Square Pegs, and Circle Holes

I every now and then read what Ralph Brown puts on his website. His most recent post is regarding whether or not you scrap our read option spread from the gun to a more pro style to fit Stanton IF he gets the nod ahead of Armstrong.

http://ralphbrownspo...-Johnny-Stanton

When reading this I thought of Vince Young and how Texas built a team and an offense around him and how well their offense succeeded, He did almost by himself beat USC in the Title game. On the other hand you can argue that Suh was part of a system that he worked within. Both had great success. and both could be considered once in a generation type players at least on the college level.

So my question is this.

Do you change a circle hole to a square hole and make it fit?

Or do you change the square peg to a circle peg and make it fit?

Then the follow up question is: Which player or players does one build the offense around? Why build our game around Stanton and not Abdullah? Why not Bell, Westerkamp, and Burtch? Why not figure out if we have a line that is better at pass blocking or run blocking?

Personally, I would rather see Ameer Abdullah and Imani Cross featured, with a fullback on the field and a passing quarterback to keep the defense honest with our good wideouts. Quarterback would be a supporting actor, not the star.

Bo's comments about the spring competition and what they are going to do on offense may tie in here...

“Going into the bowl game, I think we have the chance to be a little bit more multiple and kind of shape it a little more toward what Tommy does and what Ronnie does,” Pelini said. “But I also think that's what the offseason is going to be for. We'll have a little bit more bulk of work. We'll have a spring ball to have a quarterback competition and see what direction we want to lean toward in our offense.”

Bo's comments about the spring competition and what they are going to do on offense may tie in here...

“Going into the bowl game, I think we have the chance to be a little bit more multiple and kind of shape it a little more toward what Tommy does and what Ronnie does,” Pelini said. “But I also think that's what the offseason is going to be for. We'll have a little bit more bulk of work. We'll have a spring ball to have a quarterback competition and see what direction we want to lean toward in our offense.”

Sounds to me like, if one guy wins our offense will look more like this and if the other wins, like this.

Sounds to me like, if one guy wins our offense will look more like this and if the other wins, like this.

Exactly. Maybe more pro style like Ralph Brown suggests for Stanton and more option I for Armstrong?

Exactly. Maybe more pro style like Ralph Brown suggests for Stanton and more option I for Armstrong?

That's what I was thinking. It will be interesting to see Beck come up with an offense mainly from under center. There are some significant changes in reciever routes and concepts in the switch between the two.

IMO, it comes down to quit being "multiple" and get great at something. Year 3 with Beck and I still have no idea what the hell we run. I agree with fitting the scheme to the player. This concept, IMO, has been lost on the staff. Making Martinez throw in the pocket, Ronnie trying to run etc......

Get a system and recruit for it. Implement a system and plays that the guys can do in their sleep, that won't get stuffed on 3rd and short.

IMO, and I might get killed for this, our receiver and TE play is not near what we would need currently to effectively go to a pro style passing attack with a QB under center. Unsure if Beck would even know what to do with a QB under center.

• Fire 2

Sounds multiple to me, like many loads of crap.

We go one way, the QB gets hurt and w have spent spring and fall camp doing what the other one can't. Decide on an offense, and run it. Do it over and over with both QB's and the one that runs it best is your starter. Continue to do this year after year, and recruit the athletes you need to run your offense, what ever the heck it is.

Throwing stuff against the wall is killing the program. Make a plan, stick with the plan and grow towards and with the plan.

• Fire 1

IMO, it comes down to quit being "multiple" and get great at something. Year 3 with Beck and I still have no idea what the hell we run. I agree with fitting the scheme to the player. This concept, IMO, has been lost on the staff. Making Martinez throw in the pocket, Ronnie trying to run etc......

Get a system and recruit for it. Implement a system and plays that the guys can do in their sleep, that won't get stuffed on 3rd and short.

IMO, and I might get killed for this, our receiver and TE play is not near what we would need currently to effectively go to a pro style passing attack with a QB under center. Unsure if Beck would even know what to do with a QB under center.

Bingo. This extreme fascination with "Multiple" has directly led us to the black hole of "No Identity"

I really think you have to throw in is this player a once in a generation type player.

Those are pretty significant laurels for a guy who has yet to do...well, anything...

Yeah if it were what I said.

You should really only change an offense because of a player if he is a once in a life time type player. Stanton has a good pedigree, but yes your right hasn't done "....well, anything....:"

You build an offense around a player and he gets hurt and your stuck with what we had this year. An unnatural fit at QB. TM was such a dynamic runner and Beck's multiple system was built around TM, and it that isn't multiple. That is singular and it showed every game where TM was naturalized in the run game *almost* What could we have done differently? I dunno, don't really want to get into the would could, and should of.