Playoff System

Scratchtown

OkSt were left out not because they had a loss, but because they lost LATE. It's how it happens. If you lose late and drop, even if only a coupe of spots, you don't have time to recover. I think they lost in the 2nd-last game of the season. That makes a difference.
.......unless your an SEC team.....

Alabama lost to a HIGHLY RANKED LSU BEFORE OSU lost to an UNRANKED ISU.

Then Bama played 2 games and OSU played 1. That's why when you lose and who you lose to both matter, AND why who you beat and WHEN you beat them also matters.

OkSt were left out not because they had a loss, but because they lost LATE. It's how it happens. If you lose late and drop, even if only a coupe of spots, you don't have time to recover. I think they lost in the 2nd-last game of the season. That makes a difference.
.......unless your an SEC team.....

Alabama lost to a HIGHLY RANKED LSU BEFORE OSU lost to an UNRANKED ISU.

Then Bama played 2 games and OSU played 1. That's why when you lose and who you lose to both matter, AND why who you beat and WHEN you beat them also matters.

I aGree with you that scheduling Citadel and Minnesota Tech go away with At larges but they also do with the committee selection. If winning your league doesnt mean you get in then whats the point of leagues other than to beef uo your schedule?

My problem with Bama vs OkieSt was that they took into account who lost to who. That shouldnt have been the deciding factor. Bama didnt win their division yet OkiSt won the Big 12 and got shunned. Who lost to who shoild have been a tie breaker if anuthing, not the sole reason tohave a rematch that sucked the first time. 9-6 is not the game of the century.

Mav, it's an interesting debate, but you can't look at their quality of losses without looking at their quality of wins. There is no easy answer because the system is inherently flawed. The 4 team playoff will help, but I still can't believe it will be a TRUE solution until we expand it to 8, and I believe this is the first step. My argument about At-large bids makes it less attractive to schedule Florida A&M, Northsouthwesterneast Georgia Community College, etc.

If Conf Championships are ALL that matter, then there is no real motivation for good OOC play.

Agree with you about quality wins and you last point is exactly right. And 8 is definitely the way to go.

If OSU BARELY squeaks by what? #12 MSU and Auburn trounces #5 Mizzou, an argument COULD be made. Especially when you look at schedules. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it's not as clear as one would think.

The argument will most certainly be made, but it will be futile. It's clear cut. If OSU and FSU win their conference title games, they're in.

I know I am in the minority here, but I say stick with 4. If an 8 team playoff gives us teams like Stanford, Oregon, Baylor, or ASU every year can anyone really say those teams did enough to earn a chance at a title? I do think it will go to 8 eventually because money talks, but I have a hard time finding 8 deserving squads in any given year.

The Dude, I think you're probably right. OSU's problem (Okie Lite) in 2011 was that they didn't HAVE a conference champ game to play a final ranked opponent to boost their resume. Unless OSU loses to MSU, I really don't think any margin of victory will be enough for Auburn to jump them.

I think I heard somewhere that all Ohio St. has to do is win and they are in. Apparently the gap in some of the polls between OSU and Auburn is too wide to overcome unless OSU loses.

I know I am in the minority here, but I say stick with 4. If an 8 team playoff gives us teams like Stanford, Oregon, Baylor, or ASU every year can anyone really say those teams did enough to earn a chance at a title? I do think it will go to 8 eventually because money talks, but I have a hard time finding 8 deserving squads in any given year.

With 4, how do you justify WHICH 1-loss teams from major conferences get in? Let's say you have 2 undefeateds and 1-loss Nebraska, Texas, Clemson, LSU. Who gets in?

The Dude, I think you're probably right. OSU's problem (Okie Lite) in 2011 was that they didn't HAVE a conference champ game to play a final ranked opponent to boost their resume. Unless OSU loses to MSU, I really don't think any margin of victory will be enough for Auburn to jump them.

I think I heard somewhere that all Ohio St. has to do is win and they are in. Apparently the gap in some of the polls between OSU and Auburn is too wide to overcome unless OSU loses.

It's definitely a possibility, although probably not likely. Auburn already picked up five first place votes, plus several more where they're #2 with tOSU #3. It would take quite a few more but there are about 4,000 voters. If Auburn wins big and tOSU struggles, it could get close.

It's definitely a possibility, although probably not likely. Auburn already picked up five first place votes, plus several more where they're #2 with tOSU #3. It would take quite a few more but there are about 4,000 voters. If Auburn wins big and tOSU struggles, it could get close.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Auburn jumps them. I don't think they should but with how things have been going lately to favor the SEC nothing at this point is unrealistic.

Maybe Auburn Mizzou will finish 3-0, no then ESPN will say how amazing both defenses are. .aybe it will be a 50-51 shootout, no the. espn will say how amazing both Offenses are. Maybe one will blow the other out 34-3, no then tbe winner will jump tOSU and play in the BCS title game. Well there is no option, we must destrou ESPN.