Comments from the Shawn Eichorst "Sports Nightly" appearance last night

knapplc

LOL, the guy needs to take responsibility rather than rationalize his ridiculous inaction the previous two weeks. At minimum he should've said something to Bo earlier, he obviously wasn't looking to can Bo, who obviously could've stood to hear some level of support. Bo and probably the staff/team was ragged-out by all this drama and it was obvious after the game he was ready for the axe to fall. In terms of a public statement all SE basically needed to do was have the minimal foresight to release a statement along the lines of the one release post-Iowa saying not to believe the rumor-mill and that any evaluation weren't planned til after the season. Any rumors you hear are just that, baseless, and this activity is distracting for a program trying to win games.

I don't care how you like to handle things, this was a situation that needed to be dealt with and he is getting paid a million per to do it.

And look how many people took his statement after the game and twisted it to say what they wanted. Also, I remember hearing quite often that evaluations will be after the season.

Agreed. Jeremy Foley gave Muschamp a strong public voice of support. The media was happy to not let the facts get in the way of ratings and kept right on going about his job security.

AD Shawn "Mr. Invisible" Eichorst made his monthly appearance on the Sports Nightly show from Husker Sports Network.

Eichorst said he's "darned proud" of the way the team battled this season. Said it wasn't how anyone expected it to turn out, and he cited the crazy number of injuries across the team. Said the team fought through that adversity all season.

Eichorst said he didn't think the results of this season were based on a lack of preparation by Bo or the staff. Said Bo has admitted that he has shortcomings and he's working on them. Said that his policy of evaluating his coaches at the end of the season is why he didn't comment until last Saturday about Bo's future.

Eichorst basically said the only reason he made a comment last weekend was because his hand was forced by "all the reports" out there, some that got too personal, that were mostly unfounded. Said that if he had commented on Bo's status earlier in the season it would have created unrealistic scenarios pertaining to Bo's job. Basically, to paraphrase my paraphrasing, he's saying that anything he said would have been considered a benchmark, and he wasn't going to give that impression to anyone. I took this to mean the press would have spun any statement he made into "Bo must do ______ or he's fired," and that's not what Eichorst wanted, so he said nothing. Also cited his personal policy of waiting until the season is finished to fully evaluate the coach's performance.

Eichorst talked about the Fan Experience at Memorial Stadium on gamedays. Said he spent time every game walking through tailgates talking to fans about the game, and said they're going to work on the wifi, the sound system and the band before next year.

BOOM! LAWYERED!

Eichorst talked about the Fan Experience at Memorial Stadium on gamedays. Said he spent time every game walking through tailgates talking to fans about the game, and said they're going to work on the wifi, the sound system and the band before next year.

so you are working with eichorst to remove his ban?

I like SE. I got to see him a little closer to home as I live in Florida. Given what he had to deal with here, he did pretty well. His one hire, a basketball coach, has been very good.

I think he handled this year pretty well. He has been under the microscope nearly as much as Bo, for what he DIDN'T say during the season. The last thing I think a coach needs is to have the AD critiquing his every game on a weekly basis. We don't know what was or wasn't said behind closed doors. The pressure built up so much among media and fans though, that he spoke early, or early for him. I think that alone says a lot about the man, and in a good way. He will probably be very good for the school, not a man prone to making rash decisions on too little information.

Time will tell, but I like it so far.

I only wavered in my support of Bo after that Iowa outburst and that was a terrible day for a lot of reasons. The Iowa loss, in itself, was ot that big of a deal, considering the rest of the season. At least to me. It was the circus leading up to it that I hated. Now, knowing that Shawn supports Bo at least for another year, perhaps things will calm down a lot. Hopefully next year is better. Seriously, how many teams could accomplish even 8 wins with the amount of injuries we had?

I think S&C should be among the top concerns, and rehab procedures after injuries. Can anyone really think that Bama would have been the same without McCarron, half their starting offense, and missing big chunks of defense with almost all replacements being underclassmen? Sometimes bad things happen, and we got more than our share this year.

Good comments and he has a LOT more info than we have about Bo. I can't help but wonder what a HEALTHY team would have done this year. He was in a tough spot, and I think he handled it pretty well.

I frimly a believe a healthy Tmart would have us at 12-0 right now. Unfortunately, he probably hasn't been healthy since the beginning of his RS freshman year.

I don't really think we would be 12-0, but I believe we would be 10-2 at the very worst.

I think 12-0 is a pipe dream. 10-2 is more realistic, but probably also too optimistic. The defense earlier this season was a train wreck. And in three prior seasons of play, Martinez led us to 4 losses each time. So the notion that if we'd had him, we'd be undefeated isn;t supported by looking at how the team performed when Martinez actually was healthy.

Good comments and he has a LOT more info than we have about Bo. I can't help but wonder what a HEALTHY team would have done this year. He was in a tough spot, and I think he handled it pretty well.

I frimly a believe a healthy Tmart would have us at 12-0 right now. Unfortunately, he probably hasn't been healthy since the beginning of his RS freshman year.

I don't really think we would be 12-0, but I believe we would be 10-2 at the very worst.

I think 12-0 is a pipe dream. 10-2 is more realistic, but probably also too optimistic. The defense earlier this season was a train wreck. And in three prior seasons of play, Martinez led us to 4 losses each time. So the notion that if we'd had him, we'd be undefeated isn;t supported by looking at how the team performed when Martinez actually was healthy.

I don't know that Martinez would have helped in all situations, but we should have won the Michigan State game. Turnovers and field position didn't help with that one. I also felt like the Minnesota game could have been different if we had all of our offensive weapons healthy. We could play the "what if" game all day long, but IMO we should have been 10-2 at the worst.

That's a pretty lame and uninformed comment. The Huskers were undefeated when Tmart was healthy. Something like 3-0.

A new sound system in the stadium would be fantastic. I can barely hear the tunnel walk most of the time I go to games. That also might have something to do with myself being in close proximity of several large explosions in my life but I digress.

Not really. Don't have a huge desire to hear the same crappy music even clearer and louder.

My view of Shawn Eichorst took a huge positive leap after hearing him talk finally. Before this, there wasn't a whole lot for us to go off of.

Ditto; until this the entirety of my opinion of SE was "His eyes are really close together".

Geez, is there NOTHING that can be done to make some folks happy?

A new sound system! Yay! . . . NOPE. Just the same crap but louder.

What do you want, a call from the AD on Friday to ask you what songs you personally want played during the game? Try to see the positives, just try a little. There are some good things, too.

Anything that can improve game day is excellent. I also suspect that SE was talking about REAL wi-fi in the stadium. Like the free wi-fi at Starbucks and other businesses. How cool would that be? Just log on and watch other games on your tablet live, if there are other games you want to track during our games or before/after kickoff. Check scores, keep up with Facebook (for those who do social media). All sorts of cool things could be going on. But it seems like half our fans will complain about anything.

Hell, it seems that the school could give $100.00 bills to everyone who enters the stadium for a game, and half of us would say, "Geez. Only a hundred bucks? Why bother if it's anything less than a grand?"

Spoiled much? I think some of us are. And it's easy to understand why I suppose after Tom and Bob and what they did. Still, we gotta keep going, one way or another, and I prefer to look at anything in as good a light as can be mustered.

• Fire 1

That's a pretty lame and uninformed comment. The Huskers were undefeated when Tmart was healthy. Something like 3-0.

The Huskers were 2-1 in the first three games. They lost to UCLA. Unless you are saying that he was hurt for the UCLA game and came back strong for a game after that :dunno

Geez, is there NOTHING that can be done to make some folks happy?

A new sound system! Yay! . . . NOPE. Just the same crap but louder.

What do you want, a call from the AD on Friday to ask you what songs you personally want played during the game? Try to see the positives, just try a little. There are some good things, too.

Anything that can improve game day is excellent. I also suspect that SE was talking about REAL wi-fi in the stadium. Like the free wi-fi at Starbucks and other businesses. How cool would that be? Just log on and watch other games on your tablet live, if there are other games you want to track during our games or before/after kickoff. Check scores, keep up with Facebook (for those who do social media). All sorts of cool things could be going on. But it seems like half our fans will complain about anything.

Hell, it seems that the school could give $100.00 bills to everyone who enters the stadium for a game, and half of us would say, "Geez. Only a hundred bucks? Why bother if it's anything less than a grand?"

Spoiled much? I think some of us are. And it's easy to understand why I suppose after Tom and Bob and what they did. Still, we gotta keep going, one way or another, and I prefer to look at anything in as good a light as can be mustered.

0_0.gif

LOL, the guy needs to take responsibility rather than rationalize his ridiculous inaction the previous two weeks. At minimum he should've said something to Bo earlier, he obviously wasn't looking to can Bo, who obviously could've stood to hear some level of support. Bo and probably the staff/team was ragged-out by all this drama and it was obvious after the game he was ready for the axe to fall. In terms of a public statement all SE basically needed to do was have the minimal foresight to release a statement along the lines of the one release post-Iowa saying not to believe the rumor-mill and that any evaluation weren't planned til after the season. Any rumors you hear are just that, baseless, and this activity is distracting for a program trying to win games.

I don't care how you like to handle things, this was a situation that needed to be dealt with and he is getting paid a million per to do it.

How do you know for sure that he hadn't talked to Bo about his position already. Bo is a smart man. If he actually felt like his job was in danger of disappearing, I would think that he would have atleast entertained some calls at other places, even if it's the NFL. HIs reaction last week looked more of a guy whom is frustrated with not winning the games he feels his team is capable of winning. No one is more disappointed with coming up short than the team and staff whom actually work throughout the year to get better and prepare themselves for every match up during the season. For some reason, a lot of fans whom snatch the closest beer to them and a plate of wings, feel like their passion is much stronger than the guys on the field/sideline.