Good article on S&C

That's a good article in the NYT and highlights the benefits of an extraordinary S&C program.

On that same note, S&C might be Georgia's biggest weakness.

The point is this: something's fishy here and if I were a betting man I'd put money on it that UGA's S&C program bench presses and curls too much, doesn't train sport specifically enough, lacks any sort of mobility screening (FMS maybe?), is dominantly sagittal-planed, programs exercises out of order and in the improper energy systems, and lacks any sort of oversight into auditing the programming.

http://www.reddit.co..._bad_luck_from/

I would bet Nebraska has a lot of those aspects incorporated already. Powerlifting will always have its place, but stability/mobility work is such a big piece now.

This is correct but from what I've seen Nebraska hasn't exactly held up its standards of being a groundbreaker in this dept. They're capable of so much more.

People keep talking about innovation in this field. But seriously, there's only so many things you can come up with in the field of strength and conditioning. There's only so much that can be done to train a body. The big focus now is on efficient use of time in the weight room and such with the electronics and so on. But things simply dont stay secret as long anymore. No, these should not be used as a cop out, but it's still reiterates that S&C is just low hanging fruit in a year like this. As Knapp said, S&C is the new Taylor Martinez.

• Fire 1

I was trying to find the story about the (fairly) new computerized program we are using. Not sure if it is the first of it's kind but it's pretty front of the pack.

It is. I was kinda hinting at that. But also, how long will it remain "exclusive". If not exactly the same thing, variations of it, will be popping up everywhere. Probably as we speak.

I was trying to find the story about the (fairly) new computerized program we are using. Not sure if it is the first of it's kind but it's pretty front of the pack.

It is. I was kinda hinting at that. But also, how long will it remain "exclusive". If not exactly the same thing, variations of it, will be popping up everywhere. Probably as we speak.

I agree with your previous statement that there just aren't a lot of advancements to be made. You can tweak, emphasize and streamline but I don't know that there are wholesale changes to be made.

People keep talking about innovation in this field. But seriously, there's only so many things you can come up with in the field of strength and conditioning. There's only so much that can be done to train a body. The big focus now is on efficient use of time in the weight room and such with the electronics and so on. But things simply dont stay secret as long anymore. No, these should not be used as a cop out, but it's still reiterates that S&C is just low hanging fruit in a year like this. As Knapp said, S&C is the new Taylor Martinez.

Not true. With new technology we are only beginning to truly understand how to train an athlete's body. We will have major breakthroughs in this field in the next 5-10 years that will completely change training and performance on so many levels.

Not true. With new technology we are only beginning to truly understand how to train an athlete's body. We will have major breakthroughs in this field in the next 5-10 years that will completely change training and performance on so many levels.

agree, the only thing that is static is a closed mind.

• Fire 1

i think the speed training program Oregon is using is helping them quite a bit.

Ya, thanks Nike Track and Field. There is a reason Nike athletes are dropping their times on the track to levels we haven't seen before in record number. Some of the things they are doing with movement specific training and use of blood oxygen research are amazing.

Tour the Olympic Training Facility in Colorado if you want to see something really ground-breaking in this field. It is close to Nebraska, and worth the trip.