ESPN Top 5 B1G Student Sections

Mavric

You know how to get students to the games? Give away free stuff every game. A shirt one game, some shorts another, food another, headbands one, gloves one, etc. Yes, it will cost the University some money but it will cause excitement and get kids to the game. Well, maybe anyway. Just a thought. Hell, it might not make any difference whatsoever.

Trouble is they're already doing this.

We really haven't gotten anything at football games other then a towel in the last couple years if I'm not mistaken. I'm not complaining since I don't think we should have to get free stuff to show up just wondering if I forgot anything?

You know how to get students to the games? Give away free stuff every game. A shirt one game, some shorts another, food another, headbands one, gloves one, etc. Yes, it will cost the University some money but it will cause excitement and get kids to the game. Well, maybe anyway. Just a thought. Hell, it might not make any difference whatsoever.

We really haven't gotten anything at football games other then a towel in the last couple years if I'm not mistaken. I'm not complaining since I don't think we should have to get free stuff to show up just wondering if I forgot anything?

Two seasons ago they handed out tons of free sunglasses, as well as the Iron N towels and the 50 years of sellouts towels. They had some more towels this year for the MSU game and I know they had dozens of huge boxes of donuts for the early risers for the UCLA game.

Room for improvement but those things don't have that huge of an impact - especially if the student section stays where it is and the people above row 70 in south get nothing

Just a guess, but if there is a student that isn't planning on using their ticket and going to the game, but all the sudden they decide they're going to go because they can get a free T-shirt out of it...well...screw them. They're not much of a fan anyway and would probably do little else than text or complain about everything.

How do student tickets work at NU? At ND every student has the option to buy a season packet and most do. (There wasn't very much red in the student section in your favorite meme). Once in the student sections are basically GA free for all.

And city police have been hustling students for citation $ everywhere. Those stories sound pretty mild compared to what the Indiana Excise police does on football Saturdays.

How do student tickets work at NU? At ND every student has the option to buy a season packet and most do. (There wasn't very much red in the student section in your favorite meme). Once in the student sections are basically GA free for all.

And city police have been hustling students for citation $ everywhere. Those stories sound pretty mild compared to what the Indiana Excise police does on football Saturdays.

Every student has the option, but there's a limited number of student tickets. It's first come first served by Seniority. Basically Grad students seniors, juniors and some sophomores get East stadium (the sideline tickets) and lazy juniors, unlucky sophomores and freshmen get south stadium (the corner endzone). All seats are GA as of 2007. And you can't get from south to east unless you go all the way around the stadium (and technically have a wrist band, but I don't think anyone really checks that).

Two seasons ago they handed out tons of free sunglasses, as well as the Iron N towels and the 50 years of sellouts towels. They had some more towels this year for the MSU game and I know they had dozens of huge boxes of donuts for the early risers for the UCLA game.

Room for improvement but those things don't have that huge of an impact - especially if the student section stays where it is and the people above row 70 in south get nothing

That was actually kind of funny, the boxes got past down the rows and the upper rows got nothing of course. I forget exactly when, maybe between the 1st and 2nd, a food fight broke out between south and east stadiums.

That was actually kind of funny, the boxes got past down the rows and the upper rows got nothing of course. I forget exactly when, maybe between the 1st and 2nd, a food fight broke out between south and east stadiums.

Hahaha I totally forgot about that. My friend was hammered and attempted to throw a donuts but it pretty much exploded in his hand and the entire glazed donut went into the girls hair in front of him. She was not happy.

I think the ticket transfer policy is hurting the NU student section as well.

I believe students have there ID's swiped now as there way of entering. They used to have a physical ticket and if they didn't want to go they could get the ticket validated and sell to anyone. Nowadays with their student ID being used I think it's very difficult to allow someone, somehow to use their "ticket" if they cannot attend. Thus the ticket goes unused and seats are empty.

nuHusker students can't pawn their tickets? that's harsh.

At ND you had to pay a small fee and you could swap your game ticket for a GA ticket. I believe there was a limit on how many games a year one person could redeem.

cough cough, that's how there were a few red dots in the student section in 2001, but the next week I noticed a lot of Saint Mary's and graduate students in those seats.

nuHusker students can't pawn their tickets? that's harsh.

At ND you had to pay a small fee and you could swap your game ticket for a GA ticket. I believe there was a limit on how many games a year one person could redeem.

cough cough, that's how there were a few red dots in the student section in 2001, but the next week I noticed a lot of Saint Mary's and graduate students in those seats.

They can, but if it's to a non-student they have to pay the difference, which ends up being completely outrageous (like $60 for conference games, compared to $56 for season ticket value) so nobody is interested. The validation has always existed, but it's a lot easier to just borrow someone's student ID and walk in with a paper ticket so people wouldn't generally validate if they knew students.

It's not impossible, it's just complicated and involves extra steps and headaches. The university made it all digital as a money-grabbing technique (like they need it), but they are hurting attendance with the policy.