Can Jamal Turner get a medical redshirt?

I am I

225 yard in his first 5 games as a Husker, basically didn't play second half of the season. Rebounded to a promising 400+ yard season before getting schematically butt-plugged to the tune of 100 total yards as a junior. If he wants to play at the next level, his smartest move is to use that redshirt, and find a new home. He isn't going to get much more than that next season.

Looking back, might have been better to leave him at QB. He could have had a nice season under his belt this year.

:confucius

Not sure if serious, his best move is to quit trying and take his ball and go home?

:dis

How many 4 year starters at WR who accumulated 800 total yards end up in the NFL? Think he's going to turn a lot of heads next year with 175 yard season? He could head down to Tulsa, or Houston or some school like that and put up 1,000+ yard season without any problem. He's just not been very heavily used here, and I don't see any indication that he will be in the future. Looking at our recruiting right now further supports that.

I don't want to see him go, but he's got a kid and his future to worry about. If he has plans to play in the NFL, I'm not sure Nebraska is the best bet. I'm obviously just looking from the outside in, he'll know far better. But there's no shame in wanting to get more yards - wouldn't blame the kid at all if he wanted to try somewhere else.

Turner will probably move to Quincy's spot next year, and westerkamp will take the slot position.

Turner came on strong in the final games of the 2012 season, I think his absence in this season was due to injury, next year will be different.

We're recruiting for Quincy's spot. You don't plug a 6'1" 185lb kid into a position that requires you to be 6'2 225lb. (Allen bulked up maybe?) Turner's a slot guy. Kinnie, Niles Paul, Enunwa...those guys play that spot.

We have two other WR that are better than him, but we need to throw the ball to Turner more (when he is hurt most of the year)? Also, we need to be using our TE more, while passing less, and running the ball more? I'm just trying to keep up with all of these Sunday morning Offensive Coordinators.

• Fire 4

Turner will probably move to Quincy's spot next year, and westerkamp will take the slot position.

Turner came on strong in the final games of the 2012 season, I think his absence in this season was due to injury, next year will be different.

We're recruiting for Quincy's spot. You don't plug a 6'1" 185lb kid into a position that requires you to be 6'2 225lb. (Allen bulked up maybe?) Turner's a slot guy. Kinnie, Niles Paul, Enunwa...those guys play that spot.

Who is #2 on depth chart behind Quincy and how big is he?

We have two other WR that are better than him, but we need to throw the ball to Turner more (when he is hurt most of the year)? Also, we need to be using our TE more, while passing less, and running the ball more? I'm just trying to keep up with all of these Sunday morning Offensive Coordinators.

Just so you can follow along, here is the list of players that needed to be used more and have the ball more this year:

TM - till we saw how hurt he was.

Armstrong - till we saw him play.

Kellog - till the last game or two.

Ameer - But don't you dare run him in the ground.

Cross - Well, he is a beast so give him the ball.

Enunwa - Can't you see he is unstoppable. He just needs the ball more.

Any tightend - We just don't use them enough.

Any fullback - because that is what Nebraska does.

Bell - I don't care if his shoulder was hurt, he needs the ball.

Turner - to hell with his hamstring, these coaches caused the injury anyway.

Westercamp - can't you see he catches anything thrown his way?

Newby - After all, he was all world coming out of HS....you need to get him the ball more than we saw this year.

Adam Taylor - Really??? Redshirt???

You suck as a coordinator unless you get all of these players more touches. If they don't, they are all going to transfer.

• Fire 6

I agree and think Turner is more of a slot type wr. I would like to see Allen get the chance to play the opposite side of Bell, if he is 100%. Allen is a big body type reciever and seems to have good hands. Westerkamp is guy that I think can play both in the slot and on the egde. I think what could hurt Turner would be if Alzono Moore emerges and gets more time or we use a TE more (wont happen). However, I would like to see Turner used a lot in like a wingback type roll, run some speed option where he is the pitch man or use the Diamond more and have him in the backfield. Also returning punts and kickoffs would be nice. Turner can be a very explosive player and should get at least 5-7 touches per game in various roles.

Just so you can follow along, here is the list of players that needed to be used more and have the ball more this year:

Newby - After all, he was all world coming out of HS....you need to get him the ball more than we saw this year.

You suck as a coordinator unless you get all of these players more touches. If they don't, they are all going to transfer.

LOL that was awesome and spot on.

If we turned the ball over less, all these guys would conceivably get more touches.

:sarcasm I keed, but seriously they would.

225 yard in his first 5 games as a Husker, basically didn't play second half of the season. Rebounded to a promising 400+ yard season before getting schematically butt-plugged to the tune of 100 total yards as a junior. If he wants to play at the next level, his smartest move is to use that redshirt, and find a new home. He isn't going to get much more than that next season.

Looking back, might have been better to leave him at QB. He could have had a nice season under his belt this year.

:confucius

Not sure if serious, his best move is to quit trying and take his ball and go home?

:dis

How many 4 year starters at WR who accumulated 800 total yards end up in the NFL? Think he's going to turn a lot of heads next year with 175 yard season? He could head down to Tulsa, or Houston or some school like that and put up 1,000+ yard season without any problem. He's just not been very heavily used here, and I don't see any indication that he will be in the future. Looking at our recruiting right now further supports that.

I don't want to see him go, but he's got a kid and his future to worry about. If he has plans to play in the NFL, I'm not sure Nebraska is the best bet. I'm obviously just looking from the outside in, he'll know far better. But there's no shame in wanting to get more yards - wouldn't blame the kid at all if he wanted to try somewhere else.

I have a crazy, crazy idea here so stay with me.

Maybe he isn't that ELITE WR that is required and maybe, just maybe, he isn't good enough to play in the NFL and wants to get his degree here?

I know its out there but lets pretend it makes sense...

• Fire 1

Who's saying we need to throw him the ball more?

Pretty much you - unless you were talking about being "schematically butt-plugged" like it was a good thing.

Who's saying we need to throw him the ball more?

Pretty much you - unless you were talking about being "schematically butt-plugged" like it was a good thing.

I never said he needed to get more touches though. He just isn't a very big part of our offense. That slot receiver never will be (see McNeil, Reed, etc) I don't care one way or the other. I'm guessing he does though. He has a better chance to play that role Bell plays in another offense IMO.

They did try to get him the ball more by trying him at PR.

He got a little flustered back there.

I feel bad for the kid what, with his growing pains his FR yr, and then being hurt this year. In the "seasons prediction" thread I had him catching 45 balls and 10 tds; being unstoppable in the red zone.

I hope we see a good rebound year from him next year.