Christ in Christmas

tmfr15

but if you can't comprehend that Thanksgiving is a holiday based in religion, in particular Christianity, well then your just ignorant of history.

perhaps you could inform us?

seems like most holidays are just amalgamations of various past celebrations and it would be hard to claim that modern day thanksgiving is a christian holiday. does any church even claim it as a christian holiday? seems like american thanksgiving (and you are right, i stopped caring about the history of thanksgiving after third grade) is closer related to fall harvest festivals. i understand that the notion of giving thanks is a christian value, but i am ignorant of the history you refer to.

I'm with you guys as well. Never had anything to do with religion in my house growing up. Even in my wife's house where they are very Catholic it was just a family holiday. Nothing religiously special about it.

this is quite interesting.

I also have no clue about any Christian or religious ties to Thanksgiving.

The only thing is that they gathered to "give thanks". Well, I'm assuming they were giving thanks to God.

Our household has never made it a huge religious holiday other than (like others have said) the prayer before the meal.

If Christmas is not the day to recognize the birth of Jesus Christ, was is it for? How is that not a religious holiday?

A. Jesus was not born on December 25th.

B. Is that actually the reason we celebrate Christmas? America as a whole? We buy everyone presents because Jesus was born? We decorate pine trees because Jesus was born? We string up lights and tell stories of Santa and elves and Rudolph because Jesus was born?

I mean I'm one of if not the most unapologetic Christian on this board, but nah, Christmas is hardly a religious holiday. It is for some people, but nowhere near the majority.

• Fire 4

I know Jesus was not born on December the 25th. But if we aren't celebrating his birth on Christmas, why have a holiday? Is it just for shopping and buying trees? How can that possibly be justification for a national holiday where the government is closed?

That's what everyone in here is asking :)

but if you can't comprehend that Thanksgiving is a holiday based in religion, in particular Christianity, well then your just ignorant of history.

perhaps you could inform us?

seems like most holidays are just amalgamations of various past celebrations and it would be hard to claim that modern day thanksgiving is a christian holiday. does any church even claim it as a christian holiday? seems like american thanksgiving (and you are right, i stopped caring about the history of thanksgiving after third grade) is closer related to fall harvest festivals. i understand that the notion of giving thanks is a christian value, but i am ignorant of the history you refer to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving which I provided earlier is a good general read. I'm not saying only the devout religious should be allowed to participate, hell, that would take me out of the equation. Do what you want to do, but it still doesn't take away the fact that it is based in religion. In the end we are all taking a day off that is rooted deeply in religion whether we are or not.

You bring up a good point about "Thanks"giving. Who were they giving thanks to in the first place?