so, listening to Sharp and Benning in the morning

74Hunter

That's my point, no one can guarantee it. There may be someone that may get better results than Pelini has. Heck there may be lots that can better results, but I know there are a lot that can and would get worse results.

what's wrong with giving me a name or two. Read my next post I give some names that I think are probably better.

Because the minute someone gives you a name you'll just say we couldn't get him, or list of any other number of reasons why the name is crap. Peterson was constantly thought of as impossible to get to Lincoln. Look where he is now. Vandy coach would never leave for Nebraska. Look where he is now. Texas and USC were too big of jobs for us to compete with. Look who they ended up with. We would have come out just fine w/ our search had it happened this off season. There were plenty of names, many we likely know nothing about - that could have performed at a level similar to Bo - with at least the "potential" (remember when we used to use that in describing Pelini a few years ago) to perform at a much higher level. How confident are you all in Bo's potential now?

Peterson never would have come to Nebraska. No matter how much you wanted him, it never would have happened.

See :)

Proof otherwise?

Didn't think so. Go listen to the podcast, with an open mind.

That's my point, no one can guarantee it. There may be someone that may get better results than Pelini has. Heck there may be lots that can better results, but I know there are a lot that can and would get worse results.

what's wrong with giving me a name or two. Read my next post I give some names that I think are probably better.

Because the minute someone gives you a name you'll just say we couldn't get him, or list of any other number of reasons why the name is crap. Peterson was constantly thought of as impossible to get to Lincoln. Look where he is now. Vandy coach would never leave for Nebraska. Look where he is now. Texas and USC were too big of jobs for us to compete with. Look who they ended up with. We would have come out just fine w/ our search had it happened this off season. There were plenty of names, many we likely know nothing about - that could have performed at a level similar to Bo - with at least the "potential" (remember when we used to use that in describing Pelini a few years ago) to perform at a much higher level. How confident are you all in Bo's potential now?

I never said we wouldn't come out fine with a coaching search this year. I truly thought BP was gone after the Iowa game. So I thought we would be looking for a new coach.

I am still confident in BP potential. I thought this year was probably his best job of coaching since the 2010 season. They overcame a lot to win 9 games. I guess I just have a little more patience.

I live in Idaho I know how good a coach Chris Peterson is, but it is still a lot of potential. Lets see how well he does each week against a PAC 12 schedule. That also brings up another elite QB. Peterson hasn't looked as good the last 2 years without Kellen Moore as his QB.

Sumlin didn't find Manziel, he was already at A&M. Sumlin also took over at Houston with Case Keenum already there.

I think there is definitely a degree of luck to finding that elite qb that works in your system. If their wasn't every 5* would be that elite QB. We know that is not the case. IMO TO in his 25 years of coaching recruited 3 truly game changing QBs, Gill, Frazier, and Crouch. Frost was close, but not quite there. Three in 25 years and 1 didn't even play for him.

But Sumlin and his staff built the entire offense around Manziel and Keenum. 2 completely different systems for very different QBs. I agree entirely that it's a lot of luck. But you have to admit, we've been pretty unlucky. And honestly it doesn't seem like Bo has been able to develop a system around his talent. Both on D, and on O. He kind of hung his hat on Martinez and while that looked promising in year 1, by early in year 3 it was pretty obvious where this was going to end up. Not sure he had a lot of options though.

I will admit we are probably an elite QB away from winning 11-12. But I think there are a lot of other teams could say that too. A great coach will find a way to win without that elite QB. Honestly, did you think Braxton was that great? (or his backup for that matter). Or Franklin at Missouri? (or his backup). Neither were elite, but both won A LOT of games this last season primarily on coaching.

• Fire 1

Sumlin didn't find Manziel, he was already at A&M. Sumlin also took over at Houston with Case Keenum already there.

I think there is definitely a degree of luck to finding that elite qb that works in your system. If their wasn't every 5* would be that elite QB. We know that is not the case. IMO TO in his 25 years of coaching recruited 3 truly game changing QBs, Gill, Frazier, and Crouch. Frost was close, but not quite there. Three in 25 years and 1 didn't even play for him.

But Sumlin and his staff built the entire offense around Manziel and Keenum. 2 completely different systems for very different QBs. I agree entirely that it's a lot of luck. But you have to admit, we've been pretty unlucky. And honestly it doesn't seem like Bo has been able to develop a system around his talent. Both on D, and on O. He kind of hung his hat on Martinez and while that looked promising in year 1, by early in year 3 it was pretty obvious where this was going to end up. Not sure he had a lot of options though.

I will admit we are probably an elite QB away from winning 11-12. But I think there are a lot of other teams could say that too. A great coach will find a way to win without that elite QB. Honestly, did you think Braxton was that great? (or his backup for that matter). Or Franklin at Missouri? (or his backup). Neither were elite, but both won A LOT of games this last season primarily on coaching.

I don't think Sumlin's offense changed all that much from Houston to A&M. But, I am sorry you don't teach what Manziel does on a football field.

If you don't think Braxton Miller is elite than let me ask you this, if we swap him for our starting QB do they win more or less games this year? I think they win more. JMO

If Bo Pelini can achieve 9 wins per season here, then better coaches can achieve better. They can also be bought.

Curious argument.

I wonder, if I take this and apply it to a different situation it still rings true.

At the time, would anyone had considered Bill Callahan a better coach or fit for Nebraska football than Frank Solich?

Remember, I'm talking about at the time, not reflecting back.

lol no.

his only success as a coach was making it to a super bowl with gruden's players and gruden's playbook and then getting depantsed by gruden and getting fired after his team quit on him and sucked ass.

Than how come John Gruden gets a pass? His name is brought up all the time when a top elite college program is looking to hire a coach. Is it because Gruden won a Super Bowl? Remember Tony Dungy left Tampa Bay to coach at Indy who was replaced by Gruden and Gruden was stuck with all of Dungy players.

As for the second paragraph, let's just say that besides the inherent issues at Nebraska (small population, cold, remote, B1G affiliation) let's just say that one of his superiors isn't doing Bo any favors, on the contrary, he is sand bagging the program, for lack of a better word. I've heard this from numerous people, some public, some in private. And, if you connect the dots along with everything that has been said, it's fairly obvious.

Sigh. It's never Pelini's fault. It's the administration. It's the lack of population. It's the weather. It's the B1G. It's the refs. It's bad luck. It's Taylor Martinez. It's injuries. It's Barney Cotton. It's Shawn Watson. It's Dirk Chatelain. It's the local media.

It's always something. It's just never Pelini.

• Fire 3

As for the second paragraph, let's just say that besides the inherent issues at Nebraska (small population, cold, remote, B1G affiliation) let's just say that one of his superiors isn't doing Bo any favors, on the contrary, he is sand bagging the program, for lack of a better word. I've heard this from numerous people, some public, some in private. And, if you connect the dots along with everything that has been said, it's fairly obvious.

Sigh. It's never Pelini's fault. It's the administration. It's the lack of population. It's the weather. It's the B1G. It's the refs. It's bad luck. It's Taylor Martinez. It's injuries. It's Barney Cotton. It's Shawn Watson. It's Dirk Chatelain. It's the local media.

Of coarse it is Pelini's fault that we have lost 4 games every year for the last 6. It is also his fault that we have won at least 9 a year in that same span.

• Fire 1

This.^

To elaborate on my own a bit, I'm sorry 74Hunter, I appreciate your response as to what's so difficult, but really you gave nothing legitimate. Bo coaches the football team. What is a superior doing that is limiting Bo's abilities to do so effectively? Enough excuses already. So Nebraska has a smaller population. Ok, true. So do other states compared to California, Texas and Florida. So what? It didn't seem to matter in the past. You know, the past.....as in the last 40 years Nebraska has been one of the most dominant football programs ever. So in the world of social media, computers, cell phones, and other technology that makes communication and contact even easier than Devaney could have ever had it, it's now a valid excuse? No.

I think we should all listen to the OP. The two biggest Bo apologists in Lincoln think Bo should stay, they must be right.

Sip, I'll give you, but not Damon. Go listen to the podcast and learn a little.

Damon, from what I've heard from him, tends to be a bit more honest on things, yet he tries to be so elusive and mysterious with his responses that it is really hard to grasp exactly what the hell he is trying to say sometimes.

Sip, pure Pelini ass kisser and I've really lost a lot of respect for him as a writer in the past few years. The impression Sipple has given leads me to believe if/when Bo moves on from Nebraska, Sipple will be following him. The allegiance appears to be much stronger to the one versus the other. Just my opinion.

This.^

To elaborate on my own a bit, I'm sorry 74Hunter, I appreciate your response as to what's so difficult, but really you gave nothing legitimate. Bo coaches the football team. What is a superior doing that is limiting Bo's abilities to do so effectively? Enough excuses already. So Nebraska has a smaller population. Ok, true. So do other states compared to California, Texas and Florida. So what? It didn't seem to matter in the past. You know, the past.....as in the last 40 years Nebraska has been one of the most dominant football programs ever. So in the world of social media, computers, cell phones, and other technology that makes communication and contact even easier than Devaney could have ever had it, it's now a valid excuse? No.

I agree that a superior is not limiting BP abilities as a coach.

I don't agree that the fact that Nebraska has a smaller population is just an excuse. I'm sorry, it is a fact that their are fewer elite players close to the University of Nebraska than there is to most elite programs. I was looking at ESPN's top 300 recruits for 2015. In just a quick count 30 of the players were from Georgia and I think 11 or 12 were from Alabama. I don't think there was even 10 within Nebraska's 500 mile radius.

I have no data to back it up but I will bet that most players want to play their college football closer to home. It is simple logistics.

All that social media/computers/internet etc is around actually makes it harder for NU to recruit IMO.

If TO was in his prime in 2014 it wouldn't be as big an issue, but he is not.

If Bo Pelini can achieve 9 wins per season here, then better coaches can achieve better. They can also be bought.

Curious argument.

I wonder, if I take this and apply it to a different situation it still rings true.

At the time, would anyone had considered Bill Callahan a better coach or fit for Nebraska football than Frank Solich?

Remember, I'm talking about at the time, not reflecting back.

lol no.

his only success as a coach was making it to a super bowl with gruden's players and gruden's playbook and then getting depantsed by gruden and getting fired after his team quit on him and sucked ass.

Than how come John Gruden gets a pass? His name is brought up all the time when a top elite college program is looking to hire a coach. Is it because Gruden won a Super Bowl? Remember Tony Dungy left Tampa Bay to coach at Indy who was replaced by Gruden and Gruden was stuck with all of Dungy players.

I believe he was talking about Callahan, not Gruden himself.

I'm largely supportive of Bo and thinks he needs a little more time steer the ship before we even think about firing him. But, the people that want Pelini gone have very fair, reasonable critiques of Pelini and why he shouldn't be here. It's unwise to dismiss them or their opinions, because some of them are logical arguments.

I've said over the last few months though that, in my opinion, Pelini needs a B1G title soon if he wants to keep his job. And, I think he realizes this. The man's not stupid. And by soon, I personally believe it needs to happen within the next couple seasons. After that point, I believe it's difficult to justify keeping him here, especially if he makes it to a title game again but loses again. Feel free to disagree but I think that's a reasonable expectation for fans.

+1

This.^

I agree that a superior is not limiting BP abilities as a coach.

It's no secret that BP doesn't get along with one of his superiors. That is a fact.

It's funny that once the recruiting staffs were able to be hired, Bama went out an hired over 20 people for that, but we're still shuffling our feet over it. Bo wants that type of recruiting staff, well, because gosh darn, some of our entitled fans think that we should be on Bama's level. We have a grossly overpaid AD, so don't tell me that we don't have the money to hire a competent recruiting staff. Facts.

Bo didn't have as much access to private planes for recruiting. Fact.

ADSE not speaking out in support of Pelini didn't help the team or recruiting. Fact.

Giving all of the assistants the same contract length was another shot across the bow. IMHO

Also, listen to what many who are close to the program say. There have been former Huskers on the radio that have voiced the same sentiment. Others in the press have, too. I've heard from others (boosters, former Huskers) that have said some very interesting things about the climate in Lincoln.

I'm not excusing Bo for any of his failures, but when you don't have full support from your higher ups, you are being set up to fail. And lets be intelligent here, winning 70% of your games is not failing.

To paraphrase what SIp (btw, I don't really care for him) and Damon said, it was more along the lines of the entitled fans that think that we could have pulled Franklin, Smart, Peterson, etc. Essentially, they said that the Nebraska fans really need to slow their role in thinking how awesome of a job this is and how easy it would be to get an established great coach to come here. It started with Pedey, and hasn't ended since. Right now, we don't have a good name in the coaching circles, and the entitled, whiney #9wins fans don't help the situation at all. Fire a guy that wins 70% of his games (again), and just see what you're going to get.

Anyhow, gotta pack and get to bed for a 630 flight. GBR

So that is your answer? No names, not one person who you are sure is superior and more capable? Some one who for sure will come into the program in 2015 and will guarantee an 11-2 season or Big 10 championship or a BCS win?

Its fine not to be happy with losing 4 times a year or not happy with not winning a conference championship, but all you are giving me is some vague answer about being a superior and more capable coach.

Serious question? Why do you (and many) feel that in order to have the opinion landlord does, he also needs to provide a name - and not only any name but one that can guarantee 11 win seasons (which not even Saban could do). That person doesn't exist. But we know 100% that Bo can't guarentee it. So if you can't give me a name of someone on the current staff that can guarantee it, then I think it's time we changed staffs.

It's fine to be happy with the current 4 losses and think that Bo can improve - but all you are giving is some vague argument why no one else could possibly be better.

I bet a coach that lost 7 straight bowl games wouldn't 'guarentee' anything either. That's the funny thing about coaching young men playing a somewhat unpredictable game in a parity-laced world. You're really rolling the dice if you think you know what could happen week by week.