Strength & Conditioning conversations over the years

knapplc

To build on some of the other good, and not so good points, this thread is a perfect example of why:

I have always connected S&C with the team psychologists. The mental and physical aspects have to work hand in hand. We've seen a few times this year, where players are 'looking' physically (or mentally?) tired before the end of the first half.

I have a difficult time believing that our nutrition and S&C programs are solely responsible for those moments. Note that I am not calling out anyone in particular, just suggesting that the group are tied together. No doubt we invest huge money in all those areas, but something just isn't working, or isn't working at the level or consistency it should.

That is why I, were I given the power, would be analyzing those departments. I know we send coaches to other schools to learn from their coaching staffs, and we do the same in return. I wonder if we do something similar with S&C/Nutrition/Psychology. I know there are annual conventions for all those things as well, so hopefully our staffs are taking part. But it seems like one-on-one sessions with some other currently elite schools might help us get up another level.

the mental toughness seems to be a real issue.......someone in the program surely sees the problem?...........Craig Bohl's kids looked awesome last night...not sure we could play with them!

Pelini said something that I think somewhat puts part of this conversation to bed - there's a reason guys like Suh and Amukamara come back to Nebraska to train with Dobson in the off season. Suh could go wherever and have whoever train him in the off season - he chooses Dobson. Amukamara does the same thing, and I've occasionally seen other former players like Helu back during the off season to work out.

Maybe there's something to the motivational side of it all, but a lot of that is largely speculative at this point which is why I think this argument is very silly.

Nebraska has problems, but IMHO Dobson and his work is the least of them.

Put it this way........

I think Dobson knows his stuff, the guy has won awards for his training methods.....

However, leaders need to emerge on the team that will hold themselves and everyone else accountable. They have to put in the work, every rep..... everyday.

NEB is failing in the accountability dept. IMO.......

If it's not Dobson (which I believe he isn't the problem), it's the macro-perspective of the culture of the team.......there needs to be a change in the mindset of these players to hold themselves and everyone else accountable. Hell....you had Josh Mitchell blasting Vincent on twitter for half-assing his training. At least Josh gets it......but it shouldn't have to come to that....and if it does.....you do more than blast his ass on twitter IMO.

Put it this way........

I think Dobson knows his stuff, the guy has won awards for his training methods.....

However, leaders need to emerge on the team that will hold themselves and everyone else accountable. They have to put in the work, every rep..... everyday.

NEB is failing in the accountability dept. IMO.......

If it's not Dobson (which I believe he isn't the problem), it's the macro-perspective of the culture of the team.......there needs to be a change in the mindset of these players to hold themselves and everyone else accountable. Hell....you had Josh Mitchell blasting Vincent on twitter for half-assing his training. At least Josh gets it......but it shouldn't have to come to that....and if it does.....you do more than blast his ass on twitter IMO.

Oh I completely agree that accountability has to be an important piece in any football program. The coaches need to instill it and the players have to own up to it. Whether that's a problem in the program, I feel like I don't know enough of the inner workings to say one way or the other. Obviously, something is off with this team.

Now, personally, I'm a fan of the theory that this team is an extension of Pelini. His penalty against Iowa is a perfect example. He lost focus/lacked discipline and it cost his team 15 yards. The Huskers make those sort of mistakes all the time - they lack focus and discipline and it shows. The evidence? Every season has ended with roughly the same amount of wins, filled with confusing losses and disappointments in big time games.

To me, all of this matters more than speculation about our strength and conditioning.

National Ranking in Fourth-Quarter Scoring:

2013: 93rd

2012: 45th

2011: 47th

2010: 99th

2009: 52nd

2008: 2nd

Six-year average: 56th

National Ranking in Fourth-Quarter Points Allowed:

2013: 38th

2012: 89th

2011: 51st

2010: 7th

2009: 4th

2008: 111th

Six-year average: 50th

The first step in fixing anything is admitting there is a problem. Much like the "I don't apologize for 9 wins" Bo can't even get past that step.

Context.

Nebraska outscores their opponents in the 2nd half on average (that's what these rankings are based on). That is a fact. That fact is in the same article that this lame argument was posed in LITR on journalstar.com. Nebraska beat NW in the fourth, they beat UM on the last drive, they beat Penn St in OT, they blew out SDSU in the 2nd half, I'm so tired of this lame argument.

Complain about Bo's "personality", complain about the "fake punt", complain about the "tape", etc. But the fact that "Bo haters" are starting to grasp at straws is really getting f'ing pathetic. Maybe we should check Bo's birth certificate.....

4th quarter scoring, offensive or defensive, is a dumb ranking. Sorry. There are too many game situations, and limited number of points to make this an important statistic. If a team has a lead, they sit on the ball; maybe taking a knee inside the five yardline. If a team is far behind and the other team gives up (see NU vs. WYO) it will affect the ranking. I would be more than willing to split a 12-pack and break down the 4th quarter situations of all of those seasons, but my guess is NU will still have just as many wins, and just as many losses...(which btw, is better than most other teams)

I'm a "hater" and "grasping for straws" when the crux of your argument points to a OT win over a scholarship decimated PSU, an extremely down Michigan team, a winless in conference Northwestern where Nebraska needed an outright miracle to win, and a FCS team where the defense gave up more yards to their running back than Barry Sanders ran for in his Heisman year.

Okay.

You posed the rankings as if they meant something. My comment about "haters" referred to the rankings you posted, nothing more. In my post, I acknowledged there are reasons to not like Bo as a coach. Some reasons may include struggling against NW, PSU, and Michigan. That is a legitimate argument, much more so than these stats that don't tell us anything....and you obviously "hate" the idea of Bo as the head coach of Nebraska.

Guess you don't want to split that 12-pack, huh?

I don't think S&C is a issue at all. We just have some players that have overall physical limitations speed wise. That is a recruiting and not so much a S&C issue IMO.

I do think there is a big difference of confidence and mental make-up of Bohl's NDSU squads and Pelini's NU squads. Bohl's squads probably have a mental make-up of the 90's Huskers. Our kids have faced plenty of adversity through the years. IMO much of the issues start at the top with Bo. The players may be in his corner as a whole but man it would be tough to deal with the mental anguish Bo brings at times. Then again some of our issues just are plain and simple coaching issues.