Johnny Football vs Tommy Armstong

Of course we would all prefer 7-1 over 4-4. The point is, people use that number as compelling evidence that he was or is going to be really great, and it's a fallacy. Plus there were tons of other freshman quarterbacks not named Winston or Manziel that performed just as well if not better than Tommy last season.

Since people might accuse me of being an "Armstrong basher" after reading that, I hope more than anything that there won't be any sophomores (besides Jameis) with better years than him next season.

Still bugs me when people praise Armstrong for starting eight games and going 7-1. I mean he did some really good things, but Ron Kellogg deserves the credit for Northwestern and Penn State and the other six games are made up of South Dakota State (FCS), Illinois (4-8), Purdue (1-11), Michigan (7-6), Michigan State (Lost), and Georgia, which was a hell of a game.

Just another arbitrary statistic based on a technicality.

Irony.

#9wins

• Fire 2
Still bugs me when people praise Armstrong for starting eight games and going 7-1. I mean he did some really good things, but Ron Kellogg deserves the credit for Northwestern and Penn State and the other six games are made up of South Dakota State (FCS), Illinois (4-8), Purdue (1-11), Michigan (7-6), Michigan State (Lost), and Georgia, which was a hell of a game.

Irony.

#9wins

attack-minus-1.png

Irony.

#9wins

attack-minus-1.png

Sick burn.

Of course we would all prefer 7-1 over 4-4. The point is, people use that number as compelling evidence that he was or is going to be really great, and it's a fallacy. Plus there were tons of other freshman quarterbacks not named Winston or Manziel that performed just as well if not better than Tommy last season.

Since people might accuse me of being an "Armstrong basher" after reading that, I hope more than anything that there won't be any sophomores (besides Jameis) with better years than him next season.

The bolded may be very true. But, how many of these quarterbacks that performed as the bolded states are from 1) a power conference, 2) a RSF and 3) had to take over for a starter partway through the season?

I'm not trying to be argumentative but, from a purely speculative standpoint, I'd wager you can't find many that meet those parameters. That might be why I give the 7-1 thing slightly more credit.

I won't accuse you of being a basher, and I certainly don't think the 7-1 is compelling, but I do think it's telling. The team won games when he was in, albeit not very pretty.

(as another side-and-partly-related note... just to clarify... I brought up Winston/Manziel because I think some (not many) people are beginning to view them as a standard. They most certainly aren't. Not accusing you of this, of course)

A couple reports that Stanton had one of his better practices today.

Armstrong also had several good throws today.

Indicating the battle could heat up a bit????? I'm hoping so, again just so it pushes the eventual winner to be better. I'm really excited for whichever one wins it to take it and run with it. It's been a long time since we've had something new at the QB position and I think it could really be the game changer for this season.

Indicating the battle could heat up a bit????? I'm hoping so, again just so it pushes the eventual winner to be better. I'm really excited for whichever one wins it to take it and run with it. It's been a long time since we've had something new at the QB position and I think it could really be the game changer for this season.

Remember how incumbent Lee was the starter going into his last year? And someone by which name we shant mention for fear of another war between posters, came out of nowhere to start for us opening day. Obviously, not the same situation, just saying don't count anyone out cause we could end up with Jamal Turner starting for all we know.

Remember how incumbent Lee was the starter going into his last year? And someone by which name we shant mention for fear of another war between posters, came out of nowhere to start for us opening day. Obviously, not the same situation, just saying don't count anyone out cause we could end up with Jamal Turner starting for all we know.

Lord help us if Turner is the best choice. Obviously between now and Fall alot can happen. My money was and still is on Stanton getting the job. Word on the steet says its Tommy's to lose so either Stanton steps up in a big way or Tommy dosen't overcome his shortcomings from last year. I just loved the presence I got from Stantons highlight vids. Will that translate to the level we need, who knows.

Why does everyone dismiss the thought of Ryker winning the job? I've been on record saying he has the potential to throw a wrench in the QB race. I hope he gets the job. Or that he transfers to a school to get a better look. I just want to see him play college ball.

I don't dismiss him at all. I've seen the guy throw. Cannon arm. I personally love Stanton's short ball game more so than Tommy's, and the writers agree. But as far as Fyfe goes, I just worry as to whether he could execute either the read or power option as well as Stanton and Armstrong can run their preferred ones.