assume people will care about the Peach Bowl when it isn't a playoff game.

Ummmm .... it's had at least one Top 25 team in it almost every year. And it's been an ACC/SEC matchup right in the heart of ACC/SEC territory. It's not one of the Big Four but you could argue that it's had better teams than the Fiesta Bowl several times in the last few years. And now it will be getting even better teams. Not a bad game.

I think those are rosy predictions that assume people will care about the Peach Bowl when it isn't a playoff game.

Ummmm .... it's had at least one Top 25 team in it almost every year. And it's been an ACC/SEC matchup right in the heart of ACC/SEC territory. It's not one of the Big Four but you could argue that it's had better teams than the Fiesta Bowl several times in the last few years. And now it will be getting even better teams. Not a bad game.

Yeah but I barely knew it existed, it was the last wave of "teams that fell just short of the bcs" bowls before the real ones. I don't think one extra game provides a real bump, they must have projected one somewhere.

That's why they say the playoff will/should not expand to 8, they wouldn't be creating new value, just taking it from the bowls.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah but I barely knew it existed, it was the last wave of "teams that fell just short of the bcs" bowls before the real ones. I don't think one extra game provides a real bump, they must have projected one somewhere.

That's why they say the playoff will/should not expand to 8, they wouldn't be creating new value, just taking it from the bowls.

I still don't understand what value any playoff takes from any bowl even if it does expand to 8 teams. Bowls like the Peach Bowl are meaningless to anyone other than the teams playing in it. It has been that way for a very very long time.

Tom Osborne understands the awesome responsibility of being a member of the first College Football Playoff selection committee.

Someone blew up his mailbox.
"Blown apart after an Oklahoma game," Nebraska's legendary coach said. "Probably would have been the late 70s."
Osborne certainly had his issues with Barry Switzer -- a 5-12 head-to-head record -- none of them were personal.
"No, Barry wouldn't do that," Osborne added. "You just viewed it [fan reaction] as part of the territory. Most fans don't blow your mailbox up [but] you'd leave the phone off the hook at night or pull the shades."
Pulled shades have become home security alarms. Land lines are now smart phones. If a Hall of Fame coach at the top of his game is concerned about harassment 35 years ago, what does the playoff era have in store?

CBS Sports

I still don't understand what value any playoff takes from any bowl even if it does expand to 8 teams. Bowls like the Peach Bowl are meaningless to anyone other than the teams playing in it. It has been that way for a very very long time.

Right, the Peach Bowl had no bearing on the championship before, and it has no bearing now. If there are more playoff spots than there were bowl games, it could get slightly worse teams, but it will still have the same meaning to the teams in it that it did before. Meaning that it could be a reward for teams, vacation for fans, a chance to break into or improve your ranking, extra time to work on things for next year, showcase for the pros, or just a meaningless game through which the players go through the motions. However, for the 2 or 6 extra teams that now have a legitimate chance to win the championship on the field, this has great value, much more than any minimal value taken from the minor bowls.

the Sugar Bowl had plenty of meaning this year, of course not as much as before the BCS. That was still true of the other Big Bowls that weren't hosting the BCSCG. A typical year had the CG, the Rose Bowl, and a couple of other really interesting matchups.

This format pretends that the Peach = Sugar = Fiesta etc. but I don't see it happening. How many famous Peaches do you remember?

To answer your question though, when you add games at the top, everyone else goes lower on the pecking order. Instead of the bowls starting with #3, they start with #5.

the Sugar Bowl had plenty of meaning this year, of course not as much as before the BCS. That was still true of the other Big Bowls that weren't hosting the BCSCG. A typical year had the CG, the Rose Bowl, and a couple of other really interesting matchups.

This format pretends that the Peach = Sugar = Fiesta etc. but I don't see it happening. How many famous Peaches do you remember?

To answer your question though, when you add games at the top, everyone else goes lower on the pecking order. Instead of the bowls starting with #3, they start with #5.

What???

Let's go back to pre BCS. There was maybe 3-4 bowls that meant anything to the NC talk. That was on a good year. In a typical year, it was down to maybe two games.

Now, the BCS era came with the championship game and it pitted the 1vs 2 together. Gee. OK....now you just have one game deciding it instead of two. It was still better because you at least pitted the two together that should be playing instead of the cluster that was 1997 when Michigan and Nebraska should have played but the system was too screwed up to allow it.

NOW, you are going to have three games with major meaning every year to the championship. The rest play for spots in the final top 25.

NOTHING is devaluing any bowl game. It's the most over used buzz phrase in college football.