Jamal Turner QB "experiment"

This is an interesting development, if for no other reason, because of how much press and hype the story is and will continue to receive. Opposing DCs will have to dedicate some amount of time to developing packages based off of Turner's skillset vs. Tommie's vs. Stanton's. Anything to make the opposing coaches work harder, even if it never comes to fruition, makes the scenario worth it in my opinion.

This is an interesting development, if for no other reason, because of how much press and hype the story is and will continue to receive. Opposing DCs will have to dedicate some amount of time to developing packages based off of Turner's skillset vs. Tommie's vs. Stanton's. Anything to make the opposing coaches work harder, even if it never comes to fruition, makes the scenario worth it in my opinion.

for me, i want my top two guys getting all the reps......that 3rd guy, who hasn't played the position since high school is using up good coaching time to be able to come in for a handful of gadget plays.

for me, i want my top two guys getting all the reps......that 3rd guy, who hasn't played the position since high school is using up good coaching time to be able to come in for a handful of gadget plays....its his senior year, lets groom Stanton first.

for me, i want my top two guys getting all the reps......that 3rd guy, who hasn't played the position since high school is using up good coaching time to be able to come in for a handful of gadget plays.

I definitely agree, but think about, outside of the gadget plays, how important his role could really become. You have a RS Soph (spotty play at times), RS Frosh (previously torn ACL), True Frosh (multiple concussions). Things could go south REALLY quick and he could see some real PT in a pinch.

I wonder how well Turner runs the option. Could be some interesting gadget plays run with Armstrong, Turner, and Abdullah all in the backfield. Or Turner, Abdullah and Cross. Turner obviously can sling it, so the pass threat is still there aside from the very obvious running threat he is.

I like anything that gets the ball into a playmakers hands like Turner's. Still, this can also be one of those things where you start to wonder if we are trying to be too cute with things. Should be interesting to see how it plays out, or if it plays out at all. Like said above, if nothing else, it's one more thing that could confuse opposing defenses at opportune times.

Kind of makes a person wonder why the coaches waited until Jamal's senior year to put him back at QB. A guy who originally was recruited as a QB and has the arm strength to stretch the field with the pass yet also has the athletic ability to be a dual-threat and take it the distance.

Up until now no Big ten teams have game film from the past 3 years on him playing qb. This tells me Bo and co. are utilizing what we have while we still have it to add another peice to the 2014 offensive puzzle.

For the record let me say that I love this thread. The clear vision of every Husker fans want of "Beck is the worst! Just keep it simple! Hand it off to our horses! Being multiple sucks! Run the diamond formation more! And put the third best receiver who at times doesn't even seem to want to even run his routes correctly in as our QB!" Has never been clearer.

To say nothing of the fact that it speaks volumes towards the quality of player development if a guy who hasn't played qb since high school IS an option at quarterback.

I'm really starting to believe that I am one of the really few who is ok with the offense and Armstrong back there.

• Fire 1

I'm really starting to believe that I am one of the really few who is ok with the offense and Armstrong back there.

you are not alone. armstrong has a lot of poise in the pocket. he needs to progress past rookie mistakes, but i think we should have a pretty stout offense next season.

and furthermore, i have a lot of confidence in beck. the concern is the defense, which should always be the huskers bread and butter. it is what separates good teams from great teams.

To say nothing of the fact that it speaks volumes towards the quality of player development if a guy who hasn't played qb since high school IS an option at quarterback.

Never mind the fact that we develop walk-ons into All Americans, an undersized but talented back into a top 10 nationally and conference leading rusher (in one of the top defensive leagues in the nation), we took a juco kid his first year in and made him the conference leading sack master, or that we were able to have a redshirt freshman QB come in for a 5th year senior and lead a banged up offense and young defense to only one loss while under his command.

It's spring ball take it easy man.

• Fire 5

I think that's a recruiting/roster management issue, not development. Our scholarship QBs in 2014 are a sophomore, a freshman, and redshirting true freshmen. Jamal isn't chopped liver, and as someone pointed out, this isn't the first time he's taken reps at QB at Nebraska. I mean, it seems like an extremely obvious thing to try out, especially in the Spring.

But yes, in an ideal world, we would have another more veteran scholarship QB available instead of double-dipping in the true freshman class. You like to take a QB every year and we lost our guys from both the 2010 and 2011 classes. Banking a lot on the young guys.

Never mind the fact that we develop walk-ons into All Americans, an undersized but talented back into a top 10 nationally and conference leading rusher (in one of the top defensive leagues in the nation), we took a juco kid his first year in and made him the conference leading sack master, or that we were able to have a redshirt freshman QB come in for a 5th year senior and lead a banged up offense and young defense to only one loss while under his command.

And I think that would be used developing Armstrong and Stanton, not some project gadget play scheme with a WR at QB. Forgive me.

If the coaches want a project, they could start to try and crack that fumbling thing. Which may stem from players playing positions foreign to them.

And I think that would be used developing Armstrong and Stanton, not some project gadget play scheme with a WR at QB. Forgive me.

If the coaches want a project, they could start to try and crack that fumbling thing. Which may stem from players playing positions foreign to them.

I think you're reading way too much into this.

• Fire 4

I think you're reading way too much into this.

I think this is a waste of time. Let the returning kid with experience and the highly recruited QB learn the position.

• Fire 1