Jamal Turner QB "experiment"

you are not alone. armstrong has a lot of poise in the pocket. he needs to progress past rookie mistakes, but i think we should have a pretty stout offense next season.

and furthermore, i have a lot of confidence in beck. the concern is the defense, which should always be the huskers bread and butter. it is what separates good teams from great teams.

I disagree; IMO the defense (at this point) is more proven than the offense. Secondary is the biggest question mark (on D)...but it looks like Pelini & Warren should have some talent to work with

After a bad half against Northwestern, the D has showed up every game since. Given how the defense played in the second half of the 2013 season & returning talent, I expect them to be solid

EDIT - Just for clarification, I am disagreeing that the defense is more of a concern than the offense at this point. I agree that defense is what seperates good teams from great teams.

you are not alone. armstrong has a lot of poise in the pocket. he needs to progress past rookie mistakes, but i think we should have a pretty stout offense next season.

and furthermore, i have a lot of confidence in beck. the concern is the defense, which should always be the huskers bread and butter. it is what separates good teams from great teams.

I disagree; IMO the defense (at this point) is more proven than the offense. Secondary is the biggest question mark (on D)...but it looks like Pelini & Warren should have some talent to work with

A ton of OL guys got great reps last year, as well as Armstrong, and of course there are the RB's. I really think they're fine in staying the course on O. Fix the D

• Fire 1

A ton of OL guys got great reps last year, as well as Armstrong, and of course there are the RB's. I really think they're fine in staying the course on O. Fix the D

We only return one OT with any meaningful game time (Sterup). We lose our #1 red zone target at WR. QB is still a question mark IMO... Armstrong showed he has potential last year & competition should be fierce, but I still see the most important position as a question mark at this point. Can the offense fix the turnover problems? Another question mark. Also, I love what we have at RB.

We only return one OT with any meaningful game time (Sterup). We lose our #1 red zone target at WR. QB is still a question mark IMO... Armstrong showed he has potential last year & competition should be fierce, but I still see the most important position as a question mark at this point. Can the offense fix the turnover problems? Another question mark. Also, I love what we have at RB.

We can agree to disagree on Armstrong, and he definitely needs more reps, but I cannot be convinced that Turner has more upside there in his sr season than Armstrong or Stanton. At all.

Didn't Darlington enroll in January? Throw a green jersey on and work on him. Even that would be better.

Darlington might not even be medically available this season, at least outside of an emergency.

Isn't it worrying to you that one man down and we're throwing a raw and untested redshirt freshman out there? How can preparing another option be a bad thing?

Jamal Turner isn't any more tested than Stanton if we're talking about quarterbacks with game time under their belt. Sure he's played WR, but whether it's him or Stanton under center after an injury to Armstrong, the d they're facing is still salty and coming hard, and neither will be "ready" for it. And that's to say nothing of the fact that a lot of people seem to think Stanton can win the 1 spot anyway, so why are we worried about how he handles things if that's true. I just think this is a weird thing to toss in when the biggest story this spring (and something I was really looking forward to) was a Armstrong/Stanton competition.

And I'd ask WHY exactly Nebraska is in a situation where there's really only two options at QB coming into a season, but I'm not interested in 387 more replies saying how negative I am.

We can agree to disagree on Armstrong, and he definitely needs more reps, but I cannot be convinced that Turner has more upside there in his sr season than Armstrong or Stanton. At all.

Didn't Darlington enroll in January? Throw a green jersey on and work on him. Even that would be better.

I fully agree with you there...however Nebraska had to rely on a 3rd string QB to beat Northwestern...also had to start a 3rd string QB against Iowa. Darlington is practicing with the team & in a green no contact jersey. However, I'm thinking Bo may not be willing to play Darlington this season due to safety issues (2 concussions the past year, 1 that hospitalized him for a bit).

531b91ceb2916.preview-620.jpg

Yeah, you're right. Now how about if Armstrong and Stanton are both injured? Multiple times in recent years we've seen more than one quarterback unavailable due to injury. Then what are we down to?

I'm all for implementing a Wildcat package too, which could be all this amounts to in the end. I really do not see the negatives here, given what is the reality of the situation. The QB position is wide open at this point, and the more competition, the better for all.

As for why, you're free to take shots at the staff on that one. I mentioned earlier, but we've had some issues retaining quarterbacks lately. I just don't see how the top 3 options this fall aren't going to be, in some order, JT, Stanton, and TA.

Yeah, you're right. Now how about if Armstrong and Stanton are both injured? Multiple times in recent years we've seen more than one quarterback unavailable due to injury. Then what are we down to?

I'm all for implementing a Wildcat package too, which could be all this amounts to in the end. I really do not see the negatives here, given what is the reality of the situation. The QB position is wide open at this point, and the more competition, the better for all.

As for why, you're free to take shots at the staff on that one. I mentioned earlier, but we've had some issues retaining quarterbacks lately. I just don't see how the top 3 options this fall aren't going to be, in some order, JT, Stanton, and TA.

I'm likely asking a foolish question here, but Fife isn't a option? He can't get reps? I'd be fine with this if Turner had WR down pat, which he doesn't, so now this is a situation that, what? He splits reps? I don't see how he improves at either position in that scenario.

RK3 was an amazing walk-on QB story and far exceeded anyone's expectations last year. Fyfe's a sophomore.

I'm as down about the state of the football program as anyone here, but it seems like you're really trying to find something sour about this.

There is a difference between sour and quizzical. I feel things like this hurt the staff and Bo, and I'm wondering why they think it's necessary.

And if Nebraska is down to a 3rd string QB this season, oh man there are going to be so many problems i don't think JT at QB even matters.