The All-B1G Assistant Coaching team includes 0 NU coaches

Let's just say it. We'll never be happy with an OC unless he runs the ball 60 times a game.

Actually that would be perfect. If they get 80 plays a game on offense 60 runs and 20 passes would be about right. I have no problem with passing some, but I have a big problem going 3 and out with 3 incomplete passes.

Not to mention, many of the pass plays are not good play choices. I can't count on both hands and feet how many times the QB has thrown the ball and there are 2 WRs in the same vicinity of each other. I get that it happens sometimes, but it seems to happen a lot with us. Something is not right with the design of the play and the route combinations.

Don't need a journalist to tell me what is plain to see: We have mediocre assistants, particularly at the coordinator positions. Fisher, Joseph, and Brown are capable, but Beck and especially Papuchis are significantly underperforming. Barney Cotton is a complete waste of space. And we need a dedicated special teams coordinator.

My opinion:

OC/QB: Find a Noel Mazzone-type (an established OC that runs a simple but effective offensive game plan)

WR/TE: Rich Fisher

RB: Ron Brown

OL: Garrison

DC/DL: Find a Pat Narduzzi-type (an established DC that runs a simple but aggressive defensive game plan)

LB: ???

DB: Terry Joseph

ST: Find a John Baxster-type

It's notable that many of the assistants from our best defensive teams (2009 and 2010) are no longer coaching here and the downward trend began almost immediately thereafter. Bo's gang of trainees is perhaps the single greatest problem with our team (other than Bo himself). Trouble is, Bo is too damn stubborn "loyal" to fire the wastes of space on the coaching staff that are consuming an inordinate amount of tax-payer money at an undeserved rate.

OC/QB: Find a Noel Mazzone-type (an established OC that runs a simple but effective offensive game plan)

DC/DL: Find a Pat Narduzzi-type (an established DC that runs a simple but aggressive defensive game plan)

So.. you're saying the key is finding coordinators with a double-z in their name? It... just might work!

• Fire 1

I actually thought Beck ran a better offense with Martinez out than with Martinez in. The scheme just appeared more coherent. But that probably had to do with Taylor's injuries...or maybe his audibles.

I actually think Beck is a very high quality offensive mind. He's not exactly a first time OC, having run the show as a head coach before in Texas. I think he's innovative, quite capable, a great recruiter, and a busting-his-tail asset on this staff. If Beck left I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him be highly successful elsewhere, like Shawn Watson. But Bo is also a defensive mastermind. The team's letdowns I don't believe are related to the competency of the guys designing the scheme; I think they're more endemic to the state of the program, and come from the top. Just the way everyone deals with pressure, the media, the fans, the expectations and the distractions. It's kept the team from doing a lot of things they clearly had the ability to do.

Hope that ship gets turned around. I personally don't have a lot of faith in this happening without a change of voice at the top, but you never know.

Beck tries to do too much. He doesn't do enough of what works. He out thinks himself constantly. He tries to hard to make his call based on what the defense shows when IMO he needs to just establish a rythym and focus in his team doing what they do best. Has he ever heard of a HB screen? Does the TE exist in his playbook? Does every pass have to be 15 yards downfield or 2 yards behind the line? Is there a middle ground?

Problem is, with a young staff all around the board like Nebraska has (although the young first time excuse for Bo is running out) you don't expect to " get it" all at once, but you do look for progress. PROGRESS is an attainable expectation, and PROGRESS IMO has not been made on Becks behalf.

If only everyone just called more of the plays that work. I can't believe nobody's ever thought of that :D

Every capable offense is all about exploiting the weaknesses of the defense on the field. Case in point, how do you think we've been getting gashed repeatedly using the same plays? An offense doesn't operate in a vacuum, because the defense is able to pressure certain things and take away certain things, but they can't do everything at once. When they show you a look, you have a counter. It's a chess match. Playing right into the defense's hands is a losing proposition. Why run the plays that have already been sniffed out? Those are the ones that are doomed from the start.

The funny thing when people complain about offenses is they all want a simple one, just one that also happens to run every possible kind of play in the playbook.

If only everyone just called more of the plays that work. I can't believe nobody's ever thought of that :D

Every capable offense is all about exploiting the weaknesses of the defense on the field. Case in point, how do you think we've been getting gashed repeatedly using the same plays? An offense doesn't operate in a vacuum, because the defense is able to pressure certain things and take away certain things, but they can't do everything at once. When they show you a look, you have a counter. It's a chess match. Playing right into the defense's hands is a losing proposition. Why run the plays that have already been sniffed out? Those are the ones that are doomed from the start.

The funny thing when people complain about offenses is they all want a simple one, just one that also happens to run every possible kind of play in the playbook.

I'm not 100% on board w/ this. This is the chess match that Beck plays, and often loses. You maybe exploit a weak defensive back, or a weak side of their DL, but you do it within your offensive gameplan. - but Beck adjusts his entire offense to the defense, rather than running a solid offense and forcing the defense to adjust to you. So we'll force a turnover prone freshman QB to throw the ball 35 times, limiting our all-american back to 20-23 carries. I honestly don't know what to think w/ Beck's offense. He just tries to get too cute with it. And I think part of the problem is what you mentioned above...he spends too much time trying to figure out how to exploit a defense, that he doesn't have enough time to ensure that our offense can execute at a competent level. Who knows...too much facepalm on this staff to analyze things very deeply. You never know where to start.

I don't think people get on Beck's case when a play doesn't work. I think people (myself included) get on Beck's case when the run doesn't work twice and then we never see that play again. We should know what we do well. We should know that our guy under center doesn't exactly throw the ball the best. But the guys we have up front and in the backfield, those guys can sure block and run the ball well. So that's where the majority of our plays should be focused on, the run. And I think he gets away from the run because he doesn't think there is as much room to be creative with the run game as their is the passing game. But just look at Auburn. That's the running game taken to its highest creativity level. I'd love if we could do something like that.

We have the receivers to make the passing game dangerous. So, draw in the defense by running and running differently, and then hammer them when they finally commit to that run.

That's a very simplified and probably underspecified way of running the offense. You do have to adjust a little to what the defense can take away, but it shouldn't be that you completely adjust to what the defense is doing. Sometimes, you just have to go to your strength and do it better than the defense.

So.. you're saying the key is finding coordinators with a double-z in their name? It... just might work!

Bingo.

Beck's mutt offense got us:

Rushing Offense - 19th

Passing Efficiency - 67th

Scoring Offense - 45th (32 pts/gm)

Total Offense - 59th

Beck's offense also featured the #9 rusher, Abdullah.

That, when you factor in the litany of injuries he's had to deal with, isn't too bad.

45th scoring is pittiful regardless of excuses (injuries), especially with the easy schedule we had this year. And while this is bad enough, all the TOs makes it even worse. Beck runs a multiple offense, but he hasn't realized that it is best at having multiple ways to turn the ball over.

I actually thought Beck ran a better offense with Martinez out than with Martinez in. The scheme just appeared more coherent. But that probably had to do with Taylor's injuries...or maybe his audibles.

I actually think Beck is a very high quality offensive mind. He's not exactly a first time OC, having run the show as a head coach before in Texas. I think he's innovative, quite capable, a great recruiter, and a busting-his-tail asset on this staff. If Beck left I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him be highly successful elsewhere, like Shawn Watson. But Bo is also a defensive mastermind. The team's letdowns I don't believe are related to the competency of the guys designing the scheme; I think they're more endemic to the state of the program, and come from the top. Just the way everyone deals with pressure, the media, the fans, the expectations and the distractions. It's kept the team from doing a lot of things they clearly had the ability to do.

Hope that ship gets turned around. I personally don't have a lot of faith in this happening without a change of voice at the top, but you never know.

SOunds about right. I always wonder how much control Beck Beck has over the O.

Someone said this about Nebraska basketball on the radio the other day, but I thought it applied directly to Tim Beck and was the simplest way of describing his problems coaching an offense. The guy said, " sometimes you get so focused on what the opponent does, you forget to simply take care of what you do".

To me, this simple sentence is Becks only huge downfall. He fixes this and starts focusing ore on developing the things we do well, and incorporating those things into a creative and efficient strategy, then all will be fine. You don't have to be a "mad scientist" out there. Just establish what your team does well, then develop a scheme around that. To me, we try so many different looks, so many different plays out of so many different formations trying to fool "them". Reality is, we only fool ourselves.

Hope he gets it figured out. It shouldn't take this long to learn these things. On the job training at Nebraska, who woulda thunk it?