ESPN Top 5 B1G Student Sections

Mavric

I asked this before but I forget what people said...how is the student seating now? Don't you get in line, get a wristband and then sit just in a general section?

Also, is it easy for students to sneak in booze?

I remember one game, vs UCLA (I think) It was crazy hot and someone brought it Hot 100...gross!

East stadium gets wristbands, south stadium doesn't. Otherwise, yes, it's a free for all as soon as the gates open, and also pretty effortless to sneak in alcohol.

It's easy to get booze in but once inside I guess they have cameras that are looking for students drinking. They also have security patrolling and watching the students. I found out the hard way and got slapped with an MIP at the Iowa game.

No way! What happened?

I asked this before but I forget what people said...how is the student seating now? Don't you get in line, get a wristband and then sit just in a general section?

Also, is it easy for students to sneak in booze?

I remember one game, vs UCLA (I think) It was crazy hot and someone brought it Hot 100...gross!

East stadium gets wristbands, south stadium doesn't. Otherwise, yes, it's a free for all as soon as the gates open, and also pretty effortless to sneak in alcohol.

It's easy to get booze in but once inside I guess they have cameras that are looking for students drinking. They also have security patrolling and watching the students. I found out the hard way and got slapped with an MIP at the Iowa game.

No way! What happened?

Me and a couple of my buddies were being loud unlike most of the rest of our pathetic student section and the cops said someone in our area reported us as drinking at the game. They pretty much swarmed us and took us to the campus police station. I also got a disturbing the peace. How in the hell do you get disturbing the peace at a football game??? ITS SUPPOSED TO BE LOUD.

Suh, that sounds super lame!

I have seen college kids, cuffed (zip tied) outside the stadium before but I think it was because they were not using red cups or because they left the parking lot with booze.

I have a friend that is a LPD and he had them cuffed up and we were laughing, he was just shaking his head and said "They just won't listen, they are idiots"

Me and a couple of my buddies were being loud unlike most of the rest of our pathetic student section and the cops said someone in our area reported us as drinking at the game. They pretty much swarmed us and took us to the campus police station. I also got a disturbing the peace. How in the hell do you get disturbing the peace at a football game??? ITS SUPPOSED TO BE LOUD.

"There is no place like Nebraska"

I have seen college kids, cuffed (zip tied) outside the stadium before but I think it was because they were not using red cups or because they left the parking lot with booze.

I have a friend that is a LPD and he had them cuffed up and we were laughing, he was just shaking his head and said "They just won't listen, they are idiots"

Haha ya I was pissed. I'm guessing it was one of those sorority girls who shows up to the game just to take a picture to show they were there and then sits on Facebook the rest of the game who reported us. I hate our student section. If we were in the SEC, PAC 12 or Big 12 we wouldn't be in the top 5.

Haha ya I was pissed. I'm guessing it was one of those sorority girls who shows up to the game just to take a picture to show they were there and then sits on Facebook the rest of the game who reported us. I hate our student section. If we were in the SEC, PAC 12 or Big 12 we wouldn't be in the top 5.

Why would a sorority girl turn you in...they love drinking!!!

Why would a sorority girl turn you in...they love drinking!!!

Some do... and others are just snotty bitches. I've run into a few of them on game days.

If we were in the SEC, PAC 12 or Big 12 we wouldn't be in the top 5.

I don't know about that. It seems like everyone is having issues with student sections and attendance, even Alabama. I really like what UGA did in that they cut a portion of their student section and created a young alumni section so people that have graduated in the last five years have seats specifically for them. I'd imagine those people have better attendance as well.

If we were in the SEC, PAC 12 or Big 12 we wouldn't be in the top 5.

I don't know about that. It seems like everyone is having issues with student sections and attendance, even Alabama. I really like what UGA did in that they cut a portion of their student section and created a young alumni section so people that have graduated in the last five years have seats specifically for them. I'd imagine those people have better attendance as well.

I agree the young alumni would be a good idea. I'm not basing my ranking of student section only on attendance. I just feel like our student section isn't very loud. When I watch other games the students are loud, jumping around and seem to just be in sync. I think the boneyard or Iron N, whoever runs the football student section, should do a better job getting the students rowdy and together. I like what the red zone leaders have done for basketball.

I just cant beleive that with today's technology, the school cant come up with some sort of way of enforcing the privilage of student tickets. If you dont use 'em once, you get a warning. twice, and you lose em and get bumped to the bottom of the waiting list. I know the changes in policy and such that have made it difficult for the tickets to change hands compared to the past, but still, there are a lot of empty spaces at these games lately, and i'll bet there's a ton of UNL students out there who would love to fill em if only they could get a ticket. There's ways to get a grasp on this issue.

I started thinking...instead of changing the seating, just build a couple of temporary Old Country Buffet and Grandmother's Restaurants around the top of the stadium. Make sure each table has a built-in TV that shows nothing but the Lifetime Channel, a sewing machine, and scatter some crocheting needles and gigantic am/fm radio headphones on tables, and Wah-lah! Closer seats instantly become available to students.

I agree the young alumni would be a good idea. I'm not basing my ranking of student section only on attendance. I just feel like our student section isn't very loud. When I watch other games the students are loud, jumping around and seem to just be in sync. I think the boneyard or Iron N, whoever runs the football student section, should do a better job getting the students rowdy and together. I like what the red zone leaders have done for basketball.

Speaking first-hand as someone that founded, ran and was president of a student fan organization, it's just not that easy. You can not manufacture excitement. Those Iron N kids are trying like hell, and to their credit, to come up with ideas and create an environment that will result in a conducive and snowballing effort of getting people excited, but eventually it comes down to those people actually deciding to do it.

It's hard to do, and ultimately, winning really does cure everything. We've spent hundreds of dollars on incentives and advertising and promoting and prizes only to have a few hundred students show up and sit on their hands. But then our women's basketball team hosts regionals and plays for an Elite Eight berth? With one day's notice the section is jam packed full screaming and jumping.

The Red Zone has a long, long ways to go as well.

Speaking first-hand as someone that founded, ran and was president of a student fan organization, it's just not that easy. You can not manufacture excitement. Those Iron N kids are trying like hell, and to their credit, to come up with ideas and create an environment that will result in a conducive and snowballing effort of getting people excited, but eventually it comes down to those people actually deciding to do it.

It's hard to do, and ultimately, winning really does cure everything. We've spent hundreds of dollars on incentives and advertising and promoting and prizes only to have a few hundred students show up and sit on their hands. But then our women's basketball team hosts regionals and plays for an Elite Eight berth? With one day's notice the section is jam packed full screaming and jumping.

The Red Zone has a long, long ways to go as well.

I wasn't trying to bash anyone in Iron N or blame them for the lack of student excitement. I know it's hard and honestly I don't know what can be done to generate excitement. In my opinion we shouldn't need an organization to get students excited. If you don't care about the game and aren't guna be loud don't go! There are plenty of people who would gladly take your ticket.

You know how to get students to the games? Give away free stuff every game. A shirt one game, some shorts another, food another, headbands one, gloves one, etc. Yes, it will cost the University some money but it will cause excitement and get kids to the game. Well, maybe anyway. Just a thought. Hell, it might not make any difference whatsoever.

You know how to get students to the games? Give away free stuff every game. A shirt one game, some shorts another, food another, headbands one, gloves one, etc. Yes, it will cost the University some money but it will cause excitement and get kids to the game. Well, maybe anyway. Just a thought. Hell, it might not make any difference whatsoever.

Trouble is they're already doing this.