Actual Spring Practice Updates

Mavric

Steven M. Sipple@HuskerExtraSip 3m

Just bloggin': Three Huskers (Moore, Moudy, Davie) to miss spring practice, Pelini says: http://bit.ly/1ce0mfR via @journalstarnews

Summary:

Moudy and Moore have shoulder injuries.

Davie we already knew about (knee)

Gerry will play "some safety"

CJax will play Nickel

Moore? I thought we burned him at the stake already Huskerboard?

Alonzo Moore-WR

Oh.... I thought Tyler Moore.

CJax at Nickel.......damn I can't wait to see that.

Rather see him at CB since we have JMitch and.........nothing there, and since Cockerell was brought in to allegedly play nickel. Oh well, let the roster mismanagement continue on.....

What a misinformed post...almost comical. Do you realize that Ciante was always listed as the "Nickel" but when we went to a two CB set he was one of the two CB's? All they were saying is that CJax will be a Nickel prospect when we are in that formation, which just so happens to be the most important defensive position in Bo's defense and a position that gives a lot of chances of "playmaking". Also what have you seen that makes you so confident that CJax would bring more to that other CB position then Rose or Davie (given he recovers like most guys do now from ACL).

• Fire 1

What a misinformed post...almost comical. Do you realize that Ciante was always listed as the "Nickel" but when we went to a two CB set he was one of the two CB's?

No s*** Sherlock, you don't say???

All they were saying is that CJax will be a Nickel prospect when we are in that formation, which just so happens to be the most important defensive position in Bo's defense and a position that gives a lot of chances of "playmaking".

Interesting, because I haven't heard any mention of CJax playing CB. I could have missed that information, and if you have a link to it, I'd be glad to be educated. Thanks.

Also what have you seen that makes you so confident that CJax would bring more to that other CB position then Rose or Davie (given he recovers like most guys do now from ACL).

Nothing, cause the guy has never had a shot to play CB. What little I saw of Rose last year wasn't the best, so unless he takes a huge leap, I'm not counting on him. As for Davie, I was actually pretty high on him, until he blew out his knee. And if you haven't been paying attention, he hasn't played since, won't play in Spring ball, so his status/health are apparently up in the air right now.

If CJax can take Ciante's place at both CB and nickle, then great. But he's been in limbo for 2 years, so I'm not sold on him taking on learning both positions (one being the most important in Bo's defense, per you) by fall. And if he does make that jump, who's CB #3?

What a misinformed post...almost comical. Do you realize that Ciante was always listed as the "Nickel" but when we went to a two CB set he was one of the two CB's?

No s*** Sherlock, you don't say???

All they were saying is that CJax will be a Nickel prospect when we are in that formation, which just so happens to be the most important defensive position in Bo's defense and a position that gives a lot of chances of "playmaking".

Interesting, because I haven't heard any mention of CJax playing CB. I could have missed that information, and if you have a link to it, I'd be glad to be educated. Thanks.

Also what have you seen that makes you so confident that CJax would bring more to that other CB position then Rose or Davie (given he recovers like most guys do now from ACL).

Nothing, cause the guy has never had a shot to play CB. What little I saw of Rose last year wasn't the best, so unless he takes a huge leap, I'm not counting on him. As for Davie, I was actually pretty high on him, until he blew out his knee. And if you haven't been paying attention, he hasn't played since, won't play in Spring ball, so his status/health are apparently up in the air right now.

If CJax can take Ciante's place at both CB and nickle, then great. But he's been in limbo for 2 years, so I'm not sold on him taking on learning both positions (one being the most important in Bo's defense, per you) by fall. And if he does make that jump, who's CB #3?

To start off, not sure what made me come off so hostile in that first post, musta been crabby...apologies. It's been stated by multiple people he moved back to CB/Nickel from safety during bowl practice. I think he hadn't had the shot to play CB two years ago when he was at that position because he wasn't ready/the best option. I like Rose in pass coverage, his lack of physicality makes me worry in the run game. Like yourself I really liked what I was seeing from Davie, thought he might crack the regular rotation till hurt knee. And I know he won't play spring ball but is suppose to be ready to go come fall ball, ACL recoveries are much easier now then 5 years ago. I really hope/think CJax can pick up the Nickel position, he is the perfect physical build for it...and a good nickelback makes our D so much better. CJax was very frustrated last season but I think the light clicked for him on knowing what he has to do to see the field. As for #3 CB....if Davie returns to his form of old I will give the edge to him over Rose. However I have loved Trai Mosley from day 1 and if he can get down the mental side he can make a serious push.

• Fire 1
To start off, not sure what made me come off so hostile in that first post, musta been crabby...apologies. It's been stated by multiple people he moved back to CB/Nickel from safety during bowl practice. I think he hadn't had the shot to play CB two years ago when he was at that position because he wasn't ready/the best option. I like Rose in pass coverage, his lack of physicality makes me worry in the run game. Like yourself I really liked what I was seeing from Davie, thought he might crack the regular rotation till hurt knee. And I know he won't play spring ball but is suppose to be ready to go come fall ball, ACL recoveries are much easier now then 5 years ago. I really hope/think CJax can pick up the Nickel position, he is the perfect physical build for it...and a good nickelback makes our D so much better. CJax was very frustrated last season but I think the light clicked for him on knowing what he has to do to see the field. As for #3 CB....if Davie returns to his form of old I will give the edge to him over Rose. However I have loved Trai Mosley from day 1 and if he can get down the mental side he can make a serious push.

No problem, and I too apologize for any smart a$$edness.

I agree with much of what you said. I wonder if Joseph will make a jump, kind of forgot about that guy? I wonder if Cockerell will fit in somewhere this season, especially since he will be practicing in the spring. I think that Mosley will be a good one, but like most freshman, if he isn't getting meaningful snaps I'd love to see him redshirt.

One of my biggest frustrations with this staff is how they manage the roster, so I'm fairly critical of that.

• Fire 1

No problem, and I too apologize for any smart a$$edness.

I agree with much of what you said. I wonder if Joseph will make a jump, kind of forgot about that guy? I wonder if Cockerell will fit in somewhere this season, especially since he will be practicing in the spring. I think that Mosley will be a good one, but like most freshman, if he isn't getting meaningful snaps I'd love to see him redshirt.

One of my biggest frustrations with this staff is how they manage the roster, so I'm fairly critical of that.

I 100% forgot about Boaz Joseph! I know there was talk he might work at some Nickel too, have heard he is an elite athlete. Hard for me to get a read on Cockrell....but the staff doesn't take any JUCO so I will trust em there.

Schedule, per LJS:

Saturday, March 8 10:30 a.m. Coach Pelini, 2-4 selected players, first 15 minutes open to shoot

Monday, March 10 3:45 p.m. Requested offensive players available

Wednesday, March 12 3:45 p.m. Coach Pelini, requested defensive players, first 15 minutes open to shoot

Friday, March 14 3:45 p.m. No Media access

Saturday, March 15 TBA A.M. Coach Pelini only

Monday, March 17 3:45 p.m. Requested offensive players available

Wednesday, March 19 3:45 p.m. Coach Pelini, requested defensive players

Thursday, March 20 TBA No Media

Monday, March 31 3:45 p.m. Coach Pelini, requested offensive players, first 15 minutes open to shoot

Wednesday, April 2 3:45 p.m. Requested defensive players

Friday, April 4 3:45 p.m. No Media

Saturday, April 5 TBA A.M. Coach Pelini only

Monday, April 7 3:45 p.m. 4-6 selected players available

Wednesday, April 9 3:45 p.m. Coach Pelini, 4-6 selected players, first 15 minutes open to shoot

Saturday, April 12 2 p.m. Red-White Spring Game at Memorial Stadium

So is this the start of the "One voice" thing that's been talked about. How the HC is the man who talks so the message is for sure always the same coming from him?

As of now, assistants are not listed on the itinerary to do interviews, but we'll see how that plays out.

They seem to be wondering that as well. Pelini said a couple days ago he hadn't decided yet. We'll probably have to see if they end up talking or not.

Oh.... I thought Tyler Moore.

He won't be at our spring practice either, in case you were curious.

After getting whipped on the reg and becoming a gatorfan whipping-boy this last season I wonder if he wishes he was still here. I'd hope he realizes now that Cotton wasn't just being hard on him,that he needs to get over he sense of entitlement and get better.