TwitchTV Crowdsourced Pokemon

http://www.twitch.tv...tchplayspokemon

Get in on this, you guys.

This is a live stream of Pokemon Red that takes chats from users as inputs to the game. i.e, "a", "b", "start", "up",....there are tens of thousands of users on at any given time, and they're on occasion either kicking butt or attempting to use the S.S. Ticket on wild Pidgeys.

There are two modes, anarchy (realtime free-for-all) and democracy (voting every 20s). You also vote on the system in use; a 75% majority is needed to switch.

This is a social experiment on the grandest scale as thousands of participants with varying aims -- winning, trolling, aimless clicking -- coalesce to form or dissolve government, play Pokemon, and spawn religions.

(The Helix Fossil is the Lord and the Way. All Hail Bird Jesus!)

Currently they've got 4 badges and should be heading to Lavender Town (?)

Google Docs Central Planning: https://docs.google....?pli=1&sle=true (If you're a pro-winning)

(Reddit) Explanation of Everything So Far: http://www.reddit.co...thing_thus_far/

Chat filter user script: http://userscripts.o...pts/show/388508 (A must-add script that filters commands out of the chat box so that you can see the actual chatter. Which is glorious)

Live History: http://www.reddit.com/live/sw7bubeycai6hey4ciytwamw3a

Man. This isn't a thousand monkeys at a thousand typewriters. It's twenty thousand monkeys at a single typewriter, and half those monkeys are screaming and desperately trying to progress while the other half throw *** everywhere. It's wonderful

Last night they beat Giovanni (took them two days), and then forgot to grab the silph scope before teleporting out

The "you" in this gif is me:

overyourhead.gif

Basically, you have to spend a long time fighting really difficult bosses and navigating a long and complicated maze to obtain this key item to progress through the story. The fact that the twitch game made it through victorious is, on it's own, an absolute miracle, and that they then teleported out without retrieving the item is either really tragic or unfathomably hilarious.

Last night they beat Giovanni (took them two days), and then forgot to grab the silph scope before teleporting out :lol:

Yeah, they beat Giovanni in anarchy mode and then used Dig to leave, and had to resort to democracy to go back and get the silph scope. That was pretty funny. I think the night before they were stuck in the Rocket Hangout for ages, and that's a tough one...(this being before democracy/anarchy was implemented). Just bouncing back and forth.

A few other major events appear to be...

Beating Lt. Surge in one go

Spending hours cutting down a tree

Releasing Flareon (ouch!) (sidenote, Red meandered his way to a PC at some point later last night and the panic in the chatroom was palpable. 'Oh god' 'GET AWAY FROM THE PC'. Can't blame them; Bird Jesus is a machine and he's all they have.)

Probably the coolest thing that's happened that I know of is the community-wide protest that spawned after democracy was introduced. That sparked a rebellion of 'start9' voters, which spams the start button 9 times in a row, bringing up and closing the menu over and over and over and stopping everything. The creator took notice and had to counteract this somehow, but it was heartwarming to see. I think anarchy is the only real way to play, but of course, forget one silph scope and people want democracy again...gone, maybe, is the pure revolutionary spirit of yore.

My 16 year old son is a huge Pokémon fan. I don't really get it. I understand that it is a big strategy/skill building game but that is about it. He would like to discuss it with me and will sometimes. After a few minutes of him talking usually I try to be polite and say I am glad that you are very passionate about the game, but I really don't care.

I just hope he can find a way to make a living from his passion for video games.

After boldly charging up the Lavender Tower for about three days, the team conquer it and make their way down to Fuchsia City. A breath away from defeat, Bird Jesus heroically carries our heroes past an entire gauntlet of trainers, but the Fuchsia City Pokemon Center proves to be difficult to get to. It's important to heal, because if they should black out for whatever reason, they're all the way back in Lavender Town.

We almost get there...but overshoot with the 'right's and go down the ledge. On the second try, we enter the gym and do battle....miraculously, Bird Jesus delivers us again, but is hit with poison, meaning we have a very limited number of steps to get to the Pokemon Center before blacking out! An incredibly strong (and IMHO, disgraceful!) swell pushes us right up to the [D]emocracy 75% majority, but Bird Jesus faints before anything is accomplished and we're back in Lavender Town. The democratic fervor dies down and the streak -- no democracy since the silph scope retrieval -- continues, for now. But the "Let's Get Fly" sentiment seems to have reawoken, much to their opponents' horror....

Red, too quixotic for his own good!