Offense... run the dang diamond formation more

tmfr15

My thoughts exactly... then you will have people bring up the run/pass ratio, but that stat doesn't show the types of running plays he calls.

"Lets run Abdullah up the gut! Damn he didn't go anywhere. Maybe if we try that exact play/formation again, we will fool the defense. Shucks, it still didn't work. Now my favorite part... PASSSSSS!!!"

or my favorite thing about Beck (total sarcasm), is him making our QB's play in a position they are not strong at doing. IE Taylor being strictly a pocket passer (Minnesota game), and RKIII running a zone read option (Iowa game). I still chuckle and sometimes get embarrassed that we had to actually witness such a thing. How about we stop forcing our QB's to play your system, and base a system strictly off your QB? Then, recruit QB's who fit that same system???

can't +1 that enough

Thinking about Auburn's offensive success and watching them run the diamond formation. The announcers in the Auburn-Mizzou game were talking about how great that look was and how difficult it was to stop.

Why are we not using that more? Cross, Abdualla and Newby should have all been in on a ton of plays last year.

Am I crazy?

THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dead on!!! +1

They had the 19th best rushing offense in the nation, and a guy that ran for 1500+ yards behind a beat up offensive line...

I had visions of the chance of a couple guys rushing for 1000+ yards when the season started. But once again Beck managed to under utilize one of the strengths of this team...

They had the 19th best rushing offense in the nation, and a guy that ran for 1500+ yards behind a beat up offensive line...

I had visions of the chance of a couple guys rushing for 1000+ yards when the season started. But once again Beck managed to under utilize one of the strengths of this team...

The sad thing is, no matter who we had on the field for the OL, it seems we still had a good rushing attack. The only thing that lacked more and more, was the pass protection. Only game where I seen that we got straight manhandled, was the Iowa game.

We can all just be honest and admit that Iowa has a VERY physical, talented and experienced front 7. I knew that our OL would have issues with Iowa. Every team Iowa has faced has had issues. They had the toughest schedule in the B1G and ranked #7 in total defense. There comes a time when you have to give credit where credit is due.

• Fire 1

By "a couple of guys," do you mean more than two? Without a career-ending injury, Martinez and Ameer both rush for 1000+ yards. Did you really see Imani or Newby rushing for 1000 yards?

By "a couple of guys," do you mean more than two? Without a career-ending injury, Martinez and Ameer both rush for 1000+ yards. Did you really see Imani or Newby rushing for 1000 yards?

I guess I was hoping Abdullah and Cross...

Offensive coordinators should be of the mindset that the players will win or lose games, not his play calling. So call a game that showcases the players' strengths and doesn't expose their weaknesses.

Yes, I know that the offensive coordinator might see something in the secondary that could be exploited for a big gain if we use that one play we practiced twice this year and hasn't yet worked in practice...or we could line up our great running back and plow ahead three yards for the first down and not pressure a banged up offensive line and tiring defense. That means that the offensive coordinator wouldn't be able to showcase his genius analytical mind and playcalling ability, but that's okay. All touchdowns are worth six points, and even the boring ones are still pretty exciting when your team scores them.

Auburn ran nothing more than a modified option on us. They ran it pretty well in the first half, but we actually made an adjustment in the second half ( very odd indeed!) to slow them down in the second. The Barn had like 240 yds passing, with 73 coming on one play...their last offensive play. I do not know much about the diamond formation, but if it is designed around running your O with a lot of misdirection...read option type offense...then that might work....but I would put money on anything that CBP is wanting to pass thae ball, because our pass defense is.......absent.

Offensive coordinators should be of the mindset that the players will win or lose games, not his play calling. So call a game that showcases the players' strengths and doesn't expose their weaknesses.

Yes, I know that the offensive coordinator might see something in the secondary that could be exploited for a big gain if we use that one play we practiced twice this year and hasn't yet worked in practice...or we could line up our great running back and plow ahead three yards for the first down and not pressure a banged up offensive line and tiring defense. That means that the offensive coordinator wouldn't be able to showcase his genius analytical mind and playcalling ability, but that's okay. All touchdowns are worth six points, and even the boring ones are still pretty exciting when your team scores them.

You know a lot more about what goes on in practice every day than I would have guessed.

seems like during our limited plays in this formation we do a PA pass and one of the RBs out of the back field is open on the wheel or the TE is running down the middle of the field on a streak. I would definitely love to see more of this formation.

Not to nit-pick but I'm pretty sure there isn't a TE on the field when we run this. We have hit the WRs on streaks a couple times. The WRs pretty much run flys and the first RB run a wheel route. I don't remember anything else.

seems like during our limited plays in this formation we do a PA pass and one of the RBs out of the back field is open on the wheel or the TE is running down the middle of the field on a streak. I would definitely love to see more of this formation.

Not to nit-pick but I'm pretty sure there isn't a TE on the field when we run this. We have hit the WRs on streaks a couple times. The WRs pretty much run flys and the first RB run a wheel route. I don't remember anything else.

Yes my bad, you're right. Regardless, we should run this formation more often IMO.

RKIII running a zone read option (Iowa game). I still chuckle and sometimes get embarrassed that we had to actually witness such a thing. How about we stop forcing our QB's to play your system, and base a system strictly off your QB? Then, recruit QB's who fit that same system???

C'mon man RKIII is the best zone read QB in the nation, don't let his pudgy appearance fool you. On a serious note, why didn't we place RKIII under center with a full back and Ameer right behind him? The zone read based system only works if you have a successful mobile QB to run it, not no pudgy QB in RKIII who can't hurt you with his feet.

RKIII running a zone read option (Iowa game). I still chuckle and sometimes get embarrassed that we had to actually witness such a thing. How about we stop forcing our QB's to play your system, and base a system strictly off your QB? Then, recruit QB's who fit that same system???

C'mon man RKIII is the best zone read QB in the nation, don't let his pudgy appearance fool you. On a serious note, why didn't we place RKIII under center with a full back and Ameer right behind him? The zone read based system only works if you have a successful mobile QB to run it, not no pudgy QB in RKIII who can't hurt you with his feet.

But.. But... We can't stray from our offensive identity.............. Wait.....