Armstrong and the long ball

Tommy Armstrong has a committed love affair with bomb passes.

Only thing is, a lot of the time his receivers didn't get the message and aren't within 20 yards.

Is his love affair with the long ball a good thing or bad?

I feel like if he and the WR get their timing down over spring/summer we could have a very dangerous downfield passing game. Stretching the field like that could really help our running game as horizontal passing still keeps defenders in the box and doesn't back corners off of the LOS. Bell and Turner are fast as hell so if this could be a weapon all this ridiculous Beck is an idiot stuff will stop pretty early next season.

Only thing is, a lot of the time his receivers didn't get the message and aren't within 20 yards.

I don't know - to my untrained eye, it seems like he wants to play video game football. At least two times per game he'll just chuck one, for the sake of wanting to chuck it without much thought. I know at least 5 times he has thrown a pass further than 30 yards and the receiver would run a hook pattern or something short and he'd be throwing to nobody.

If I recall correctly from Jammal Lord's days, he threw a decent deep ball and hit some long bombs to Isaiah Fluellen and Mark LeFlore. Those were exciting to watch, but Lord's short passes were still spotty.

I hope Armstrong refines his passing touch, but his build and athletism remind me a lot of Jammal Lord as well. If Lord had better talent around him, I think he would have been remembered more fondly as a QB for Nebraska and we would have won a lot more games. If Armstrong can show similar physical capabilities and continue to improve his passing skills, with the talent NU has now, it will be very exciting to see.

Just for informational purposes, Tommy Armstrong doesn't call the plays.

The guy can throw every pass required of a QB. It's someone else's infatuation with 30+ yard passes that makes us look so singular.

He doesn't call the play, but he chooses which receiver route of several to throw to. Or, sometimes, he doesn't choose any of the receiver routes, he just chooses to throw the ball really far into the sky.

I've been impressed with Armstrong's passing overall. He needs more experience and a better understanding of defenses and coverages, which he has said, but if he puts in the time the future with him is bright. We really need him to be a passing threat, because he's not going to run many to the house like Martinez did- he's just not fast enough. But if he improves his passing and continues to run those options well, he'll win us plenty of games.

Just for informational purposes, Tommy Armstrong doesn't call the plays.

The guy can throw every pass required of a QB. It's someone else's infatuation with 30+ yard passes that makes us look so singular.

Come on, True. You know damn well there are several routes on a pass play and the QB chooses who to throw to. Now he does have a progression to go through, and if he is always picking the first read then it could be on the play caller but I did not see that yesterday.

I feel like if he and the WR get their timing down over spring/summer we could have a very dangerous downfield passing game. Stretching the field like that could really help our running game as horizontal passing still keeps defenders in the box and doesn't back corners off of the LOS. Bell and Turner are fast as hell so if this could be a weapon all this ridiculous Beck is an idiot stuff will stop pretty early next season.

And the scary thing is they are possibly not even the fastest WR's....Alonzo Moore can't get out and fly.