Jamal Turner QB "experiment"

I figured Heard would be the prime example mentioned. I don't feel like he was that mismanaged. It seems like it evident that he wasn't going to beat out Ameer. He was an incredible talent and we wanted to get him on the field. Even if we didn't try him at another position, I can't see him sticking with the program as Ameer's second fiddle. Not to mention, we stuck with him when he couldn't make grades, but he splits when he can't beat out his peer.

I disagree. Not saying Braylon Heard would have beat out Ameer Abdullah, but he deserved more carries in 2012 IMO. I remember him performing well in the few carries he got...and I don't remember him turning the ball over. I had heard Ameer was even quoted saying he thought Heard deserved more carries at some point that season, but I wasn't able to find the article on google (does anyone else remember this?).

The thing that most comes to mind (for me) regarding Heard was the 2012 UCLA game. 4th quarter (somewhere between 12 & 13 minutes left in the game), Nebraska has the ball at the UCLA 20. The game is tied 27-27. It is 3rd & 2. Mike Marrow is given the rock & stuffed for no gain. Maher then misses a 37 yard field goal. I severely question why Mike Marrow (who had less time in the program than Heard & reportedly showed up to fall camp overweight) was trusted with the ball in that critical situation over Heard, as I feel a 1st down there may have changed the outcome of the game.

Its water under the bridge now, I have zero complaints about our current running back situation (other than I feel that Beck has been way too quick to abandon the run game in the past, even in games when Nebraska was having success running the ball - & it'd be nice to have less fumbles). But I definitely see why Heard may have felt he was being d1**ed around with.

• Fire 1

Until Heard lights it up for Kentucky and proves Bo and staff wrong, I'm a consider that example null and void.

Like Aaron Green for TCU?

Or Cody Green for Tulsa?

How many kids have transferred out of here and lit it up... anywhere? Anyone?

So you agree with me? That it's nothing to be concerned about? That he's gone and it is what it is? Just wanna be clear. There's lot of misunderstanding going on around here lately. Dont wanna piss of the big guy. :lol:

Oh umm.....a piss of the big guy sounds like precisely something you would want. Now piss OFF the big guy (Knapplc) you don't ever want to do. I happen to know that regardless of the old man you all think he is, he's actually a large, built, athletic, badass dude that would kick your teeth in at any given moment. Don't Fuk with the Knapp.

I figured Heard would be the prime example mentioned. I don't feel like he was that mismanaged. It seems like it evident that he wasn't going to beat out Ameer. He was an incredible talent and we wanted to get him on the field. Even if we didn't try him at another position, I can't see him sticking with the program as Ameer's second fiddle. Not to mention, we stuck with him when he couldn't make grades, but he splits when he can't beat out his peer.

I disagree. Not saying Braylon Heard would have beat out Ameer Abdullah, but he deserved more carries in 2012 IMO. I remember him performing well in the few carries he got...and I don't remember him turning the ball over. I had heard Ameer was even quoted saying he thought Heard deserved more carries at some point that season, but I wasn't able to find the article on google (does anyone else remember this?).

The thing that most comes to mind (for me) regarding Heard was the 2012 UCLA game. 4th quarter (somewhere between 12 & 13 minutes left in the game), Nebraska has the ball at the UCLA 20. The game is tied 27-27. It is 3rd & 2. Mike Marrow is given the rock & stuffed for no gain. Maher then misses a 37 yard field goal. I severely question why Mike Marrow (who had less time in the program than Heard & reportedly showed up to fall camp overweight) was trusted with the ball in that critical situation over Heard, as I feel a 1st down there may have changed the outcome of the game.

Its water under the bridge now, I have zero complaints about our current running back situation (other than I feel that Beck has been way too quick to abandon the run game in the past, even in games when Nebraska was having success running the ball - & it'd be nice to have less fumbles). But I definitely see why Heard may have felt he was being d1**ed around with.

Braylon was injured through a good portion of the 2012 season.

Braylon was injured through a good portion of the 2012 season.

I do remember Heard being injured...but only missed 2 games that year (according to huskers.com http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205213152&). Had a decent season for the limited number of carries he did get. Played in 12 games, 52 carries, 348 net yards, 6.7 yards per carry, 3 Touchdowns. I also don't remember any turnovers on his part. I feel he deserved more carries

I do remember (in 2012) after one game Pelini said he limited Heard's carries as a precaution but would've used him more if needed...but I think you may be thinking about the 2011 season (he had a leg infection at some point that season, if I am recalling this correct)

Until Heard lights it up for Kentucky and proves Bo and staff wrong, I'm a consider that example null and void.

Like Aaron Green for TCU?

Or Cody Green for Tulsa?

How many kids have transferred out of here and lit it up... anywhere? Anyone?

So you agree with me? That it's nothing to be concerned about? That he's gone and it is what it is? Just wanna be clear. There's lot of misunderstanding going on around here lately. Dont wanna piss of the big guy. :lol:

Oh umm.....a piss of the big guy sounds like precisely something you would want. Now piss OFF the big guy (Knapplc) you don't ever want to do. I happen to know that regardless of the old man you all think he is, he's actually a large, built, athletic, badass dude that would kick your teeth in at any given moment. Don't Fuk with the Knapp.

OMG you guys. As if. :funnyhahah

And yes, Mr. A., that's what I meant. We're in agreement.

And I'd ask WHY exactly Nebraska is in a situation where there's really only two options at QB coming into a season,

Probably the same reason the almighty Alabama Crimson Tide are relying on a 2nd string transfer from another school (who's taken about 50 snaps and never scored a touchdown) to take the job.

Roster turnover.

I +1'd this post, but have to revisit the comparison. It turns out Alabama has six scholarship quarterbacks competing for the job. These 5:

Sr. Blake Sims :star :star :star :star

So. Alec Morris :star :star :star

RFr. Cooper Bateman :star :star :star :star

RFr. Parker McLeod :star :star :star

TFr. David Cornwell :star :star :star :star

To which is added that "2nd string transfer from another school" Jacob Coker, whose status as a prospect soared after losing a high-profile battle with Jameis Winston for the FSU job, and who arrives there in May.

Let's say freshman David Cornwell, who was given position rankings of #4, #4, #7, and #3 by 247, ESPN, Scout, and Rivals, doesn't figure into this race at all and is destined to redshirt. That's still five and the 'roster turnover' comparison with Nebraska doesn't even come close. I'm sure roster turnover does happen, and it's never easy to go from one QB to the next, but the Tide are hardly unprepared. In fact, they're about as impressively prepared as it's possible to be.

I'm disappointed though, that SI.com failed to list Nebraska in their article spotlighting ten QB competitions to watch in the spring, not even in the five honorable mentions. I really think we should be up there and the TA/JS clash is a good one.

Instead of a quarterback battle, SI is too busy writing articles of disbelief that Bo Pelini is still the coach at Nebraska so we can keep posting about our alleged poor national perception.

I really feel sorry for you if you actually think this.

What is more of a story for a national college football fan? A story about two quarterbacks no one but Nebraska fans know about or our "crazy" coach? Your answer will tell a lot of your ability to see what the nation sees.

I appreciate your sympathy. I will honestly say I truly truly don't care about our "national perception". There's not even a way to "measure" it other than media polls, which make me roll my eyes. In summary, I don't care about it.

For not being nationally relevant, there seems to be a lot of discussion about how people around the country view our program.

• Fire 1

I appreciate your sympathy. I will honestly say I truly truly don't care about our "national perception". There's not even a way to "measure" it other than media polls, which make me roll my eyes. In summary, I don't care about it.

For not being nationally relevant, there seems to be a lot of discussion about how people around the country view our program.

Relevant in the way of "what's going on over there? You guys used to be great!!!!," which is relevant I guess.

My ultimate point is, we aren't the best judges of how we look. And nationally, well, as many like to say here, it ain't the 90's anymore.