Jamal Turner QB "experiment"

i do think it is funny that people say that this really does not take much time out of the qb's or offense's practice time, but it is something defenses will have to spend more time preparing for. so it will tax opposing defenses practices, but is a nominal strain on ours?

It doesn't take much effort to trot JT out there to take some snaps at QB and run packages we already have.

For a defense to prepare for it, if they choose to, will take planning by the coaches, prepping the scout team for 3 possible QBs, running the D through all of those options.

All Bo had to do was say, Hey a turner get out there and take some snaps.

• Fire 2

i guess. but i just do not think those 'wrinkles' are that hard to prepare for. if it makes your offense more effective and dynamic, great. but that is the advantage. for instance, i was never too concerned with the huskers having to prepare for northwestern because they had two qb's. yeah, they had an effective and dynamic offense, but if we executed our game plan, it did not really matter.

just like how a lot of people say we play simple during the non-con to make sure we do not show too much. i never really bought that. you just make the best game plans you can and make sure you can execute them. that is all i am saying.

If the Jamal thing is just a spring experiment and a possible trick play type option or wildcat option during the season that would be fine. But if we hear about him making a great account of himself at QB and that he's moving up the depth chart as in starting to look like an option to be THE MAN, then not so much. I am for playing whoever is best to help the team win, but if Turner gets anywhere near the starting job it will mean that TA and JS aren't performing well. And that would be a major concern in my mind.

Right now, no one should be getting the sense that Jamal is threatening to take the QB job.

But these things progress. And story lines develop over the course of the spring.

It's something to keep an eye on.

I just find it hilarious that there's actually spec and a meltdown over thoughts that Turner's gonna come in and take the job away from a 3rd year guy with a year's of experience and another that was an elite 11 prospect. It's gonna be a situational thing. A wrinkle like was said before. And I'll bet the farm that the majority of Turner's snaps this year remain from the WR position.

And that's what I projected. And a 'situational thing' is fine. But why waste your time doing it in the Spring?! You've got two QB's, one with less than half a season of game experience, one coming off a redshirt that needs all the experience he can get, and you're doing this?! And he's getting the majority of the reps? This just isn't making a whole lot of sense unless Armstrong and Stanton aren't very good. Because if you're really going to plug JT into a QB position, you just lost an experienced WR.

I would be willing to bet he has cut more into Broekemeier & Fife's snaps then into Armstrong's & Stanton's. He has also done a very good job of taking the spotlight off Armstrong & Stanton.

If the Jamal thing is just a spring experiment and a possible trick play type option or wildcat option during the season that would be fine. But if we hear about him making a great account of himself at QB and that he's moving up the depth chart as in starting to look like an option to be THE MAN, then not so much. I am for playing whoever is best to help the team win, but if Turner gets anywhere near the starting job it will mean that TA and JS aren't performing well. And that would be a major concern in my mind.

Right now, no one should be getting the sense that Jamal is threatening to take the QB job.

But these things progress. And story lines develop over the course of the spring.

It's something to keep an eye on.

If the bold happens, then god help us all. Cuz then let all the "where's he been all along" talk arise. Holy cow. That would be one hell of a coulda woulda shoulda bitchfest.

Turner is a hell of an athlete. His career has been ..........meh. I'm sure he'll really make a splash as a WR/QB/PR/KR this year though.

he has been a huge disappointment. i remember his spring game a few years ago and how he was all the rage, he caught 13 passes for 103 yards last season, big whoop.

this is a total waste of time and a Pelini wet dream....why not develop Stanton and hone Tommie's skills, instead of playing games? Bo needs to stick to the basics.

I am glad I am not the only one who doesnt seem to high on Turners outstanding WR career here at Neb. Every one says we have this huge talent pool of WR's that are so great. At best with JT in the mix our group is a little above average in my opinion. Keep JT at WR.

A ton of OL guys got great reps last year, as well as Armstrong, and of course there are the RB's. I really think they're fine in staying the course on O. Fix the D

We only return one OT with any meaningful game time (Sterup). We lose our #1 red zone target at WR. QB is still a question mark IMO... Armstrong showed he has potential last year & competition should be fierce, but I still see the most important position as a question mark at this point. Can the offense fix the turnover problems? Another question mark. Also, I love what we have at RB.

We can agree to disagree on Armstrong, and he definitely needs more reps, but I cannot be convinced that Turner has more upside there in his sr season than Armstrong or Stanton. At all.

Didn't Darlington enroll in January? Throw a green jersey on and work on him. Even that would be better.

It's like you didn't even read practice reports.

Darlington is doing just that.

• Fire 2

Darlington might not even be medically available this season, at least outside of an emergency.

Isn't it worrying to you that one man down and we're throwing a raw and untested redshirt freshman out there? How can preparing another option be a bad thing?

Jamal Turner isn't any more tested than Stanton if we're talking about quarterbacks with game time under their belt. Sure he's played WR, but whether it's him or Stanton under center after an injury to Armstrong, the d they're facing is still salty and coming hard, and neither will be "ready" for it. And that's to say nothing of the fact that a lot of people seem to think Stanton can win the 1 spot anyway, so why are we worried about how he handles things if that's true. I just think this is a weird thing to toss in when the biggest story this spring (and something I was really looking forward to) was a Armstrong/Stanton competition.

And I'd ask WHY exactly Nebraska is in a situation where there's really only two options at QB coming into a season, but I'm not interested in 387 more replies saying how negative I am.

Probably the same reason the almighty Alabama Crimson Tide are relying on a 2nd string transfer from another school (who's taken about 50 snaps and never scored a touchdown) to take the job.

Roster turnover.

• Fire 2

A ton of OL guys got great reps last year, as well as Armstrong, and of course there are the RB's. I really think they're fine in staying the course on O. Fix the D

We only return one OT with any meaningful game time (Sterup). We lose our #1 red zone target at WR. QB is still a question mark IMO... Armstrong showed he has potential last year & competition should be fierce, but I still see the most important position as a question mark at this point. Can the offense fix the turnover problems? Another question mark. Also, I love what we have at RB.

We can agree to disagree on Armstrong, and he definitely needs more reps, but I cannot be convinced that Turner has more upside there in his sr season than Armstrong or Stanton. At all.

Didn't Darlington enroll in January? Throw a green jersey on and work on him. Even that would be better.

that and if JT was such a great prospect, why didn't he work out at QB on the scout team years ago......I am sorry, but time spent on Stanton and Darlington makes so much more sense....there is so much more Pelini needs to work on...defenses win championships, he needs to stay in his zone.

that and if JT was such a great prospect, why didn't he work out at QB on the scout team years ago......I am sorry, but time spent on Stanton and Darlington makes so much more sense....there is so much more Pelini needs to work on...defenses win championships, he needs to stay in his zone.

I must have missed the part where Bo stopped coaching defense and is now JT's personal QB tutor.

• Fire 1