Spring Practice Dumpster Fire

Mavric

You really want to open that can of worms? How many turnovers did Taylor have as a freshman, sophomore, junior? Huh? I'm scared of what kind of decision maker he was if Tommy made "a lot". Taylor made a f#*k ton then. But, wait, Taylor was fast and he turned games around - Oh really? Taylor's frosh yr was a 70 QB rating, then it was 60 as a soph, then 70 again as a jr then 45 as a sr. Tommy Armstrong pretty much just had a similar year to T-Magic as a soph, but he was a frosh. Oh and not to mention, Taylor knew he was the #1 guy and it was his team. Tommy didn't know until after the season started.

And the next QB being either Armstrong or Stanton, whoever wins the job, will at least win a conference championship.

So much wrong in one post.

Martinez QB Rating:

2010: 138.8

2011: 126.5 - Coincided with the move to the B1G and still recovering from his injury

2012: 141.6

2013: 140.0

TA was 124.3

Interceptions:

2010: 7 on 196 attempts

2011: 8 on 288 attempts

2012: 12 on 368 attempts

2013: 2 on 110 attempts

TA had 8 INTs on 131 attempts.

Completion percentage:

2010: 59.2

2011: 56.2

2012: 62.0

2013: 62.7

TA had a 52% completion percentage

Taylor was a special player, if he had a decent defense backing him up we easily win the 2012 CCG, and would have had a chance to play for a natty (it was defensive failures that cost us games over the past 4 years and not the offense unless we are talking about games Taylor didn't play in like the loss to Iowa and Mich St).

If Armstrong wins anything it will be because of the much improved defense.

Edited to add completion percentage, I knew I forgot something.

Edited by MO_Husker_Fan
  • Fire 5

And you're just building straw man arguments and being an idiot. Don't be an idiot.

That's rich for someone who can't figure out that the offensive production was better with a severely injured Taylor, and that the reason we had a better record with Tommy was

because the defense went from being one of the worst in school history early in the season to fairly decent as the season wore on.

If you're looking purely at points production (goddamn I love alliterations), you may want to factor in the quality of opponents. Tommy, did fine this year, and got more in game experience than an incoming Nebraska qb has gotten since maybe 1998.

Its seems some have forgotten that teams win/lose games. Not one player.

Taking into account the injuries we endured on offense and the youth movement on D...i'd say we had a damn good year.

We built depth, gained experience and confidence.

I for one love the experimenting on the offensive side of the ball and cant wait to see all our playmakers at the skilled positions ball out.

Equally excited about the defensive growth and athleticism we will see this year.

GBR

And you're just building straw man arguments and being an idiot. Don't be an idiot.

That's rich for someone who can't figure out that the offensive production was better with a severely injured Taylor, and that the reason we had a better record with Tommy was

because the defense went from being one of the worst in school history early in the season to fairly decent as the season wore on.

If you're looking purely at points production (goddamn I love alliterations), you may want to factor in the quality of opponents. Tommy, did fine this year, and got more in game experience than an incoming Nebraska qb has gotten since maybe 1998.

Tommy played against: Southern Miss, S Dakota St (as starter), Illinois (as starter), Purdue (as starter), Northwestern (as starter), Michigan (as starter), Michigan State (as starter), Penn St (as starter), and Georgia (as starter).

Please tell me how quality of opponents (there are only 2 real quality opponents on this list, Mich St and Georgia) helps the Tommy > Taylor crowd?

Tommy played against: Southern Miss, S Dakota St (as starter), Illinois (as starter), Purdue (as starter), Northwestern (as starter), Michigan (as starter), Michigan State (as starter), Penn St (as starter), and Georgia (as starter).

Please tell me how quality of opponents (there are only 2 real quality opponents on this list, Mich St and Georgia) helps the Tommy > Taylor crowd?

Because the offense looked better in all of those games than against UCLA (2nd half), Minnesota and Wyoming.

Make no mistake, Tommy has a cannon.

I kind of disagree with this actually. At least compared to Taylor.

He can throw the ball far and long, but his short/medium passes don't travel on that frozen rope that you hope for.

They can have a ton of zip on em' if Tommy wants them to. Tommy just knows that a lot of times those short passes more times than not need to have what's called "touch" on them. I know "touch" on a pass is not something Nebraska fans are used to seeing, so I understand when people don't grasp the difference between the ability to throw a frozen rope, versus the necessity of doing so.

• Fire 1

You really want to open that can of worms? How many turnovers did Taylor have as a freshman, sophomore, junior? Huh? I'm scared of what kind of decision maker he was if Tommy made "a lot". Taylor made a f#*k ton then. But, wait, Taylor was fast and he turned games around - Oh really? Taylor's frosh yr was a 70 QB rating, then it was 60 as a soph, then 70 again as a jr then 45 as a sr. Tommy Armstrong pretty much just had a similar year to T-Magic as a soph, but he was a frosh. Oh and not to mention, Taylor knew he was the #1 guy and it was his team. Tommy didn't know until after the season started.

And the next QB being either Armstrong or Stanton, whoever wins the job, will at least win a conference championship.

So much wrong in one post.

Martinez QB Rating:

2010: 138.8

2011: 126.5 - Coincided with the move to the B1G and still recovering from his injury

2012: 141.6

2013: 140.0

TA was 124.3

Interceptions:

2010: 7 on 196 attempts

2011: 8 on 288 attempts

2012: 12 on 368 attempts

2013: 2 on 110 attempts

TA had 8 INTs on 131 attempts.

Completion percentage:

2010: 59.2

2011: 56.2

2012: 62.0

2013: 62.7

TA had a 52% completion percentage

Taylor was a special player, if he had a decent defense backing him up we easily win the 2012 CCG, and would have had a chance to play for a natty (it was defensive failures that cost us games over the past 4 years and not the offense unless we are talking about games Taylor didn't play in like the loss to Iowa and Mich St).

If Armstrong wins anything it will be because of the much improved defense.

Edited to add completion percentage, I knew I forgot something.

I didn't even read any of that because I was using QBR, not rating. I think that's pretty evident if you look further than what you want to see.

Furthermore, why don't you try posting Taylor's total fumbles as well? And how many drives that f'd up? Might've not been a turnover, but it certainly f'd us numerous times.

You don't find it odd how much support Tommy got from the team as opposed to Taylor?

I didn't say Taylor was bad nor did I say Tommy was better, I just said we will win more games WITH WHOEVER THE NEXT QB is - because team chemistry is pretty damn important and so is leadership.

Oh and there is a fun story about Taylor overriding too many plays and getting us into worse positions.

• Fire 3

You know, tighter windows and defensive traffic vs space

Difference between throwing a rocket and putting heat on the ball. Taylor tended to throw rockets (and I believe Jamal Turner) was the one who, as a freshman, spoke the truth about difficult it was to catch a ball from Taylor. I believe other WRs also spoke out about how he needs to have better control of his velocity.

• Fire 1

Just based off of the HS film of the three QBs, I'd give Ryker the edge in arm strength throwing the football. He has a cannon. And throws an accurate deep ball. I said it in another thread, if everyone is given a fair shake, I believe Ryker will have a say so about the starting QB job before it's all said and done.

I have no problem with a walk on being the guy if he is truly the best, but I doubt he gets a fair shake at all. He will probably be listed as 5th string behind Armstrong/Stanton, Turner, Darlington.