Did NU do the right thing in retaining Bo - some opinions

TGHusker

The only thing that is brought up is Bo now. I do agree that when negative things are going on, negative things are brought up...just like when you only look for negative, you are going to surprisingly find it.

Not within the core group of people I hang out with. When the discussion transitions to Nebraska, it extends well beyond Pelini anymore. None of it is really positive. And these are people that used to have a ton of respect for Nebraska football. Even after the losses in 08/09 (these guys are MU/KU/KSU fans) they still loved to play Nebraska and always expected a good game. Now Nebraska is viewed to be about as competitive as a Tech or an Ole Miss. We're a middle of the pack BCS team. Our "fans" are all crappy w/ too high of expectations. Our coach is a classless d-bag, etc, etc. I have texts from last week before the game from a couple of them asking me if it was the d-bags last game. That's life outside of the fishbowl that is Nebraska I guess. The new norm. Better get used to it huh?

I see the same thing living in Michigan. I attributed much of it to the bad feelings from 1997, but that was a long time ago.

Kansas is the same way. I honestly have not run into a single supporter of Bo around KC. The only ones I hear about are on here.

I live in KC and play golf with guys from Auburn, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma. When we teed off yesterday the only thing they really wanted to talk about was the big Auburn win and Bo Pelini losing his mind on the field.

I see the same thing living in Michigan. I attributed much of it to the bad feelings from 1997, but that was a long time ago.

Kansas is the same way. I honestly have not run into a single supporter of Bo around KC. The only ones I hear about are on here.

I live in KC and play golf with guys from Auburn, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma. When we teed off yesterday the only thing they really wanted to talk about was the big Auburn win and Bo Pelini losing his mind on the field.

where'd ya play? was nice yesterday.

I say everyone needs to go all-in on next season with Bo Pelini and the team.

Because he is going to be the coach - whether you like it or not - and we have good athletes on the way up.

The pressure will be high, but that's how it should be.

Bo will be on a short leash, but he's earned it.

Fans are hungry. They want to cheer.

Haters B hating. Might B fun to shut them up.

Backs to the wall. Forget the past six years. 2014 is show time.

Show us what you've got. If this team is willing to fight demons at the gates of hell for Bo Pelini, they can start by playing four quarters of balls-out football. Preferrably consecutive quarters.

I honestly don't think there's a magic number of wins, just a quality of play.

• Fire 5

Washington job just opened up, maybe he will go there.

I don't see him staying. I still think we have a new coach within the next 10 days. I could be wrong, because I really can't imagine him getting any kind of job comparable to Nebraska after the week...but I'm thinking he's on his way out. If not this year, then next - so why stay? As was mentioned in this article: "it’s going to come at the cost of a sideshow of a season in 2014."

You know in the back of my mind, I hope there is an escape hatch here for both Bo and NU. Both do not like the situation. We know Bo's attitude and you have to know that behind the scenes boasts have got to be raising concerns about the public Bo and the shadow it casts on NU. It would be great if a program came up where Bo said - you know I don't need the stress - I'll take that job but I don't see him quitting - too much money at stake for him. If we don't see any staff changes in the next 4-5 weeks then I suspect Bo will go into 2014 wt a chip on his shoulder and tempt the admin to knock it off.

Because he is going to be the coach - whether you like it or not - and we have good athletes on the way up.

Show us what you've got. If this team is willing to fight demons at the gates of hell for Bo Pelini, they can start by playing four quarters of balls-out football. Preferrably consecutive quarters.

Why do you have to call the non-kool aid drinkers 'haters'. I bet most of those who would like to see a coach change were Bo believers at 1st. Most of us wanted Bo to bring fire, passion (not anger), and D back into the team. The Pro Bo and the anti Bo people all want the same thing - a relevant, successful football team that wins championships. Perhaps the pro-Bo are more patient or perhaps the anti-Bo see the hand writing on the wall more clearer. I didn't see Bo's antics on the field or his press conference, but if I did, I would have assumed that Iowa (wt the 21 pt blowout) would have been his last game. I'm still trying to reconcile this other than the admin didn't want to payout $7-8m.

good post. but i really think the last thing this team needs is an indecent exposure scandal.

I don't see him staying. I still think we have a new coach within the next 10 days. I could be wrong, because I really can't imagine him getting any kind of job comparable to Nebraska after the week...but I'm thinking he's on his way out. If not this year, then next - so why stay? As was mentioned in this article: "it’s going to come at the cost of a sideshow of a season in 2014."

You know in the back of my mind, I hope there is an escape hatch here for both Bo and NU. Both do not like the situation. We know Bo's attitude and you have to know that behind the scenes boasts have got to be raising concerns about the public Bo and the shadow it casts on NU. It would be great if a program came up where Bo said - you know I don't need the stress - I'll take that job but I don't see him quitting - too much money at stake for him. If we don't see any staff changes in the next 4-5 weeks then I suspect Bo will go into 2014 wt a chip on his shoulder and tempt the admin to knock it off.

I just think 2014 is now lost. He could go 12-2, and I think he leaves for a better gig. He could go 8-5 and he gets canned or leaves for another gig. Everything makes me believe 2014 is his last year (assuming he's still here, which I'm not sure he will be), so why stay? USC/Texas job openings? Who cares, we'll have Michigan/Florida job openings to deal with after next year. Every year there are 2-3, I'd say this is a better year than most because we'd be the best of the B1G by a mile. This is just prolonging the inevitable IMO. Next year is going to be rough.

I don't have enough information to conclude if keeping Bo was the right decision. if there was no good coach available, it was the right decision. Otherwise, I believe it was a mistake.

I would be really surprised if a better coach were not available --- really surprised. I think it was a mistake --- not because of the on-field performance (or lack thereof) so much so as the reputation of the football program...

Living out-of-state, based upon my seeing the perception of other football fans, when NU comes up, the response is almost uniformly the same --- they think lack of class. They think of Ritchie incognito, Bo Pelini, Carl Pelini and Suh (and, if they are older, add Lawrence Phillips in there) --- and they think very, very negatively about NU football as a result. They see temper tantrums, headset throwing, F-bomb laced tirades, angered-drenched defiant interviews, etc....

The point is, if a poll were taken nationally, and the question is what football program displays the least class... NU would be tops or close to tops in the poll. That the NU administration chose to retain a coach who has contributed so much to the negative perception of the program and the university is most disappointing. To me anyway, the poor coaching quality and on-field lack of results are secondary to the class of the program... which has been, and seemingly remains, compromised.

I see this as a mistake and speaks volumes about the AD --- and not well.

I really don't think NU would be tops or near tops in a national poll over least classy football programs. The reason being that we're merely an after thought to most college football fans. I'd put more money on Bama or LSU being at the top or near tops primarily because of recent success. I really doubt most college football fans outside of Nebraska and the Big 10 give us much thought at all.

In terms of whether it was a mistake to retain Bo or not, I believe this is a question where the answer remains to be seen. Eichorst gave Bo some rope. He'll either hang himself next year, or we'll see dramatic improvement. These really are the only two directions I see us going. We'll either see a 2007 type implosion or we'll be singing Bo praises. This is gut check time. We'll either see a laser focused Bo, or we'll see a Bo who just doesn't give a $hit. The 2014 season will answer the question.

Or maybe Bo keeps winning 9 games a season, but NU is un-ranked or ranked 20-25. Bo behaves just enough not to get fired, and we have this discussion for 5 more years.

I have faced it here in SoCal for many years, but mostly because my boss is an SC grad and former SC athlete. His comments after the Texas A&M game were, who would play for that man. Over the top. He played Tennis so some leeway is given.

Now he lives next door to the Martinez family, says he hears nothing but good about Nebraska, Taylor loves it there, Drake loves the place. He has two children at Cornel and the next one is talking about going to Nebraska, and the SC grad is in favor of it. Less party time I think he thinks.

But normally when I see Nebraska fans, Phillips used to be the battle cry, but now it focuses on Coach Pelini, and never is anything said positive. I have relayed that several times.

I still see improvement in him. We hired exactly what we wanted. Fire. He gives it to us on a regular basis, and no matter what, we have seen a defense that seems to be improving. Still think he is in way over his head, needs help, be it the OC or DC or just an experienced assistant that has been at one of the major programs recently.

All of want Nebraska to be Nebraska, Bo is in charge of that, no matter your feelings we need to support him through this year. He needs us far more than he even knows. We may need to be the bigger of the two, accept his shortfalls, and praise his steps forward. That is what I have doing for the last 6 to 7 months. I truly hope he makes us proud this year.

• Fire 1

I just think 2014 is now lost. He could go 12-2, and I think he leaves for a better gig. He could go 8-5 and he gets canned or leaves for another gig. Everything makes me believe 2014 is his last year, so why stay? USC/Texas job openings? Who cares, we'll have Michigan/Florida job openings to deal with after next year. Every year there are 2-3, I'd say this is a better year than most because we'd be the best of the B1G by a mile. This is just prolonging the inevitable IMO. Next year is going to be rough.

I firmly believe that if NU shows dramatic improvement next year, Bo will leave given the opportunity.

Is there a possibility NU has asked Bo to look for another job with the understanding that NU will pay the difference in his current salary and whatever his new salary is?

I don't have enough information to conclude if keeping Bo was the right decision. if there was no good coach available, it was the right decision. Otherwise, I believe it was a mistake.

I would be really surprised if a better coach were not available --- really surprised. I think it was a mistake --- not because of the on-field performance (or lack thereof) so much so as the reputation of the football program...

Living out-of-state, based upon my seeing the perception of other football fans, when NU comes up, the response is almost uniformly the same --- they think lack of class. They think of Ritchie incognito, Bo Pelini, Carl Pelini and Suh (and, if they are older, add Lawrence Phillips in there) --- and they think very, very negatively about NU football as a result. They see temper tantrums, headset throwing, F-bomb laced tirades, angered-drenched defiant interviews, etc....

The point is, if a poll were taken nationally, and the question is what football program displays the least class... NU would be tops or close to tops in the poll. That the NU administration chose to retain a coach who has contributed so much to the negative perception of the program and the university is most disappointing. To me anyway, the poor coaching quality and on-field lack of results are secondary to the class of the program... which has been, and seemingly remains, compromised.

I see this as a mistake and speaks volumes about the AD --- and not well.

I really don't think NU would be tops or near tops in a national poll over least classy football programs. The reason being that we're merely an after thought to most college football fans. I'd put more money on Bama or LSU being at the top or near tops primarily because of recent success. I really doubt most college football fans outside of Nebraska and the Big 10 give us much thought at all.

In terms of whether it was a mistake to retain Bo or not, I believe this is a question where the answer remains to be seen. Eichorst gave Bo some rope. He'll either hang himself next year, or we'll see dramatic improvement. These really are the only two directions I see us going. We'll either see a 2007 type implosion or we'll be singing Bo praises. This is gut check time. We'll either see a laser focused Bo, or we'll see a Bo who just doesn't give a $hit. The 2014 season will answer the question.

Or maybe Bo keeps winning 9 games a season, but NU is un-ranked or ranked 20-25. Bo behaves just enough not to get fired, and we have this discussion for 5 more years.

While this might be possible, it's doubtful we'll have this discussion for five more years considering his contract is up in three. No way given this type of "success" does he get a contract extension. On a side note, I can't believe the Duke Bluedevils are ranked ahead of us. The longer we stay irrelevant, the more likely it becomes permanent.