**** What Did We Learn ****

After the Wisky game in the BIG10 Champ game last year and some other brutal games earlier this season Im just blown away by Georgia's 41 carries for 96 yards..Add Clinkscales, Keels and another year of S&C I really like the direction of this Defense...UP! GBR!

Georgia's O line looked weak...

My issue is with the type of pass play that was called. Armstrong has accuracy issues trying to throw from the pocket to the sidelines 10-15 yards downfield. A straight dropback pass in four-wide with those routes is a long way from his strengths. Give him a screen pass or some shallow crossing routes. Give him a run-pass option.

I thought the shovel pass was a great call. The pass at the 1-yard line was decent but nothing brilliant. It was the same pass we tried against PSU (PI call) and Georgia ran a very risky Cover 2 zone. Yet the latter resulted in the longest play in school history and the former resulted in an incomplete pass. Go figure.

I think Beck called an average game. And not because he didn't run enough. I just don't see the attacking creativity that I see with many other teams. Where are all the perfect situational calls that exploit the other teams strategy and leave a receiver wide open? I see it 5-10 times a game with lots of teams (often our opponents) but only a couple from Beck (the play-action to Carter was nice). Even the run calls are very predictable. It's not terrible and he managed the risk pretty well, but it's a long way from elite. And part of that is his lack of confidence in the passing skills of the QBs he's had to work with, so I can cut him some slack there.

I try not to argue about play-calling because obviously no one can prove their claims and almost no one is swayed by arguments one way or the other. And it seems that about 80% of people are already decided on all the coaches and use their conclusions as their starting point. Some endlessly stick up for the defense and blame the offense. Some do it the other way around. Some stick up for all the coaches no matter what. Others can't stand the coaches no matter what (even to the point of rooting against the team to get the coaches fired). If there is interesting conversation, it's usually between the 20% that are willing to evaluate things game to game and be swayed.

I think Beck is quite average but certainly not stupid or incompetent (same goes for Bo, actually). Hopefully he loosens up and improves next year. Maybe Stanton will be that confident passer that he needs to do it.

Sorry to single you out in this discussion but this is a perfect example of how various fans view things differently. This thread has turned mostly into a discussion of one play where some think Beck should just stick with what every expects to be called on a certain play. He shouldn't try to out think the other team. Just run the dang ball.

Meanwhile, some fans have the opinion like I bolded. He isn't creative enough. He doesn't exploit the defense. He doesn't run plays in situations where the defense isn't expecting what is called.

Meanwhile, I can think of at least four situations where he did just that. I'm sure there are more and if I would rematch the game I could come up with them.

99.9 yard pass

Cethan Carter pass

Shovel pass to Newby

3rd down pass play discussed in this thread

All of these plays were exploiting what the defense was doing and Beck recognized it and ran a play that either was successful or would have been successful if executed correctly by the players.

I have the opinion that coaches simply can not win. We win the game and many in the fan base still won't be happy and find ways to criticize.

Georgia coaches are idiots? I learned that.

Why not take the 3 points when you are in the red zone on fourth down with 5 min left?? I dont understand that at all. Then all of a sudden on the last drive ur wondering why you need a td?? Field goal there and you wouldve won the game.

i'd be furious if I was a georia fan.... idiots.

kicking a field goal there is horrifyingly bad. like really really bad. and probably 60% of coaches would still do it because they don't understand the probabilities and the analytics

????????????????????????

In the NFL maybe. Our offense did not deserve that credit. Flat out.

Really bad call eh? they wouldve won the freaking game! W. Win. Won. Doesnt sound like a "really really bad call" to me.

Seriously, this is not the NFL... If you dont want points with 5 minutes left in the dam game then what are you doing? You're basically telling your players that they are worthless and that Nebraska will score again despite any efforts to stop them... which is absolutely ridiculous (we didn't score again.) I don't agree with that.

Two chip shots and they are winners.

My issue is with the type of pass play that was called. Armstrong has accuracy issues trying to throw from the pocket to the sidelines 10-15 yards downfield. A straight dropback pass in four-wide with those routes is a long way from his strengths. Give him a screen pass or some shallow crossing routes. Give him a run-pass option.

I thought the shovel pass was a great call. The pass at the 1-yard line was decent but nothing brilliant. It was the same pass we tried against PSU (PI call) and Georgia ran a very risky Cover 2 zone. Yet the latter resulted in the longest play in school history and the former resulted in an incomplete pass. Go figure.

I think Beck called an average game. And not because he didn't run enough. I just don't see the attacking creativity that I see with many other teams. Where are all the perfect situational calls that exploit the other teams strategy and leave a receiver wide open? I see it 5-10 times a game with lots of teams (often our opponents) but only a couple from Beck (the play-action to Carter was nice). Even the run calls are very predictable. It's not terrible and he managed the risk pretty well, but it's a long way from elite. And part of that is his lack of confidence in the passing skills of the QBs he's had to work with, so I can cut him some slack there.

I try not to argue about play-calling because obviously no one can prove their claims and almost no one is swayed by arguments one way or the other. And it seems that about 80% of people are already decided on all the coaches and use their conclusions as their starting point. Some endlessly stick up for the defense and blame the offense. Some do it the other way around. Some stick up for all the coaches no matter what. Others can't stand the coaches no matter what (even to the point of rooting against the team to get the coaches fired). If there is interesting conversation, it's usually between the 20% that are willing to evaluate things game to game and be swayed.

I think Beck is quite average but certainly not stupid or incompetent (same goes for Bo, actually). Hopefully he loosens up and improves next year. Maybe Stanton will be that confident passer that he needs to do it.

Sorry to single you out in this discussion but this is a perfect example of how various fans view things differently. This thread has turned mostly into a discussion of one play where some think Beck should just stick with what every expects to be called on a certain play. He shouldn't try to out think the other team. Just run the dang ball.

Meanwhile, some fans have the opinion like I bolded. He isn't creative enough. He doesn't exploit the defense. He doesn't run plays in situations where the defense isn't expecting what is called.

Meanwhile, I can think of at least four situations where he did just that. I'm sure there are more and if I would rematch the game I could come up with them.

99.9 yard pass

Cethan Carter pass

Shovel pass to Newby

3rd down pass play discussed in this thread

All of these plays were exploiting what the defense was doing and Beck recognized it and ran a play that either was successful or would have been successful if executed correctly by the players.

I have the opinion that coaches simply can not win. We win the game and many in the fan base still won't be happy and find ways to criticize.

Don't forget Jamal's dropped TD.

1. Beck is allergic to the run game, especially when it matters most...

For the game, we threw 16 times and ran 43 times.

In the second half, we threw 7 times and ran 23 times.

In the fourth quarter, we threw 4 times and ran 13 times. We threw once in the last 10 minutes (on third down) - the other three were on 2nd or 3rd and 8+.

This was in a game we won by 5. Are people only going to be happy if we never pass?

Requoting this because it's important.

Beck had some great calls, no question. But passing on 3rd and 6 with 3:30 left instead of rushing to kill the clock even if you dont pickup the first proved he doesnt grasp the management role yet.

That was questionable, and it was 3rd and only 4 not 6. I don't understand how the ball is not in your best player's hands in that situation. Give it to Ameer and let him make a play. As my grandpa always said, you dance with the one that brought you.

4 yards is even more clear you call the run. Like I said, even if your short, you still killed a minute or more by the time they get the ball back.

Beck still seems oblivious to these:

1) Setting up one play to run another

2) Calling plays/tempo to better manage the clock

3) Calling plays that will help the D ie eat the clock to allow them to rest

4) Calling plays to the strength of the team

5) Great calls with wrong personnel ie shuffle pass to Newby. I know he was completely over looked by D, BUT it was his first play of the bowl with the game basically on the line

6) He is barely a jack of all trades and is a master of none. We need an identity IMO

7) The TE's can actually catch passes

Maybe because at this stage of the year you expect that your back can catch a simple pitch, and when he does, because it is a really good call, you have the back in there that has the speed to take it the distance, which was very possible the way that play opened up. You know, Ameer has dropped a ball or two this year also. Can't believe he's even catching flak for having Newby in there, that play may very well be designed with him in mind.

Beck can't win with some people. How many of you would have have been screaming bloody murder on the 99 yarder if it had not worked. Probably most.

The game was essentially on the line and your options are pass with a guy nobody feels comfy with doing so OR run with a guy who is. as dependable as you can get. Sure he couldve fumbled. Sure TA makes a better throw and it looks genius. But the gamble wasnt worth it in my book.

we will have to agree to disagree. but every play is a gamble. and the game was on the line, he called a pass, it failed, and we still won. so it is what it is. it really was not that risky given the upside and the fact that we still won despite failing to execute on that play.

A QB who is young but talented in itself is a gamnle. But forcing him to throw on that play was wrong. Clearly he wasnt comfortable since he missed open receivers completely. That wasnt a clutch play scenario and we needed the first to ice the game. I get it was a simple routine play but there was a certain amount of risk that weighed heavier than letting A double pound it for 4 yards.

Other than that I really have no complaints on the play calling. Solid effort from everyone.

I think you have a better chance with him throwing that ball then the shorter routes. His touch and accuracy aren't quite there yet. But let him cut one loose downfield, where you also have your big, physical receiver on the other end.

1. Beck is allergic to the run game, especially when it matters most...

For the game, we threw 16 times and ran 43 times.

In the second half, we threw 7 times and ran 23 times.

In the fourth quarter, we threw 4 times and ran 13 times. We threw once in the last 10 minutes (on third down) - the other three were on 2nd or 3rd and 8+.

This was in a game we won by 5. Are people only going to be happy if we never pass?

Yes... He does indeed Walkalone.

I was really impressed how our defense bended but did not break. I think our defensive scheme was to not allow the big play which then set up the shorter TE/RB passes for GA. What concerned me on defense was how we seemed to be scrambling to line up even after GA snapped the ball.

This team really loves this coaching staff. I'd really love this staff even more if they could turn around the punt return game. ESPN hardly masks their disdain for Pelini.

I think TA will be our starter in 2014, but I would like to see the younger guys really push him for the position. Without Martinez we really lacked that big play ability in my opinion.

He isn't creative enough.

Plenty of things to criticize (not so much with this game) but this should never be one of them.

Perhaps we're using the word a little differently. I think we need a Courbet and sometimes get a Pollock. The creativity needs a certain structure and just being unexpected isn't enough.