Will the Big 10 Go 1- 6? I Hope!

Auburn plays great offense and barely fields a defense. They rank 87th in total defense.

Yes and no....it just seems that way.

This Auburn defense is being criticized much like the 2010 Auburn defense...and in 2010 a highflying Oregon offense walked into an underrated Auburn defensive buzz-saw and scored 30 fewer points than average. I anticipate the same thing happening with FSU. This Auburn defense is about the same or slightly worse than in 2010 but this FSU offense is far more overrated than the 2010 Oregon offense considering they haven't played much of anyone.

The big improvement for Auburn lies in coaching...in 2010 Ted Roof was Auburn's DC...he's bounced to three other places since then. This year Auburn brought in the fourth highest payed DC in the country, Ellis Johnson...the man that took South Carolina from the 49th ranked defense in the country in 2007 down to the 8th ranked defense Nebraska saw in the 2012 Captial One bowl. Johnson is Malzahn's equivalent on defense and he can coach. Auburn's defense was depleted by injuries early in the year but he's built the "bend-but-don't-break-at-key-times" defense the Tigers have now. I think they'll do fine.

The Auburn - Florida State matchup seems eerily similar to the Auburn-Oregon game a few years ago:

Margin of Victory

-Auburn won six regular season games by one possession or less. Average win margin of 18.2 points.

-Oregon had only one close game (won by one possession or less). Average win margin of 30.9 points

-Auburn won six regular season games by one possession or less. Average win margin of 16.1 points.

-FSU had no close games. Average win margin of 42.3 points.

Defense and Offense rankings

-Auburn ranked 6th in offense (42.7ppg/497ypg) and 55th in defense (24.5ppg/362ypg)

-Oregon ranked 1st in offense (49.3ppg/537ypg) and 15th in defense (18.4ppg/331ypg)

-Auburn ranked 12th in offense (40.2ppg/505ypg) and 64th in defense (24ppg/423ypg)

-FSU ranked 2nd in offense (53.3ppg/529ypg) and 1st in defense (10.7ppg/268.5ypg)

Strength of Schedule

-Auburn ranked 13. Opponents had a combined win percentage of 0.574. Played 7 ranked opponents

-Oregon ranked 10. Opponents had a combined win percentage of 0.459. Played 7 ranked opponents

-Auburn ranked 20. Opponents had a combined win percentage of 0.602. Played 6 ranked opponents

-FSU ranked 63. Opponents had a combined win percentage of 0.483. Played 1 ranked opponent

The difference offensively may lie in Auburn lacking a Cam Newton though they make up for it with their #1 ranked rush attack. Florida State has the 18th ranked rushing defense in the country allowing roughly 116 yards per game. Alabama had the 9th ranked rushing defense, allowing 108 ypg and yet they let Auburn get almost 300 yards on the ground.

Anyhow I just don't like the "Auburn doesn't have a defense while FSU is amazing at everything" mentality being spouted so often now. I don't think that's really true. Sorry for the offtopic.

if you are msu, are you happy with your season or stewing over the nd loss (which they had no business losing)?

Hell yes you are happy. You're not satisfied but you are dang happy.

yeah, but that nd loss was pretty stupid. and with a stout 'd', you always have a puncher's chance. even against fsu.

Guz Malzahn is a clever, borderline genius. I'm puttin money on Auburn, and I have a feeling it wont be close.

With that said, I think Michigan St is the hottest team in college football right now. If we had a 10+ team playoff like the NFL, they would be the favorites at this point. I cant believe I was laughing at them in September, claiming they wouldnt win 6 games with that offense. But they got better, and d******d Dantonio served me up some more crow tonight.

Guz Malzahn is a clever, borderline genius. I'm puttin money on Auburn, and I have a feeling it wont be close.

With that said, I think Michigan St is the hottest team in college football right now. If we had a 10+ team playoff like the NFL, they would be the favorites at this point. I cant believe I was laughing at them in September, claiming they wouldnt win 6 games with that offense. But they got better, and d******d Dantonio served me up some more crow tonight.

not unreasonable, they lost to a joke of a nd team. and i agree with everything else you posted.

Dantonio has to be one of the best if not the best coach in the Big Ten right now...and we don't have to worry about him pulling a Bielema because he doesn't have an agent or a brand new sucubus wife.

• Fire 1

not unreasonable, they lost to a joke of a nd team. and i agree with everything else you posted.

Also, and this is sadly in agreement with Cowherd yesterday (i know LOL), but I bet ole Guss ends up being the one to run Saban out of Bama, out of the SEC, and maybe out of football altogether. Cowherd made an awesome point. Pete Carroll was run off by Chip Kelly. Mack Brown was run off by Gundy and Briles. Urban Meyer was run out by Saban. And now it's Saban's turn with Malzahn.

Also, and this is sadly in agreement with Cowherd yesterday (i know LOL), but I bet ole Guss ends up being the one to run Saban out of Bama, out of the SEC, and maybe out of football altogether. Cowherd made an awesome point. Pete Carroll was run off by Chip Kelly. Mack Brown was run off by Gundy and Briles. Urban Meyer was run out by Saban. And now it's Saban's turn with Malzahn.

it is crazy what auburn has been able to do when they are supposed to be the little bros. to 'bama. there seems to be a bit of a shift of power in the sec and parity around ncaaf is catching up overall.

if you are msu, are you happy with your season or stewing over the nd loss (which they had no business losing)?

Hell yes you are happy. You're not satisfied but you are dang happy.

yeah, but that nd loss was pretty stupid. and with a stout 'd', you always have a puncher's chance. even against fsu.

There are actually some fan bases that aren't like Nebraska. Some people can actually sit back and enjoy a certain level of success while realizing if the ball bounced a little differently they could have had even better success.

Nebraska fans, on the other hand, will sit and stew about a bad game while not enjoying the other good things going on.

it is crazy what auburn has been able to do when they are supposed to be the little bros. to 'bama. there seems to be a bit of a shift of power in the sec and parity around ncaaf is catching up overall.

Parity is incredible right now. Michigan St was 7-6 last year. I cant wait till we win a conference title, play in a BCS bowl (maybe even for a national title) or make the playoffs etc, and then go 9-4, 8-5, or even 7-6 the next year. The meltdown here will be crazy. And I've come to embrace those as solid fun.

Probably the strongest "little brothers" in college football but I'm not sure that their recent success is really indicative or any power shift in the SEC or parity or whatever because Auburn has always been pretty good...13th most wins in college football, 15th "winningest" team...compared to 7th and 6th for Bama. They also have two more Heismans and more All-Americans than Bama. If anything Bama's recent dominance shows a shift in power...for much of the modern SEC era Auburn was the better team.

Probably the strongest "little brothers" in college football but I'm not sure that their recent success is really indicative or any power shift in the SEC or parity or whatever because Auburn has always been pretty good...13th most wins in college football, 15th "winningest" team...compared to 7th and 6th for Bama. They also have two more Heismans and more All-Americans than Bama. If anything Bama's recent dominance shows a shift in power...for much of the modern SEC era Auburn was the better team.

everyone talks about what a dynasty 'bama is creating, but auburn is one win away from being one championship behind them during their dynasty. that was my point. i was pretty limited in the scope i was referencing.

agreed. Outside the NC run in '92, and until the Saban era, Bama has been consistently mediocre to even irrelevant over the past 30 years or so.

agreed. Outside the NC run in '92, and until the Saban era, Bama has been consistently mediocre to even irrelevant over the past 30 years or so.

So outside of 4 National Championships they have been irrelevant in that time span? The same time span NU has 3? The last 20 seasons they have won 20% of the National Championships. I don't think that is close to mediocre and not even in the same galaxy as irrelevant.

Interesting Side note:

Since 1992 The following teams have won National Championships:

Alabama----4

Nebraska---3

Florida------3

Florida St---2

LSU---------2

USC--------2*

Oklahoma--1

Tennessee-1

Miami-------1

Auburn-----1

Texas-------1

Ohio State-1

Michigan---1**

*AP in 2003, 2004 vacated

**AP in 1997

Just find it interesting that just 4 teams have over half of the National Championships since 1992. That is dominance, 12 of the last 21. Could easily be 13 of the last 22 from 4 teams after Monday.

Dantonio has to be one of the best if not the best coach in the Big Ten right now...and we don't have to worry about him pulling a Bielema because he doesn't have an agent or a brand new sucubus wife.

+1

Cartoon-Character-Mutley-Laughing.gif

So outside of 4 National Championships they have been irrelevant in that time span? The same time span NU has 3? The last 20 seasons they have won nearly 25% of the National Championships. I don't think that is close to mediocre and not even in the same galaxy as irrelevant.

Interesting Side note:

Since 1992 The following teams have won National Championships:

Alabama----4

Nebraska---3

Florida------3

Florida St---2

LSU---------2

USC--------2*

Oklahoma--1

Tennessee-1

Miami-------1

Auburn-----1

Texas-------1

Ohio State-1

Michigan---1**

*AP in 2003, 2004 vacated

**AP in 1997

Just find it interesting that 4 teams have 75% of the National Championships since 1992. That is dominance, 15 of the last 21. Could easily be 16 of the last 22 from 4 teams after Monday.

I'm very interested in the "new math" that you seem to be using in this post.