Offensive Identity....

It's frustrating for me because we have so many weapons.

And if we use them all, we become "multiple" and end up pissing folks off, too.

This is one of my least liked threads because all the fretting about offensive identity would go away if we quit fumbling, shored up the defense and won a few more games.

Tim Beck is not the problem.

• Fire 1

Guys defending the offense against us "lack of identity" folks with numbers on rushing, stats on yards, and ranking on rushing offense, please, realize that it's how often we run, but it's how we get there. How we run. The whole offense is just one big jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none, fly by night magic show, where you see the guy climbing out of the box and the hidden handcuff keys.

• Fire 1

I really think the offense takes the next step next year. Having TA at QB is going to help a lot.

I am a Tommy Armstrong fan, however, I hear Stanton is the real deal. Tim Tebow, but faster and can pass.

Spring and fall QB battle will be very interesting.

Still think Armstrong right now isn't near as good as a healthy TMart IMHO.

I really think the offense takes the next step next year. Having TA at QB is going to help a lot.

I am a Tommy Armstrong fan, however, I hear Stanton is the real deal. Tim Tebow, but faster and can pass.

Spring and fall QB battle will be very interesting.

Still think Armstrong right now isn't near as good as a healthy TMart IMHO.

Agreed. The only difficult thing is that a lot of people question when the last time TMart truly was 100% Perhaps to begin the year, but, many speculate something lingered even after his Freshman year to an extent.

Armstrong certainly has the upper hand at this point, specifically from real, game time experience. But, the thing that I really want to see separate the starter from the back up this year is who takes better care of the ball while making big plays. TMart definitely had his fair share of big plays, but he also coughed the ball up way too much. I'll sacrifice a little explosive, playmaking ability, if it means we won't turn the ball over as much from the QB position.

FB, TE, play action.

At certain points in a tight game, early on, I'd love to see a real quick change of tempo for a series or two; but that would have to be done by a master play caller who has a real good feel for the game and trusts his plan.

Tempo is under rated, and used way too much in today's CFB world IMO, especially for us who does have the all too often 3&Out.

Pound the ball, use the FB and TE on flats and crosses. Playaction over the top, then a couple quick strike series to keep em guessing.

Overall, I think we are balanced and effective, but sh#t, for 30 yrs or so we were so spoiled we all knew what was coming and it generally worked. Now, I'm not sure it's "identity" per se, but we sure dont seem to hang our hat on any particular strategy.

But basically, turnovers kill us. period.

The stats tell most the story but not all ofnit. Against Wisconsin 2011. It was the same pass play three times in a row until it inevitably got picked, several times. We never changed the type of play to something that would throw them off. Run ornpass it doesnt matter if the defense expects it. Beck seems stubborn in that regard.

You are annoyed by things that didn't happen. In the Wisconsin game

http://www.huskermax...amestats11.html

only ONCE did we pass 3 or more times in a row, and that was toward the end of the first half. The string did, in fact, end in an interception, but considering that the pass was picked off 20 yards downfield and the completed pass two plays before was for 4 yards, they weren't the same play.

Guys defending the offense against us "lack of identity" folks with numbers on rushing, stats on yards, and ranking on rushing offense, please, realize that it's how often we run, but it's how we get there. How we run. The whole offense is just one big jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none, fly by night magic show, where you see the guy climbing out of the box and the hidden handcuff keys.

I honestly don't get the jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none thing, either. I see the Huskers running the ball. I see the Huskers passing the ball. I see a few different sets, but nothing near as complicated as the Tom Osborne triple-option that we tend to remember as simple or singular when it really wasn't.

I also see that an offense built around a healthy Taylor Martinez, an injured Taylor Martinez, an untested freshman Tommy Armstrong and a not very mobile Ron Kellogg would have trouble finding consistency. Yet we've managed to be pretty consistent with a power running game and a generally high-percentage passing game, with the occasional long bomb that -- when completed -- is one of the most fun plays in all of football.

When you have a running back who consistently gains 130 yards a game against all comers, you are the master of a featured running game.

We have a nice balance right now, and execution and ball control hangs on the health and maturity of our QB, as it does with most offenses.

Whenever this subject comes up, I gotta ask is: who out there has an "offensive identity" that fits your bill?

• Fire 1

When you have a running back who consistently gains 130 yards a game against all comers, you are the master of a featured running game.

:yeah

We've been #9, #15, #8 and #19 in the country in rushing the last four years. When you only include BCS teams, we would be #4, #7, #3 and #11. Our identity is we run the ball early and often.

I honestly don't get the jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none thing, either. I see the Huskers running the ball. I see the Huskers passing the ball. I see a few different sets, but nothing near as complicated as the Tom Osborne triple-option that we tend to remember as simple or singular when it really wasn't.

I also see that an offense built around a healthy Taylor Martinez, an injured Taylor Martinez, an untested freshman Tommy Armstrong and a not very mobile Ron Kellogg would have trouble finding consistency. Yet we've managed to be pretty consistent with a power running game and a generally high-percentage passing game, with the occasional long bomb that -- when completed -- is one of the most fun plays in all of football.

We have a nice balance right now, and execution and ball control hangs on the health and maturity of our QB, as it does with most offenses.

Whenever this subject comes up, I gotta ask is: who out there has an "offensive identity" that fits your bill?

We've been #9, #15, #8 and #19 in the country in rushing the last four years. When you only include BCS teams, we would be #4, #7, #3 and #11. Our identity is we run the ball early and often.

Honestly it's hard to argue with this. It all makes sense, and the numbers are not only legit, they are impressive. I don't want to bash the offense too badly because honestly I think next year might be pretty awesome to watch barring any injury setbacks.

The side I can see of the people who want more from our offense is some of the plays we run are just silly, and some of the things we don't do are the most basic and highest percentage plays out there. Beck could make things a bit easier on our young QB's. The play calling could be better. I would like to see some long drives put together. Stop seeing so many third and long situations.

I don't know....like I said, the numbers are there and I honestly think the offense might be on the way up. I believe this simply because I think we finally have a QB that is ready to step in and lead. Audibling to the right plays, reading the defense properly will be key, and I think TA will be the guy to show us what we may have been missing in that aspect. Should be fun to watch next year.

I would like to see some long drives put together. Stop seeing so many third and long situations.

Me too. Who wouldn't?

But if you look back at our stalled drives, you won't see many silly plays. Mostly you'll see bread and butter plays that the defense anticipated.

And we did have some nice long drives this season. Even against the #1 defense in the nation.

I kinda agree with you on the terminology. "identity" is kind of a weird term, and I honestly dont really know how to describe what we're lacking. But the fact remains, we do a bunch of things well, and do nothing great. Yes, that's right. Nothing great. There isnt one facet of our offense that we can lean on and know we're gonna at least gonna have that aspect. The great teams have that. Not to mention, it's pretty obvious over Bo's tenure thus far, that we DO spend more time on multiplicity this and spreading the ball that that we've neglected the simple basics of sound fundemental football. And one could say that about both sides of the ball.

Building an offense around one guy may be fine and all as well-as long as that guy is in the game. Pretty sure that concept got blown to hell this past season.

The stats tell most the story but not all ofnit. Against Wisconsin 2011. It was the same pass play three times in a row until it inevitably got picked, several times. We never changed the type of play to something that would throw them off. Run ornpass it doesnt matter if the defense expects it. Beck seems stubborn in that regard.

You are annoyed by things that didn't happen. In the Wisconsin game

http://www.huskermax...amestats11.html

only ONCE did we pass 3 or more times in a row, and that was toward the end of the first half. The string did, in fact, end in an interception, but considering that the pass was picked off 20 yards downfield and the completed pass two plays before was for 4 yards, they weren't the same play.

Im annoyed because when it was clearly a flat tire we rode on the rim instead of putting on a spare.