Mexico legalizes Vigilantes

In other news Mexico decides to legalize vigilantes: https://news.yahoo.com/mexico-legalizes-vigilantes-nabs-cartel-leader-001339749.html

Part of me thinks this might not actually be that bad of an idea and could greatly reduce the amount of crime in Mexico. The other part of me thinks it's a terrible idea to give citizens that sort of power.

The article talks about oversight from the Mexican government to have some control over the vigilantes but how much oversight will there actually be? - Despite laws in place for Mexican government oversight in other matters, it doesn't seem like there is much. I'll use the police force as one example where, IMO, it doesn't seem like the government has much control over the corruption. What do you guys think about this whole situation? Will this work, or has Mexico made a huge mistake?

Every time I hear something like this out of Mexico, it makes me think of my girlfriend's students. She has a lot of kids who were born in Mexico or their parents were born in Mexico. The kids have no idea what's going on down there and just think that Mexico is the greatest place on Earth. They have no clue how lucky they are to be in America.

Best-case scenario - the vigilantes help clean up the drug cartels and the country becomes safer.

Worst-case scenario - the vigilantes and drug gangs basically have an ongoing civil war, Bosnia-Herzigovina/Kosovo style

Worst-case scenario 2.0 - the vigilantes eliminate the drug cartels and decide, after that's done, that they don't want to give up their guns or local power and you have a warlord situation like Liberia or Uganda

Best-case scenario - the vigilantes help clean up the drug cartels and the country becomes safer.

Worst-case scenario - the vigilantes and drug gangs basically have an ongoing civil war, Bosnia-Herzigovina/Kosovo style

Worst-case scenario 2.0 - the vigilantes eliminate the drug cartels and decide, after that's done, that they don't want to give up their guns or local power and you have a warlord situation like Liberia or Uganda

Worse case scenario 3.0 Drug cartels pay off the vigilantes and use them for defense against other vigilantes and back to square one.

• Fire 1

What's weird is the vigilantes might actually be less inept (more ept?) than the regular police force. At least for a while. But my guess is, if the cartels can corrupt the Mexican police, they can corrupt the legitimized-but-probably-not-paid-a-salary vigilante force. I'll have to ask my friend about this, she lives in a pretty crappy part of Mexico doing missionary work.

Every time I hear something like this out of Mexico, it makes me think of my girlfriend's students. She has a lot of kids who were born in Mexico or their parents were born in Mexico. The kids have no idea what's going on down there and just think that Mexico is the greatest place on Earth. They have no clue how lucky they are to be in America.

You lost me at "my girlfriend" :)

You lost me at "my girlfriend" :)

Funny guy!