The All-B1G Assistant Coaching team includes 0 NU coaches

Beck's mutt offense got us:

Rushing Offense - 19th

Passing Efficiency - 67th

Scoring Offense - 45th (32 pts/gm)

Total Offense - 59th

Beck's offense also featured the #9 rusher, Abdullah.

That, when you factor in the litany of injuries he's had to deal with, isn't too bad.

Not taking a stance, but Callahan's offenses put up good average statistics as well. Didn't get us very far, even when we had a defense to go along with it (2006).

Rushing Offense - 19th

Total Offense - 59th

That, when you factor in the litany of injuries he's had to deal with, isn't too bad.

Not taking a stance, but Callahan's offenses put up good average statistics as well. Didn't get us very far, even when we had a defense to go along with it (2006).

Oh, OK. Thanks! :thumbs

Some people defend Beck with Beck's numbers.

Some people denounce Bo with Bo's numbers.

These are different people.

That's how it makes sense.

Of course, I'm not defending Beck, per se. I'm simply pointing out that his offense hasn't been a total cluster. I'm in the stands bitching about a lot of play calls just like everyone else, so my post above shouldn't be construed as a blanket endorsement of Tim Beck or his offense or his playcalling. The facts are what the facts are. Everyone's welcome to interpret them how they see fit. If you look at those numbers and think Beck should be out, I'm not going to tell you you're wrong.

EDIT - also, every post I make is more valid than everyone else's right now because I put a Santa hat on my avatar. I suggest that anyone who wants to be considered cool do the same.

Rushing Offense - 19th

Total Offense - 59th

About 1/3 of Callahan's offensive stats were put up in garbage time.

I know some will slap their foreheads over this little fact, but a huge part of Beck's struggles this year were due to Martinez's injuries. He did not adjust well to losing Martinez.

You mean to tell me that losing an All-Conference QB hurt our offense? I, for one, am shocked.

This poll is just one man opinion. The Minnesota DC should have been the #1 defensive assistant. He was actually playing HC for about 4 games.

I agree that Beck needs to refine what he wants to do on offense. He needs to pare down his play book and figure out an Identity. My biggest problem is that Beck really wants to throw the ball 30+ times a game. He wants to throw that WR screen 7-8x a game. He likes the dink and dunk passing game. I myself don't care for it.

I think NU is better served when we see less than 20 passes a game. Play action with some vertical mixed in. JMO

This poll is just one man opinion. The Minnesota DC should have been the #1 defensive assistant. He was actually playing HC for about 4 games.

I agree that Beck needs to refine what he wants to do on offense. He needs to pare down his play book and figure out an Identity. My biggest problem is that Beck really wants to throw the ball 30+ times a game. He wants to throw that WR screen 7-8x a game. He likes the dink and dunk passing game. I myself don't care for it.

I think NU is better served when we see less than 20 passes a game. Play action with some vertical mixed in. JMO

Regarding the bolded,

That is EXACTLY the problem. Even with Martinez, the most he should have thrown the ball in a game was 25 times. Then when TMart got hurt, and we had Armstrong in, the magical number should have been about 15. Throw the ball 15, mix it up in the run game with I-formation, diamond, option, and the only times that we ever should have passed should have been play action. It makes almost no sense to take a run-first QB and have him do a straight drop-back. Make the defense respect the run EVERY time we snap the ball, even if we pass it.

My biggest problem is that Beck really wants to throw the ball 30+ times a game.

This is it. He has even been on record saying he wants this offense to be more of a passing offense. But that is a problem, because we are not recruiting the quarterbacks for it. You see that desire start to leak out far, far too often and it ruins our chances.

Having recently rewatched the UCLA game to pull out clips, it is unthinkable how our offense self destructed starting at halftime, and virtually all of it lies on Beck's shoulders, in my opinion.

My biggest problem is that Beck really wants to throw the ball 30+ times a game.

This is it. He has even been on record saying he wants this offense to be more of a passing offense. But that is a problem, because we are not recruiting the quarterbacks for it. You see that desire start to leak out far, far too often and it ruins our chances.

Having recently rewatched the UCLA game to pull out clips, it is unthinkable how our offense self destructed starting at halftime, and virtually all of it lies on Beck's shoulders, in my opinion.

Guys, we do remember that before Beck came here, he was the WR coach/ pass game coordinator at KU, right?

What exactly were we expecting?

Guys, we do remember that before Beck came here, he was the WR coach/ pass game coordinator at KU, right?

What exactly were we expecting?

Doesn't necessarily mean anything. Scott Frost was the defensive coordinator at Northern Iowa