Good article on S&C

You can already tell by watching the video that the young-guns that have only been in the program for a year or two......have already gained some considerable muscle. It's the speed and quickness factors that are hard to measure and determine....esp. by only watching a winter-conditioning video. I would bet these guys are getting faster....NEB just ran into a bad stroke of injuries in 2013. However, it still does make me scratch my head just a bit when guys tap out after 3 or 4 plays......yet, Dobson didn't win S&C coach awards for nothing....

You can already tell by watching the video that the young-guns that have only been in the program for a year or two......have already gained some considerable muscle. It's the speed and quickness factors that are hard to measure and determine....esp. by only watching a winter-conditioning video. I would bet these guys are getting faster....NEB just ran into a bad stroke of injuries in 2013. However, it still does make me scratch my head just a bit when guys tap out after 3 or 4 plays......yet, Dobson didn't win S&C coach awards for nothing....

I guess I am not sure why the tap out thing bothers so many guys. Watch the NFL and you will see RB do it all the time. Back in TO's day he ran plays into the game with WR, so they rotated a lot and got a blow basically every other play in a lot of cases.

I guess I am not sure why the tap out thing bothers so many guys. Watch the NFL and you will see RB do it all the time. Back in TO's day he ran plays into the game with WR, so they rotated a lot and got a blow basically every other play in a lot of cases.

I've actually paid a lot more attention to tapping out now, and even the best players in the league will sit out in the red zone if they need a blow.

Yeah, I understand ( to an extent) the whole "power/explosiveness" principle(s). With that type of training comes short duration movements that pertain to high velocity/power/quickness. So I guess I am sorta answering my own question with football not being an endurance sport and being more anaerobic, hence the training for the sport should be more anaerobic in nature along with the substitutions. The guys that are performing more work over time would be the lineman, especially NEB's offensive lineman in this case. I guess the more I look at the "tapping out" issue, the more I begin to understand it's necessity to the football players.

RE: guys tapping out - it's a non-issue. It's not that we're more tired or worn than anyone else. Our players have been coached to be unselfish and smart. Ameer or anybody else is going to be less effective on play four if he's gone 100% on the last three plays, compared to someone else at full stamina on the sideline.

RE: being ahead of the curve and innovative. Strength and conditioning isn't like X's and O's. Those change over time, and are countered. There is no 'holy grail' of scheme enlightenment, there is only preferences and schemes that you adopt or dismiss, and the opposing team's that you prepare against. S&C is different - there is a pinnacle that can be reached. Hypothetically, humankind can exhaust all of our knowledge of strength and conditioning and there won't be anything left to learn. No, we're nowhere near there yet, but it's generally become a level playing field, so to expect Nebraska to be groundbreaking in that area is unrealistic. If there are groundbreaking developments to be made or found in that area of training, they aren't going to come out of a college football program.

Wow you can tell that Vincent Valentine is taking this offseason seriously. He has definitely re-distributed some weight since the end of year already. You can tell alot of guys are working hard.

Who is the white kid with shaggy hair at about the 43 second mark? He looks like a beast. Is that Janovich?

Imani working out with Janovich? Has he been moved to fullback? Scandalous :snacks:

I've wondered about the tap outs too, but ever more concerning is watching guys get blown off the ball.

I've wondered about the tap outs too, but ever more concerning is watching guys get blown off the ball.

Which happened when last year? Show me one player other than Randal that was consistently blown off the ball. Thad really wasn't even bad I'm just 90% sure that's who you're going to use. He improved through the season and held his own on the overwhelming majority of plays throughout.

Which happened when last year? Show me one player other than Randal that was consistently blown off the ball. Thad really wasn't even bad I'm just 90% sure that's who you're going to use. He improved through the season and held his own on the overwhelming majority of plays throughout.

Last year wasn't as bad, but go check the MN game. We've also had OLs that have gotten blown up, not sure if that's missed assignments, but it doesn't seem right.